Author Topic: collision model  (Read 21976 times)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: collision model
« Reply #120 on: July 21, 2017, 05:12:58 PM »
Flippz when a collision happens to both players it still isn't the same collision. Because the internet puts you in a different position on the other player's PC, you might miss the player who hits you on his PC or you might hit him differently than he hits you or you might coincidentally hit him the same way and get the same damage.

In any case you only have to avoid collisions on your PC where you can see them if you're looking in the right direction.

Fault and damage to the other player are not useful considerations, it's just the internet creating a situation that needed a solution and we have the best one.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #121 on: July 21, 2017, 09:22:36 PM »
I guess my question is, is there not away for info to be shared and dealt out by the server because obviously I cant trust my computer because what it shows me is not really happening ehh.

Ok.  You're almost there, Flippz.  That is a good question.  The reason it's not done on the server is because due to the amount of time it takes to get the information from the server to your computer, one of two things would happen:

If absolutely everything was controlled by the server, there would be whatever amount of delay is between you and the server for every single thing you do in the game.  Every control input would have a delay on it and any hiccup in your connection would result in your control inputs taking even longer to get to the server.  This would make gunnery and flying worse in every aspect.

If things worked the way they do now, but the server was the one to decide whether there was a collision or not, it would mean you'd take damage sometimes when there was no collision on you end.  You'd pass near another plane and fall from the sky with damage.

Your computer shows you exactly what happens to your plane and your plane only in a collision.  What happens (or doesn't happen) on his end to his plane is calculated on his end and passed along to you from the server.  Whatever you see happen to his plane on your end at the moment of collision is only an approximation.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #122 on: July 21, 2017, 09:32:28 PM »
Remember, you may get a collision message, and not take damage. It's an informational message.  Don't hit stuff, don't let stuff hit you based on what you see on YOUR screen and you'll be fine.

There isn't a better solution for an internet based game.
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #123 on: July 21, 2017, 10:18:45 PM »
We are not trying to be a holes here. If you can avoid hitting any one on your computer you will never get a collision/damage. That includes some bozo flying up your tailpipe. Roll out of the way and you avoid the collision. That is how it works. YOU are in control with the way they set it up.

Offline Zygote404

• Copper Member
« Reply #124 on: July 23, 2017, 04:06:41 AM »
Perhaps a well thought out sticky post with pictures and video posted by HTC might be in order.  This way when someone complains about the model, "go to the sticky" would end the discussion.
Might be a good idea - some J0ker guy collided with me the other day and started whinging about me colliding with him.

I told him since he died and I didn't he failed to avoid me not the other way around then him n his squaddies proceeded to pick me repeatedly for it in F4U-4 (always in 152 so I'm easy to spot).

Was a great learning experience since I'm in a sort of take every fight with the 152 to learn it through seat hours and mistake :)

But yeah clearly even vets have no clue how collisions work

« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 04:08:17 AM by Zygote404 »

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #125 on: July 23, 2017, 05:46:41 AM »
<snip>

You would be surprised at how much other stuff they are clueless on as well.
AH Supporter Since Tour 35

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #126 on: July 23, 2017, 06:15:51 AM »
People still think you can "reset" the map room with friendly troops  :rofl :rofl
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #127 on: July 23, 2017, 06:58:48 AM »

Some people think that Coors Light is actually beer.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Becinhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #128 on: July 23, 2017, 01:44:10 PM »
Some people think that Coors Light is actually beer.

It's more like having sex in a canoe. It's $&@"&$@ close to water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
412th Braunco Mustangs OG
412th FNVG FSO
80th FS "Headhunters" MA

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #129 on: July 23, 2017, 03:16:51 PM »
Might be a good idea - some J0ker guy collided with me the other day and started whinging about me colliding with him.

I told him since he died and I didn't he failed to avoid me not the other way around then him n his squaddies proceeded to pick me repeatedly for it in F4U-4 (always in 152 so I'm easy to spot).

Was a great learning experience since I'm in a sort of take every fight with the 152 to learn it through seat hours and mistake :)

For stuff like that, there's just no shortage of people who whine when something bad happens to them.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #130 on: July 26, 2017, 07:44:16 AM »
How can you collide and hurt your engine, but the propeller is intact ?
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #131 on: July 26, 2017, 08:59:58 AM »
How can you collide and hurt your engine, but the propeller is intact ?

My guess would be, it is a lack of resolution in the graphic presentation of damage.  I could be wrong.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #132 on: July 26, 2017, 10:35:09 AM »

I can live with it either way, so I'm not requesting a change to the model. That said...

I've come to the conclusion that I [personally] don't like one sided collisions. If the bandit and I are close enough that one of us gets a collision, then we are too close to whine that we didn't hit him. I would like the deterrent to reckless flying more than I would dislike getting a two sided collision that I thought I had avoided. Here's why....

I have learned how to ram a bomber [with my ghost plane on his front end] and avoid damage on mine. When I run out of ammo, I can "one side collided" with buffs and knock them out of the sky, and have done it often. It's also annoying when a pilot turns right into me and breaks my plane only to discover he didn't get a collision too. reckless flying like that can be rewarded in the current system.  No guarantee that people fly less reckless however, but there should be a price for flying like a lunatic [no offense to the player named Lunatic]

:salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #133 on: July 26, 2017, 11:06:49 AM »
I can live with it either way, so I'm not requesting a change to the model. That said...

I've come to the conclusion that I [personally] don't like one sided collisions. If the bandit and I are close enough that one of us gets a collision, then we are too close to whine that we didn't hit him. I would like the deterrent to reckless flying more than I would dislike getting a two sided collision that I thought I had avoided. Here's why....

I have learned how to ram a bomber [with my ghost plane on his front end] and avoid damage on mine. When I run out of ammo, I can "one side collided" with buffs and knock them out of the sky, and have done it often. It's also annoying when a pilot turns right into me and breaks my plane only to discover he didn't get a collision too. reckless flying like that can be rewarded in the current system.  No guarantee that people fly less reckless however, but there should be a price for flying like a lunatic [no offense to the player named Lunatic]

If he didn't hit you on his computer how is he flying like a lunatic?    :headscratch:

Nobody likes the internet effect on air combat. Feel free to post a better solution that doesn't create new problems.   :old:

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #134 on: July 26, 2017, 11:24:09 AM »

Absolutely positively NO!

If I don't have a collision on my front end I do not want to take damage just because you have a collision on your front end.  Your statement that you can cause a collision on the other guys front end and show none on yours is.............circumspect.  Certainly not consistently, sir.
Wag more, bark less.