Author Topic: Rift Summer Sale!  (Read 2664 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: Rift Summer Sale!
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2017, 06:16:45 AM »
No, I do not expect VR to be like TrackIR.  However, my point is, as Copprhed has also articulated, the range of movement required to view behind in VR is 180 degrees because it lacks the peripheral vision aspect that we have in real life.  If I turn my head 90 degrees I can actually see behind me with peripheral vision.  With VR as it currently stands all I see is that 90 degrees.  TrackIR compensates for that with a sped up axis and I understand why that may not be an option with VR due to nausea.

With TrackIR I do not have to use view mapped buttons, with VR I believe in order to be competitive the use of view buttons is required.  There are several posts on this forum around that topic.

Thanks for your input Vulcan, I don't find personal insults are the best way to respond to a point of view.

I have never had to turn 180 degrees to follow a target.  I swivel in my chair if I need to be looking back for any time at all.  The hat trick was provided for those who have limited mobility in your chair.

Your original assessment/hyperbole of "it is next to useless" is just not accurate for everyone.  I could say the same thing about TrackIR as I cannot use it at all.

The VR headsets (Vive and Oculus) currently have fewer limitations than any other viewing interface.

So tell me, does your head rotate 180 degrees in either direction? can you really swivel your head to see all the way in the back? I dare say not. No pilot can turn to see all the way in the rear. Using the hate to check 6 IS technically cheating because it allows us to do something that's not humanly possible.

Using TrackIR and moving your head 3 degrees to look behind you is no different than using the hat to reset the point of view in a VR headset.  Or not even using TrackIR and just using hat views also allows you to look 180 degrees behind you and you do not have to move your head at all.

All these tools are to get around the viewing limitations of a flat 2D monitor, whether you are wearing it or not.

Like it or not, there is still nothing more immersive than flying with the current generation of VR headsets.  They come the closest to emulating what it is really like to be in the cockpit of a plane.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 08:30:15 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2017, 07:45:01 PM »
Rift + touch for $400 is a super deal, I paid $900 Cdn for each of my Rift with NO touch controllers when they first came out.

I think 95% of the players who try the Rift will enjoy it and get great things from using it in flight sims.  Is VR perfect - no.  As stated, without being able to use your peripheral vision, looking directly aft can be a challenge - like Skuzzy said, a chair with castors which can pivot, or pivot on a fixed stand somehow,  helps a lot in this area, I use a DX Racer with large 5" rolling casts and a pivoting base on it on a smooth surface for this very reason.  TrackIR is still faster, and in terms of competitiveness, I would say hat+TrackIR is probably going to have a slight advantage, although VR players once they get accustomed to how it works in combination with the hat capability HTC has IMO can come very close, possibly even equal in terms of keeping track of a target.

4 hundred bucks.  It's a steal really.  Every person I know who tried VR in this game has been impressed, even with the few small disadvantages. 

« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 07:48:35 PM by Gman »

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2017, 02:25:22 AM »
I have never had to turn 180 degrees to follow a target.  I swivel in my chair if I need to be looking back for any time at all.  The hat trick was provided for those who have limited mobility in your chair.

Your original assessment/hyperbole of "it is next to useless" is just not accurate for everyone.  I could say the same thing about TrackIR as I cannot use it at all.

The VR headsets (Vive and Oculus) currently have fewer limitations than any other viewing interface.

Using TrackIR and moving your head 3 degrees to look behind you is no different than using the hat to reset the point of view in a VR headset.  Or not even using TrackIR and just using hat views also allows you to look 180 degrees behind you and you do not have to move your head at all.

All these tools are to get around the viewing limitations of a flat 2D monitor, whether you are wearing it or not.

Like it or not, there is still nothing more immersive than flying with the current generation of VR headsets.  They come the closest to emulating what it is really like to be in the cockpit of a plane.
YES I KNOW, with oculus having been used by you, no going back. lol Curious as to why you couldnt use TrackIr? I do have to agree with you on this. Even with the lack of resolution, the game play is at a whole new level.
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2017, 05:55:38 AM »
YES I KNOW, with oculus having been used by you, no going back. lol Curious as to why you couldnt use TrackIr? I do have to agree with you on this. Even with the lack of resolution, the game play is at a whole new level.

I never could get passed the vertigo from moving my head and everything moving out of sync.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2017, 09:29:21 AM »
Mine is arriving tomorrow!  :aok  :D
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2017, 09:42:50 AM »

Woohooo!!!  :banana: :banana:

Remember at first it may make you feel really sick. Try it for very short periods at first.  That will go away pretty quickly and then it's pretty amazing. The more you move your head and the plane at first the more sick you may feel.

You should probably pick up a small desktop fan for your face, it can get warm in the oculus and the air will help you not to feel as sick.  :aok

Mine is arriving tomorrow!  :aok  :D
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline Flossy

• Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2017, 09:52:10 AM »
Remember at first it may make you feel really sick. Try it for very short periods at first.  That will go away pretty quickly and then it's pretty amazing. The more you move your head and the plane at first the more sick you may feel.
Hopefully I won't be too bad as I have used my husband's Oculus for short periods when I was able to borrow it sometimes.  Moving it between our PCs was too much hassle for me to try it often though and when I saw this offer I just HAD to have one of my own!  I've also briefly tried it at various conventions in the past too.   :)

You should probably pick up a small desktop fan for your face, it can get warm in the oculus and the air will help you not to feel as sick.  :aok
Yeah I have a small USB fan here I can use.  Thanks for the tip!  :aok
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 09:54:14 AM by Flossy »
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2017, 09:52:58 AM »
Ahhh so you know how it is, you might be fine!  :cheers:
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline Flossy

• Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2017, 09:56:21 AM »
Ahhh so you know how it is, you might be fine!  :cheers:
Yeah thanks.  Might need to resurrect my Voice Attack, though I used to have problems with some actions.  I am a touch-typist though so should be OK for typing.  :)
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2017, 03:25:30 PM »
I never could get passed the vertigo from moving my head and everything moving out of sync.
Figured that was why. Think I remembered a post before about your dizziness. I guess I was lucky, TIR fit me like a glove, ok maybe a hat lol. Glove on my head would be weird :x I guess I was just so frustrated with trying to use hat switches that anything would have been better. I did really love it though. I am surprised the VR was easier on you. Either way though,I would still use it, its pretty nice. Ok its pretty BAD Donkey :rock You guys have been Johny on the spot with getting AH and Vr to team so well. DCS's VR is still far from what we have. Havent played much, as far as other games go, but AH has improved its VR support at light speed compared to most other developers, THANK YOU :rock
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Patt2014

• Zinc Member
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2017, 11:56:12 PM »
I'm too cheap. $12 board, 2 cents of solder and the plastic case from my gf's dental floss (and some GF-ack) and pseudo 6dof tracker in 30 mins.

Offline ntrudr

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2017, 09:36:20 AM »
How does it work for old guys that need glasses?  I wear computer glasses with a focal length of 24" when sitting at the PC and progressives for everything else.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2017, 01:21:12 PM »
Your computer glasses should be fine for the Rift. It seems to focus around 24" based on my own glasses. Just make sure they fit inside the Rift, smaller frames are better, and they don't contact the Rift lenses.

You might consider prescription inserts. Sik1 posted this link in another thread. https://widmovr.com/product/oculus-rift-prescription-lenses-adapter/

Offline terrydew

• Copper Member
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2017, 03:33:18 PM »
Your computer glasses should be fine for the Rift. It seems to focus around 24" based on my own glasses. Just make sure they fit inside the Rift, smaller frames are better, and they don't contact the Rift lenses.

You might consider prescription inserts. Sik1 posted this link in another thread. https://widmovr.com/product/oculus-rift-prescription-lenses-adapter/

I think it is your distance vision that is needed for the rift or at least that's the answer I got when researching it?

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2017, 04:18:29 PM »
I think it is your distance vision that is needed for the rift or at least that's the answer I got when researching it?

I thought the same thing. I could be wrong but my impression now is that the binocular vision gives the correct depth perception but the distance you focus is just to the screens, with the fresnel lenses moving the plane of focus a comfortable distance away from your eyes.

Ntrudr may need a different prescription for optimal vision but my guess is the reading glasses will work.

It's important to line up the eye, Rift, and glasses lenses for clarity.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 04:26:31 PM by FLS »