Author Topic: Rift Summer Sale!  (Read 2663 times)

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
Re: Rift Summer Sale!
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2017, 05:23:09 AM »

Ntrudr may need a different prescription for optimal vision but my guess is the reading glasses will work.

Reading glasses will not improve it, in fact quite the opposite if you have myopia (short-sightedness) which is the inability to focus on distant objects.  The fresnel lenses built into the Oculus headset have a correction that allows people with good eyesight to appear as if they are viewing an object at a distance when it is only an inch or so from their eyes.  The only other place (apart from the site quoted above) that I know does prescription lenses for the Oculus and the Vive are vr-lens-lab.com.  It is worth visiting their website for a good explanation of how both the Oculus and their lenses work technically.  My husband has a pair of those lenses which work perfectly, and I have a pair on order which coincidentally should be arriving today.

My husband advises NOT to wear ordinary spectacles inside the headset.  The lenses on his first Oculus became scratched due to contact with the glasses; fortunately, that Oculus had a fault (fortunate for him) and the whole headset was replaced, which was one way to get rid of the scratches - lesson learned.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 05:31:22 AM by Flossy »
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2017, 09:41:27 AM »
Flossy I am very myopic and wear glasses with my Rift so my advice is from my own experience. It seems to me that the focus is closer than I expected in the Rift but distance is rendered normally by the binocular vision from the 2 different screens in the headset.  Maybe it's just the pixels that focus closer and not the image but I can use my reading glasses or my normal glasses. The reading glasses aren't as clear for distance but they are good enough to use. Somebody with better corrected eyesight may have a different experience.

I think Ntrudr's single vision reading glasses may be better than progressive lenses. The focus changes in the Rift as you move the headset up and down so it's important that everything lines up correctly. I don't have progressive lenses so I don't know if that's an issue with them.

I agree the inserts are a better idea than wearing glasses.  :aok

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2017, 05:28:59 PM »
I've seen a reference to the Rift CV1 focus distance being 2 meters, attributed to Michael Abrash of Oculus but I didn't see anything definitive on the Oculus site.

It may be that with the limited resolution it makes no sense to focus further than you have a clear image.  Focusing at infinity creates problems with near focus so a closer focus distance addresses both issues.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2017, 09:36:31 PM »

Reading glasses will not improve it, in fact quite the opposite if you have myopia (short-sightedness) which is the inability to focus on distant objects.  The fresnel lenses built into the Oculus headset have a correction that allows people with good eyesight to appear as if they are viewing an object at a distance when it is only an inch or so from their eyes.  The only other place (apart from the site quoted above) that I know does prescription lenses for the Oculus and the Vive are vr-lens-lab.com.  It is worth visiting their website for a good explanation of how both the Oculus and their lenses work technically.  My husband has a pair of those lenses which work perfectly, and I have a pair on order which coincidentally should be arriving today.

My husband advises NOT to wear ordinary spectacles inside the headset.  The lenses on his first Oculus became scratched due to contact with the glasses; fortunately, that Oculus had a fault (fortunate for him) and the whole headset was replaced, which was one way to get rid of the scratches - lesson learned.
:furious :furious :furious wOULD HAVE BEEN NICE TO know EARLIER LOL yUP, MINE i COULDNT TELL THEY WERE EVEN MAKING CONTACT. sCRATCHED THE rIFT AND MY GLASSES SOMETHING FIERCE :uhoh
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain