Author Topic: Dunkirk  (Read 9881 times)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Re: Dunkirk
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2017, 12:06:52 PM »
Thanks for the film clip Rich.

(1) Goering wanted to impress how powerful the Luftwaffe was and how air power could win battles.  So the German tanks and troops were held in reserve while bombers were solely used to attack the British.

Maybe. Maybe not.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/the-mystery-left-out-of-christopher-nolans-dunkirk-why-didnt-hitler-go-in-for-the-kill

...What exactly had happened on the battlefields in Belgium and France?

After days of disorganized retreat the BEF had surprised the Germans on May 21 by staging a counterattack, using tanks and infantry, at the edge of the northern French city of Arras.

That counterattack seems to have unnerved a man who was to become perhaps the most proficient leader of panzer divisions, General Erwin Rommel. Rommel complained to the German commanding general, Field Marshal Gerd von Rundstedt, that his 7th Panzer Division had been attacked by “hundreds of enemy tanks.” In fact, the British had deployed 74 tanks of which only 16 were the latest generation and able to outfight Rommel’s armor.

But the psychological effect of the unexpected resistance was more powerful than the British tanks. Von Rundstedt, with the support of Hitler, stopped the panzers driving toward Dunkirk and ordered that, first, the resistance at Arras should be dealt with.

Then, at 8pm on May 23, another German commander warned von Rundstedt that other panzer divisions were moving so fast through Belgium and France that their infantry was falling behind the tanks and recommended that the tanks should be halted until the infantry had time to catch up. Von Rundstedt, again with Hitler’s consent, approved a pause of 36 hours, until May 25.

It was this second halt order that saved the BEF. It allowed the British time to establish new lines of defense between the port and beaches of Dunkirk and the German advance.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2017, 02:00:24 PM »
G I dont believe anything I read in the papers. I doubt ANY man would belittle a movie about a battle where he lost buddies.

So, because a 97 year old vet disparages a film, you're now saying he's guilty of stolen valor?  By the way, he's a well known vet of note at the local legion, whose war service record can be researched with Veterans Affairs and a phone call.  He also landed at Sword beach in 44 when he was attached to the 41st Royal Marines as a Petty Officer in the RN.  You can Google his name, he's been in various RESEARCHED books.  Or again, just call VA, if you're so certain he's guilty of lying.  (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlplltP7WdY)

I suppose he stole his Dunkirk decoration, and all the others, as well? 

A retraction/apology is in order, at the very least.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 02:10:52 PM by Gman »

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2017, 02:08:59 PM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 12:05:28 PM by Skuzzy »
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2017, 02:12:12 PM »
That 2 engined one buzzing over the yacht going to Dunkerque? That would be a Blenheim  :old:

It came by so fast in the theater I thought it was  Beau. Thanks.

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2017, 02:17:48 PM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 12:06:35 PM by Skuzzy »

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2017, 02:36:36 PM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 12:07:13 PM by Skuzzy »

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2017, 03:01:15 PM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 12:08:03 PM by Skuzzy »

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2017, 06:14:31 PM »

Offline FBKampfer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2017, 07:26:18 PM »
"He's not leading him enough!!!"

And I thought, I wonder how many of us have more time in SIM than those pilots had hours of training.

I don't know how many hours they had or what their percentage of newbs was.

Really enjoyed the movie.

I'm fairly certain half the vets here could give any fighter pilot in the world a run for their money.

And related to that, if things ever get serious in a war, I wonder just how much of the ACM expertise is stored away in people like us.
AvA Development Group
Freebird SAC member

Great men are forged in fire; it is the privilege of lesser men to light the flames.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2017, 08:50:52 PM »
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 12:08:44 PM by Skuzzy »

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2017, 09:20:39 PM »
I'm fairly certain half the vets here could give any fighter pilot in the world a run for their money.

And related to that, if things ever get serious in a war, I wonder just how much of the ACM expertise is stored away in people like us.
It depends. if we are talking video games the gamers would win, if it is real WW2 fighters the gamers would die Before they left the ground. No amount of time in AH would prepare you for a real fighter.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2017, 07:58:06 AM »
I wonder how many of us have more time in SIM than those pilots had hours of training.

Well, training nowadays is MUCH better than during WWII, and more conclusive, and I promise most of you here have more Sim time than I do flights and sims combined lol.

It depends. if we are talking video games the gamers would win, if it is real WW2 fighters the gamers would die Before they left the ground. No amount of time in AH would prepare you for a real fighter.

Personally, I agree on both fronts. Anyone who has fought me in game knows it's basically a guaranteed kill for you, lol.

As for the movie, I REALLY REALLY liked it. I think it did an AMAZING job of actually letting the audience experience the struggle. This wasn't a movie about the battle for Dunkirk. This wasn't a grand film about the overarching campaign. This wasn't a film about being a pilot, the glory of air power, or the strategic development of either side during WWII. It wasn't intended to be. This was a film about human experience, and I don't think I've ever seen a movie capture that aspect so well.

It was loud. I mean, RIDICULOUSLY loud, almost as loud as gunfire really is. They did a fantastic job of capturing the jarring effect of gunfire. It was emotional. You felt the anxiety, the misery, the sense of dread. I spent the entire movie in anxious anticipation, waiting to see what happened next. Yes, we know how the overall campaign ended, but again, this was about the individual. A lot of you wanted to see Battle of Britain remade here, but that was never the point of the movie. There are a lot of complaints about not ENOUGH aircraft, and not ENOUGH troops on the beach, but were we honestly expecting to see 50 v 50 aerial battles? 400,000 actual people on a beach? Honestly, I think that may have taken away from effect of the film if they had gone farther.

If you're looking for a remake to Battle of Britain, stay home. If you're looking to watch a film about the German push into france, stay home. If you're looking for large scale action flick, stay home. But if you want to feel like you're really there, in the shoes of an 18 year old British soldier, desperate to find safety, and doubtful you'll ever see home again, this is an AMAZING movie.

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2017, 08:09:56 AM »
Well said Serenity. Nailed it.

As for the movie, I REALLY REALLY liked it. I think it did an AMAZING job of actually letting the audience experience the struggle. This wasn't a movie about the battle for Dunkirk. This wasn't a grand film about the overarching campaign. This wasn't a film about being a pilot, the glory of air power, or the strategic development of either side during WWII. It wasn't intended to be. This was a film about human experience, and I don't think I've ever seen a movie capture that aspect so well.

It was loud. I mean, RIDICULOUSLY loud, almost as loud as gunfire really is. They did a fantastic job of capturing the jarring effect of gunfire. It was emotional. You felt the anxiety, the misery, the sense of dread. I spent the entire movie in anxious anticipation, waiting to see what happened next. Yes, we know how the overall campaign ended, but again, this was about the individual. A lot of you wanted to see Battle of Britain remade here, but that was never the point of the movie. There are a lot of complaints about not ENOUGH aircraft, and not ENOUGH troops on the beach, but were we honestly expecting to see 50 v 50 aerial battles? 400,000 actual people on a beach? Honestly, I think that may have taken away from effect of the film if they had gone farther.

If you're looking for a remake to Battle of Britain, stay home. If you're looking to watch a film about the German push into france, stay home. If you're looking for large scale action flick, stay home. But if you want to feel like you're really there, in the shoes of an 18 year old British soldier, desperate to find safety, and doubtful you'll ever see home again, this is an AMAZING movie.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 08:22:28 AM by Nefarious »
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2017, 10:09:41 AM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 12:02:43 PM by Skuzzy »

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2017, 10:22:24 AM »
My dad noticed that there were almost no markings to identify "the enemy" planes as german.

He also noticed that they called the axis military "the enemy" instead of "the germans".