Author Topic: Dunkirk  (Read 9873 times)

Offline FBKampfer

• Nickel Member
Re: Dunkirk
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2017, 11:09:47 AM »
It depends. if we are talking video games the gamers would win, if it is real WW2 fighters the gamers would die Before they left the ground. No amount of time in AH would prepare you for a real fighter.

Of course assuming we were given time to learn how to actually fly a damn plane. Hardly fair if one person isn't able to operate his weapon.
AvA Development Group
Freebird SAC member

Great men are forged in fire; it is the privilege of lesser men to light the flames.

Offline Hungry

• Nickel Member
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2017, 12:07:00 PM »
You have to factor in the physical demands of flying a real fighter under intense conditions, they wern't exactly sitting in their favorite computer chair sipping alcohol, taking breaks when ever they wanted, I think its ridiculous to compare us to the real war pilot
"I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a Hamburger today"

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2017, 12:29:34 PM »
Of course assuming we were given time to learn how to actually fly a damn plane. Hardly fair if one person isn't able to operate his weapon.

Well, it we also where trained to be fighter pilots then it would be different. But i still dont think the game would do that much difference, you are not going to be able to rope anyone irl.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2017, 03:49:27 PM »
My dad noticed that there were almost no markings to identify "the enemy" planes as german.

He also noticed that they called the axis military "the enemy" instead of "the germans".

Yes, I've heard both of those comments from friends who have seen it. (I haven't as yet)

The general take was that this was more Politically Correct movie making. Not fair to point out which nation were the "bad guys". In short, more moral relativism.

A few said though that this wasn't more PC, it was an attempt just to (as others have said here) show the human experience of war. The decision making process and how things play out despite good intentions or what seemed to be a good idea at the time.

I did see Hacksaw Ridge last night. I would have to say that is one of the most striking movies in terms of showing the gruesome horror of battle. It certainly removes any idea of glory or dulce et decorum est. The hilltop battle segment should be required viewing for anyone with the authority to declare war and send men off to fight. (Looking at you, Congress/President. You folks should have to watch that part 4 or 5 times.)
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2017, 03:51:54 PM »
Yes, I've heard both of those comments from friends who have seen it. (I haven't as yet)

Honestly, I didn't notice any attempt to take the focus off the Germans. That being said, other than the aircraft, you don't really see ANY Germans for most of the movie. I DID think the He-111 looked to have Romanian markings, but that may have just been a funny angle.

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2017, 05:07:03 PM »
Great review Serenity, I'm going to see it tonight.

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/it-was-a-strange-chaos-dunkirk-movie-hits-home-for-wwii-veteran-who-was-there

A better article written in the local Herald paper about Ken Sturdy's opinion on the film and his recollections of the Dunkirk evacuation.  He's one of the few vets that was a part of both the Dunkirk evac (his unit was called up by Adm Bertram Ramsay along with many other to assist with whatever boats they could), as well as hit the beach on the 1st day of the DDay operation on Sword (corrected) beach, attached as a Royal Navy Signalman with the 41 Royal Marines. 

I spoke to Ken for the first time in about a year a couple days ago.  His phone has been busy, but he's familiar with how many people are interested in both WW2 history and the film, and said he'd welcome any calls with questions about Dunkirk or Dday from anyone interested in speaking with him.  If anyone wants to speak to one of the few remaining Vets of both Dunkirk and Dday, PM me for his phone number.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 05:53:39 PM by Gman »

Offline ToeTag

• Silver Member
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2017, 05:35:18 PM »
Heck with the talent here I'll bet a buck it could be done and generate a lot of interest for the game.  Just saying.

I wish they can make a ww2 movie strictly about the missions and air combats between the Russians, Germans, Britain, Italian, Japanese and Americans. Would be great to see the battles from all sides while the war was going on. It would probably be a 3 hours movie but it will be well worth it. What you guys think?
They call it "common sense", then why is it so uncommon?

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2017, 05:35:39 PM »
Movie sucks, acting is pretty bad, specially the airplane fighting scene at the beginning. 45 minutes into the movie I left. Water of money.

Semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2017, 05:51:14 PM »
41 Royal Marine Commando landed on Sword, not Sabre beach.

Sword consisted of Oboe, Peter, Queen and Roger sectors.

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2017, 06:03:02 PM »
Correction, Sword beach.  41 Commando probably was close to Oboe, as they were tasked with landing sort of in the area between Juno and Sword, and Oboe was the most Western sector.  Ken did an interview as well with the BBC back in 2014 regarding his DDay landing that's on YT if you search for it, as well was written about in the book WW2: The Last War Heroes from DDay to Berlin.  You can tell from the BBC interview to his most recent, that his speech has declined rapidly.  He's still pretty sharp though, and again, if anyone is writing, reading, researching, or just interested in Dunkirk/DDay operations, as well as the Atlantic convoy missions, Ken is enthusiastic about speaking to anyone about his experiences still. 

It won't be long before all we'll have is what is recorded and written down from our WW2 vets.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 06:10:52 PM by Gman »

Offline Becinhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2017, 09:24:05 PM »
I enjoyed the movie. It was a more "family friendly" war film. Kinda hard to introduce a youngster to history with a gore fest even though it's more accurate. I did find that the spitfire pilots can't pull lead at all and the 109 pilots didn't negative g stick stir....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
412th Braunco Mustangs OG
412th FNVG FSO
80th FS "Headhunters" MA

Offline stealth

• Silver Member
« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2017, 04:12:23 AM »
I won't spoil anything but the last 2 scenes of the movie brought a tear to my a little bit lol. Was definitely worth the extra cost at the IMAX theater but that's just me.
My Email is ACalex88@gmail.com if you want to contact me

"I shall fear no evil, for I am 80,000 feet and climbing"

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: July 25, 2017, 06:55:44 AM »
British 41 RM Commando landed Sword-Queen-White at Hermanville-sur-Mer and then moved west to Lion-sur-Mer.

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #58 on: July 25, 2017, 01:52:12 PM »
Much of 41 missed their landing on the West side of Oboe, yes, but not all.  The official records say they mislanded near Queen RED, not White, as per the UK.gov national archives.  Wikipedia is the only source I've read that says White, but several books and the UK.gov site all say it was Queen red.  Who knows, it's possible they were in both, so many units missed their landings.

They then moved West towards their objective on the West side of Oboe, and slogged through heavy fighting where 3 AVREs that were attached to 41 were taken out by the anti tank gun the Germans had in Trout, which is in the Oboe sector, or on the West edge of it at least. 

Saw Dunkirk at last.  It was loud.  Different than what I expected, but worth seeing.  I think I need to see it again, maybe a couple times.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 01:58:51 PM by Gman »

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2017, 01:59:32 PM »
Much of 41 missed their landing on the West side of Oboe, yes, but not all.  They mislanded near Queen RED, not White, as per the UK.gov national archives. They then moved West towards their objective on the West side of Oboe, and slogged through heavy fighting where 3 AVREs that were attached to 41 were taken out by the anti tank gun the Germans had in Trout, which is in the Oboe sector, or on the West edge of it at least. 

Saw Dunkirk at last.  It was loud.  Different than what I expected, but worth seeing.  I think I need to see it again, maybe a couple times.
It was loud indeed Gman.  It was a great movie - lots to see.  And the shifting timelines caught me off guard and I struggled to understand the progression of events.  Some sad parts, some butt-clenching action scenes, and mostly, it was done very well. The lack of dialogue was done on purpose as there was soooo much going on in the film and background. Overall, one of my favourite films ever.

I took my dad and my oldest son to this movie - my son enjoyed it immensely...a little too scary for my 9 year old - maybe when he's a little older.  Will be a movie I 'own' for sure.
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech