Author Topic: Anyone use oculus?  (Read 796 times)

Offline toddbobe

• Nickel Member
Anyone use oculus?
« on: August 02, 2017, 09:09:14 PM »
Im thinking of treating myself to oculus rift. If anyone uses it can you give me advice... Worth the $$$?
Todd

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
Re: Anyone use oculus?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 09:16:16 PM »
Check out the All Things VR forum.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 09:16:45 PM »
Check out the VR section in the Help and Support section.

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/board,666.0.html

Edit:

Dang you, dot!
AH Supporter Since Tour 35

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 01:26:01 AM »
You'll be impressed with the Rift - don't get the Vive, the Rift can do all the room scale stuff it can now pretty much, and it's 3x better for in cockpit sims and games.  If you fly other sims, they ones that support it are pretty good too, but AH3 is probably the best implementation of VR so far IMO.  In particular, HTC has implemented a blending of using the hat views/keypad along with the VR head tracking, making checking 6 FAR easier than other games which have no such feature. 

I was an early adopter, and every person in the game I've told about it who has bought one, several players, have stuck with it, and rate it highly. 

Check your PM op.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 06:46:45 AM »
Here is thread from a couple of months ago that you might find useful.

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,387644.0.html

Offline streakeagle

• Silver Member
      • Streak Eagle - Stephen's Website
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 10:32:58 AM »
The VR experience is amazing. I love the 1:1 scaling of head movement. The feeling of being in a 3d cockpit and looking around the canopy frames and having to look over your shoulder around the seat... all fantastic stuff.

Now for the bad news: I never liked playing games at 1024 x 768. As soon as I could I got a monitor that could do 1600x1200 at 85 Hz and a video card that could play my flight sims at that resolution and frame rate. VR makes the resolution look like 640x480. It is a huge step backwards from 1920x1080 or 1600x1200. Also, the field of view feels like you are looking through a paper towel roll or binoculars.

I am finding VR better for the "feeling" of flight, but my 46" 1080p LCD TV is still far superior for combat with the ability to read gauges clearly and see/recognize distant contacts more easily.

So unlike most people that have gotten into VR, I don't think I am quite ready to switch to it for the majority of my flying. It needs way more resolution, way more field of view, and hardware that can pump out the pixels at some ungodly refresh rate to support high resolution/wide field of view.

Also, I have comfort issues. I wear glasses. With the Rift on, my glasses nose pads press pretty hard on the bridge of my nose. After a couple of hours flying, it hurts and feels a lot like a headache. I may have to get contacts for comfort, but I hate contacts. They don't work so well with my severe astigmatism and my eyes dry out pretty fast and fatigue when using computers with contacts.

So, if you have money to burn, I highly recommend getting a Rift and enjoying all the amazing things VR brings to flight sims. But be aware that the image quality and comfort are far inferior to what you can do with conventional monitors and TrackIR.
i5(4690K) MAXIMUS VII HERO(32 Gb RAM) GTX1080(8 Gb RAM) Win10 Home (64-bit)
OUR MISSION: PROTECT THE FORCE, GET THE PICTURES, ...AND KILL MIGS!

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 11:48:19 AM »
It sounds like you might not be getting the best picture with the Rift. I also wear glasses and I have to move the headset up and down to get the precise best position for the best clarity.  I have no trouble reading gauges. The headset is designed so moving it up and down changes the focus a little.  The picture is much better than a 640 x 480 monitor.  The screens are 1080x1200 per eye, the resolution issue is from magnifying the little screens and when you add another pair of lenses they need to be aligned properly. It won't look as clear as a monitor but overall the sim experience is much better with the Rift.

Also, you shouldn't have any pressure on your glasses. Make the straps as loose as you can without the headset shifting and be sure the strap is low on the back of your head. Your glasses may need smaller frames to fit inside the headset better but prescription inserts are probably the best option.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017, 01:57:51 PM »
I will tell you more than once I have either tried to prop my arm up on the canopy fairing or tried to grab the steering wheel in the P-38.

If the rift was sharp and clear, I think the VR usage would be much higher than it is now.

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2017, 06:31:56 PM »
You can also try the Occulus tool tray to increase your pixel density to something like 1.5 or higher depending on your GPU, that`ll help make gauges clearer/etc in a lot of cases.  Other than that, the resolution is what it is, and it'll improve in future years, but for now, while certainly no 1080p much less 2k or 4k, with PD adjustments you can read gauges in most games, and get by.

So far as glasses go, I highly, highly recommend either wearing contact lenses instead, or barring that, pay the $100 or so it takes to order a set of the clip in specialized lenses for the Rift, available for a couple different companies in Europe - they ensure that no contact with the Rift lenses can happen, and are far, far more comfortable than trying to stuff even small frame glasses into the Rift.  The company in Poland charge around $75 incl shipping IRRC for a set of the clip in lenses. 

https://widmovr.com/product/oculus-rift-prescription-lenses-adapter/#prettyPhoto
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 06:33:44 PM by Gman »

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2017, 11:01:47 PM »
You get used to the resolution in time. One other point not mentioned, with NVIDIA cards for sure. The occulus is display port sensitive as far as changing anything in the Nvidia Control panel. You set the changes thru the main display then plug the HDMI on oculus into that port. I adjusted the color pallet and disabled all anti aliasing. Helped alot with brightening up the scene. The super sampling and anti aliasing  was just a resource hog for me, and didnt help much in clearing the scene up. As fast as stuff changes in Aces High the faster frame rate was more important than sharpness anyway, for me anyway. :cheers:
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2017, 07:23:55 AM »
I have a 1080ti and I'm setting mine to 1 at the very highest. So you might want to start a little lower and watch your frame rates.

You can also try the Occulus tool tray to increase your pixel density to something like 1.5 or higher depending on your GPU
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2017, 12:38:14 PM »
I have a 1080ti and I'm setting mine to 1 at the very highest. So you might want to start a little lower and watch your frame rates.

I quite using it.  I did not see it made very much improvement at 1.5.

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2017, 02:07:37 AM »
Also, I have comfort issues. I wear glasses. With the Rift on, my glasses nose pads press pretty hard on the bridge of my nose. After a couple of hours flying, it hurts and feels a lot like a headache. I may have to get contacts for comfort, but I hate contacts. They don't work so well with my severe astigmatism and my eyes dry out pretty fast and fatigue when using computers with contacts.

I strongly recommend ordering some correction lenses using your prescription rather than wearing glasses as they rub against the Oculus lenses and cause some really bad scratches.  I recently bought a Rift and the first thing I did was go to https://vr-lens-lab.com/ and order correction lenses. 
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun