Author Topic: Oculus tips  (Read 995 times)

Offline toddbobe

• Nickel Member
Oculus tips
« on: August 07, 2017, 11:38:34 PM »
I treated myself to oculus can anyone that has it give me some tips?
Todd

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: Oculus tips
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 01:06:28 AM »
Check the All Things VR forum just under Help and Training.

Makes sure the headset strap is as low on the back of your head as it can go.

Don't make the straps tight, keep them as loose as possible without the headset moving.

Use the lens spacing app. Once you set the spacing keep using it to check the up and down position of the headset when you put it on. Moving the headset up and down changes the focus slightly and one position gives you the best picture.

Leave room around your nose to peek at the keyboard and for ventilation to prevent fogging.

Put a fan on to reduce fogging and motion sickness. If you fly open cockpit use a big fan.   :D

If you get sick at first don't worry, it gets better.

Map a button to tracker center. That will center the Rift as well as TrackIR.

Drive a jeep around the big hanger.

Drive a PT boat around the CV group.

Sit in the B-29 cockpit.

Fly the Storch.

Consider using voice commands.

Have fun!  :aok

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 02:46:12 AM »
If you normally wear glasses, I strongly recommend ordering some prescription correction lenses as soon as possible, otherwise glasses rub on the Oculus lenses causing bad scratches to both.  They can be ordered from VR Lens Lab who also have good explanations for them.

Enjoy your VR experience!   :aok
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 06:28:56 AM »

HTC has really worked on making the VR experience enjoyable.

You will get use to the reduced video quality of VR.   Vr is also darker than regular VR.
Go to the Vr section to find your settings for video cards and in game video settings.
Note your VR head setting and audio setting are separated from regular AH, which is nice but that means resetting these for VR.

If you are a trackir user you are in for a shock.  VR is a step backwards.  First thing is work on your rear views.  Most of us use a Look-Back  left and right or Look  left or right.   Setup look back to suit you.  I use a Look-Forward-Up a lot.  If you have not used trackir, the transition to vr will be much smoother.

Shooting in planes and Gvs will be easier since you essentially have constant zoom in a manor of speaking.

Avoid the 17 Pounder tank killer.  Well try it, then you will know.

Offline Joker312

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 09:55:14 AM »
FLS,

Voice commands? Please explain.

Joker
80th FS "Headhunters"
FSO Squad 412th FNVG

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 10:15:00 AM »
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 10:43:02 AM »
FLS,

Voice commands? Please explain.

The free version of Voiceattack lets you assign 20 commands to voice control.

https://voiceattack.com/

Oculus Voice may eventually allow voice commands in Aces High but I don't think it can do it yet.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 02:56:26 PM »
It will take some time for Voice Attack to get your speech down pat. I tried it for setting salvos and such in Attack Planes. I say "Salvo 1" and after assigning the key mapping it would"/-.-salvo 1-enter or( salvo 6). ;) BUT what voice attack heard was...."Solve sex" or "Size low 1" did a whole lot of training it to recognize my speech patterns to no avail. Maybe the paid version works better? Thought I spoke clear English, guess its more of a Southern Redneck Farsi dialect :O  In theory though, it would kick some but :x
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 02:58:10 PM by 1stpar3 »
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline terrydew

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2017, 04:36:58 PM »
It will take some time for Voice Attack to get your speech down pat. I tried it for setting salvos and such in Attack Planes. I say "Salvo 1" and after assigning the key mapping it would"/-.-salvo 1-enter or( salvo 6). ;) BUT what voice attack heard was...."Solve sex" or "Size low 1" did a whole lot of training it to recognize my speech patterns to no avail. Maybe the paid version works better? Thought I spoke clear English, guess its more of a Southern Redneck Farsi dialect :O  In theory though, it would kick some but :x

Did you train for your voice with the rift on? I had much better success after doing that. Voiceattack is very powerful and I could not use VR without it now.

Offline Joker312

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2017, 10:49:17 AM »
Thanks for the info guys. Will give this a look.
Joker
80th FS "Headhunters"
FSO Squad 412th FNVG

Offline hyzer

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2017, 12:04:01 PM »
Total newb questions.  The only way to have the pointer appear is to have the radio open?  And where do most folks place the clipboard and various text boxes so as to not interfere with sight lines?  Currently my clipboard is low and to the right in the cockpit, selecting things gets kind of awkward trying to bend down to look at it.
We have clearance, Clarence. Roger, Roger. What's our vector, Victor?

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2017, 12:19:39 PM »
Mine is more up and right sort of at the leading edge of the wing. Idk if that makes sense
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2017, 12:30:57 PM »
I mapped a button to the clipboard and just open it as needed. I put text on a cockpit frame or below the instruments.

Btw, if you haven't already done so, you can set your rear view to minimize the headrest. Just hold a hat or keypad rear view while moving your head to the best position then press F10 to save it, then you can release the rear view key. Sit normally and test the rear view with the key. You can also use the hat or keypad views to look at your clipboard when it's in an awkward spot.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2017, 02:44:22 PM »
Did you train for your voice with the rift on? I had much better success after doing that. Voiceattack is very powerful and I could not use VR without it now.
YES! I SURE DID :O   Was funny as heck! I just havent tried again lately.
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain