Author Topic: 3.02 Patch4 Crossing over or under bridge objects.  (Read 1204 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
3.02 Patch4 Crossing over or under bridge objects.
« on: August 08, 2017, 02:25:07 PM »
The bug with GV sinking into the ground and stopping after passing over a bridge is still there. I also put in a PT spawn and found if the PT touches a bridge pier, the PT stops dead and will not respond to inputs.

Panther off end of bridge 30ft onto level terrain.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Re: 3.02 Patch4 Crossing over or under bridge objects.
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 03:32:12 PM »
Post a zip of the terrain source please.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 04:43:52 PM »
Only one GV spawn and it drops you next to the bridges.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 09:29:30 AM »
The issue is that the bridge you show is near a square object instead of terrain.

If you simply move the bridge farther away from the town it will work.

I'll work on a fix for it.

HiTech
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 09:32:37 AM by hitech »

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 12:30:22 PM »
I'll move them for testing, from practical experience, I need bridges this close to the TT object to promote tank play that doesn't eat up the players time transiting to fights versus getting quickly into fights. The TT 4mile object is about the limit of transit area tankers are willing to range across to find each other. I hope you create a solution so I can get our GVers into action sooner than later.

The closest object is the TT object at about 1\2 mile. I will test at a mile to see if that clears this up. Any chance you can make it possible for a PT boat to touch the bridge piers and just keep going past?

I swear the TT object looks like a retirement community golf course somewhere in Texas.....

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 01:22:09 PM »
Right now it works if I follow the rule of a 1 mile square between square objects. And ground level minimum is 30ft. right now I can pass a PT under the bridges with a caveat. The smaller bridges set for ground level at 30ft, when you pass under them you default to passing through the road bed. The long arch bridge is high enough that you pass clean through the arches.

"If" when I return to the center island to setup the three 13 mile furball airfields with the map room on the field. Hitech you have not gotten back to the bridges needing to be 1 mile from the nearest square object, I'll think of something and use only the arch bridge if I still have enough waterways to include PT's in the combat mix. I suspect they would be used mainly as replacements for wirbels.

Sorry for the trouble by not understanding how the bridge objects work. Thank you for looking at my problem. 
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 03:43:46 PM »
With 3.02 patch5 the bridges work.

I can set the shore on each side of a river to different elevations, and place a bridge inside of one mile from a square object like tank town. Just have to remember driving down fast off the end of the bridge to hit a radical up-slope will stop your tank and make you have to first go into reverse, then go forward slowly. It works better to feather the shore land down to the ends of the bridge. A little bit of cosmetic touch up.

I set the bridges to be "Runway" which effectively makes then indestructible. You can drive a PT boat under them, but you will have a momentary visual of sailing across the bridge bed until you come out the other side.

Only Hitech can tell me how many bridges I can place inside of a 1x1 or 8x8 area and not harm FPS. Now that this is fixed, I will have to get serious about the water way system around the tank town object and GV spawns. At least you will have the ability to call in a friend with a bomb from the nearby small airfield to clear you of hidden bridge of snipers. Dr7 is gonna love sniping the bridges.

Testing tank combat terrain is a bite. Unlike fighters that just need an airstrip to get into the fight, you have to drive almost very square foot you sculpt for tanks to fight on. And now I have to test every single bridge I lay down to see if it makes any sense where I put it along with balancing helping attackers, defenders and snipers. I still have to test across a diagonal bias of the polygon mesh, I'm betting that will work now with patch5.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 04:23:48 PM »
Works on the bias, you really have to play with the polygons and ground elevation.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 05:47:46 PM »
Works better on the bias to just use the long arch bridge, it has very long and wide ends blend in with the "V" on polygons.

Thank you Hitech, now I can add bridges overs streams to make GV combat more white knuckle...... :O
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 10:09:54 AM »
Btw, make them barriers not runways.

Offline Petey

• Copper Member
      • 56th FG Homepage
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2017, 12:23:06 PM »
Hitech,

have you considered making making the bridges destroy-able ? with with a minimum down time. could be defensively destroyed or offensively destroyed with a minimum down time and only once per hour to use a delaying for attacker and defenders.  more more than 10-15 mins per hour.   also  when are we getting the trains back and if so will they be considered a strategic target delaying resupply to a particular area.
Petey

56 FG "Zemke's Wolfpack"

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2017, 02:08:02 PM »
Hitech told me to make them indestructible. Railroad bridges are a completely different object than the bridges I'm working with.

Hitech, what should I make the TT object? Barrier?
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2017, 02:30:51 PM »
Hitech,

I just checked Bunk Barr and it has a 30min down time only needing .31 of 1000lb bomb to be destroyed. Runway takes 125.0 of 1000lb. I chose Runway because it took the same tonnage of bombs as the Tower and was down only for 1min. So how do I make the bridge objects indestructible to comply with your request to keep bridges indestructible? And what is the proper object designation for the TT 2mile object? I tested destroying the bridges and they are set to be destroy able objects unlike the facotry and house objects on the TT object.

If these bridges can be destroyed, then there is no point to use them because there will be no tank game. Everyone will either bomb the bridges to screw the GVers or the GVers will do it themselves with HE rounds ending any fight before it gets started. There will be no choke point battles over a bridge crossing.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2017, 03:07:03 PM »
Bustr there are 2 special object types.

Barrier (can never be destroyed) and Structure (can also be destroyed by the friendly country).
Both of these types are not scored in any way and do not have any strategic effect.

Any square object is almost always placed as a Group Master. This means that the object types are set in the shape itself such as objects created with the object editor.

HiTech

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2017, 05:33:09 PM »
My apology, I was thinking everything shows up available to have down time and %1000lb bomb set from the object menu in the game client. I see the "Barrier" object designation in the object GUI. As for the TT 2mile object, yes Group Master, but, do I give ownership to a field or to a country like Country1?

When I reach the point that I'm laying down bases and spawns, the center island will be ready for bridges. I'm looking at 15 total. One between the ends of each land strip to connect them in a ring. One from each small strip to the center and two from each long strip to the center. I'm testing GV spawn random area in the screen shot below to make sure I'm not dropping GVs into the water. I got stalled on the terrain for awhile due to getting my blood pressure and cholesterol under control. You can see from the CBM clip, I have a few more islands to pull up out of the water before I can move on to laying down objects. I'll be making use of bridges at some feilds to slow down M3 and tank assaults. I doubt at this time the community is ready for bridges doing that off every GV spawn.

Hmmmm....guess I could still drop a PT spawn in there from each of the three airfields, it would be another way to get AA into the area to protect GVs.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing