Author Topic: Finally  (Read 449 times)

Online SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
Finally
« on: August 13, 2017, 07:07:50 PM »
Received my Rift a little more than a month ago. My new computer wasn't up and running yet so the Rift sat in the box for almost two weeks. Get new system up and running, make sure everything is stable. Install Rift software, plug in the headset, no image on the left side. Contact Oculus support. Verify yeah it isn't working, send it back UPS ground (their dime). It comes back to me UPS ground. Felt like it was on a slow boat to China to me. :old:

Finally, it arrived Friday. I hook everything up again, go through the setup, hold my breath, and it works!  :banana:  Spent the weekend getting dialed in. Still not happy with the fluidity of tracking a target through the bottom half of the clock, but I'm still working on it. Other than that it is freekin awesome!!   :x  The new planes D3A, F4f, and SBD look amazing. There is a handle on the right side of the F4f I want to reach for it is so life like. I was checking out the .50s in the cockpit of the SBD and was amazed at how real they looked. So amazed I flew into the ground.  :joystick:

So far I'm really liking this VR stuff. Anxious to see what FSO and the scenario are going to be like.  :airplane:

:salute
Sik
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline SJ001

• Zinc Member
Re: Finally
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 08:58:03 PM »
I have been in and out of AH subs for years (get frustrated and quit), got a Oculus headset 2 weeks ago, love it with AH, I think I got more kills today than ever! I just re-subbed today and love it (did I already say that?)!

And as you did, started to grab things in the cockpit, they look so real, Ive never seen this detail before in AH!

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 09:32:25 PM »
 :cheers:
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 04:16:51 AM »
If you have VR, you have an advantage over those without. You see the action in 3d, which allows you to better project where your opponent will be. They see in 2d, and thus are disadvantaged. I love my Rift. I have even gotten moderately successful in a tank while using it.
Flight Leader: "Bogeys at 2 o'clock!"
Wingman: "Roger, It's 1:30 now, what do I do 'til then?"

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 09:44:48 AM »
If you have VR, you have an advantage over those without. You see the action in 3d, which allows you to better project where your opponent will be. They see in 2d, and thus are disadvantaged. I love my Rift. I have even gotten moderately successful in a tank while using it.
What Coppr said.  I have a DK2 Rift that I'll continue using until it dies. And 100% agree - we have a total situational awareness advantage over the 2d flyers. I'm keeping track on targets, checking speed and position - never losing focus on my aircraft.  I do have to be more careful when taking off, however, as I'm sometimes doing too much looking around and end up plowing into a hill at the end of a runway after taking off - and sometimes during low-level combat and end up plowing into trees and hill rises that I missed - all because we spend more time NOT looking forward.. :D

My K/D ratio is WAAAAY better flying Rift than 2d. It's incredibly immersive and enjoyable.  :aok

"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech