Author Topic: TrackIR vs Oculus Rift  (Read 4305 times)

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
Re: TrackIR vs Oculus Rift
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2017, 03:25:59 PM »
I've been back and forth between both.

I have a 4K monitor so running AH on that with track IR is REALLY nice.

But the Oculus CV1 is much more immersive, the main hang up with it is the poor resolution, which can sometimes put you at a disadvantage in the game..  not to mention how my wife makes fun of me when Im in a dogfight flinging my head around like Stevie Wonder.

Currently I'm messing with the  PiMax 4K, it has a much higher picture quality than the Oculus but it is most defiantly a work in progress and far from being as "turn key" as the Oculus is, but the software is getting better and better,  its biggest downside is the lack of 6DOF.  So im currently trying to figure out a way to use track IR with the pimax but AH is really fighting me on that.

Overall I think VR for sure is the future, and will become the mainstream standard, the timeline on that happening is the only real question.   

I think right now the biggest stumbling block is the lack of optimization of VR, currently it takes a very high end machine to reliably run most games in VR, and even then the resolution is very poor.

One option would be to shift some of the workload to the HMD itself or to a pass through device (ala the good ole days of graphics accelerators/3dfx)   where basically the headset/device receives the standard video signal and a side stream of the VR data and handles the conversion/rendering itself.     it would probably increase the cost of the VR devices, but at least you wouldn't need such high end gear to drive it in the first place.

Another would be a VR "card" that wuld go in the PC itself, its one and only task is crunching VR relevant data.   

Obviously I have no idea how the finer points of any of this would work, just guessing.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 03:28:35 PM by Wingnutt »