Author Topic: Training  (Read 1651 times)

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
Training
« on: August 25, 2017, 08:55:46 PM »
I stopped in training arena tonight and there was a guy in there struggling flying with a mouse, didn't even know how to use the radio.  So i started talking to him and hung out with him and gave him a few pointers before popping into melee.

Might be a good idea these days to try to do that if possible.  Some of the folks don't even know you use slash to type on the radio.  Just the basic basics so they can even ask for help.   :cheers:
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
Re: Training
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 09:38:26 PM »
Good job Kanth <S>
- The Flying Circus -

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 10:04:50 PM »
Good idea   :aok

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 11:45:17 PM »
I stopped in training arena tonight and there was a guy in there struggling flying with a mouse, didn't even know how to use the radio.  So i started talking to him and hung out with him and gave him a few pointers before popping into melee.

Might be a good idea these days to try to do that if possible.  Some of the folks don't even know you use slash to type on the radio.  Just the basic basics so they can even ask for help.   :cheers:

Thanks Kanth!  The Training Corps volunteers can't maintain someone in the TA 24/7, so it is nice when veteran players step up to keep an eye out for new folks in there and in the MA.

:salute
Quote from: bozon
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 02:31:31 AM »
Been trying this a long time. Pm me new players. I'll be glad to teach a tip or two.
CO of the Hell Hounds. In Game: Rud3boi
*Ain't no grave can hold my body down.*

Top German Ace of Pantelleria 1943
            6./JG 27- 109G-2

Offline RufusLeaking

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2017, 09:23:23 AM »
 :salute Kanth

Been trying this a long time. Pm me new players. I'll be glad to teach a tip or two.

Same here. I'm on Rooks when I'm on.

For new guys, I recommend a joystick, microphone and starting with the default keyboard setups. Or, at least be aware of the default. Once the controls are customized, it makes some of the discussion more difficult.
GameID: RufLeak
Claim Jumpers

Offline TerryRF

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2017, 09:35:38 AM »
I go into the Training Arena a couple times a day and have helped a few new players. Many are clearly in need of basic info.

Any new players that see me in the TA (game id "Av8"), don't hesitate to ask for help. I am glad to help as are most other "old timers".

Av8.

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2017, 10:23:04 AM »

Unlike many games HTC chose not  to force new players through a bootcamp,  So many new players will not take the time to learn, view training videos, or god forbid, read. 
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2017, 02:04:51 PM »
Unlike many games HTC chose not  to force new players through a bootcamp,  So many new players will not take the time to learn, view training videos, or god forbid, read.

That's why I think a small FFA would work really well to integrate new players. People just want a place to roll and shoot. The MA is a challenging time consuming place, even worse if you have no idea what's going on.

Joining a good squad is prolly one of the single best ways to learn the MA.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 02:12:27 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline asterix

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2017, 02:35:56 AM »

One thing that might cause new people who just dive in and want to take off as soon as possible trouble with using the radio or mouse is that keyboards sold in different countries have different symbols painted on the keys. For example slash key for me is - and quote is Ä. If I remember correctly then radio is set 1.All and not help channel or country by default so all messages seen are prefixed by SYSTEM and not fellow player`s game tag or something like that. Also the key that makes radio box appear does not make it go away so that was a menace for me during first day. Keyboard display under "Map keys" on clipboard was very helpful because it lights up when pushing a key.

Does steam page have a link to AH Help page? Good information in AH Wiki as well: http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/In_game_voice In addition to:

http://www.hitechcreations.com/the-game-interface/using-the-radio
http://www.hitechcreations.com/getting-started/detail-configuration/voice
and
http://www.hitechcreations.com/getting-started/detail-configuration/game-sounds

Hear a lot of beeping on default channel 101 with no voice coming through and without seeing the same names typing anything. People were complaining that they couldn`t find online arena selection tabs on the clipboard. Radio operation, dot commands and voice set up seem a lot worse than that.
Win 7 Pro 64, AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3,0 GHz, Asus M2N mobo, refurbished Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 GV-N960IXOC-2GD 2GB, Corsair XMS2 4x2GB 800MHz DDR2, Seagate BarraCuda 7200.10 ST3160815AS 160GB 7200 RPM HDD, Thermaltake Smart 430W

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2017, 08:30:25 AM »
That's why I think a small FFA would work really well to integrate new players. People just want a place to roll and shoot. The MA is a challenging time consuming place, even worse if you have no idea what's going on.

Joining a good squad is prolly one of the single best ways to learn the MA.

Got to ask, "FFA" ?
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2017, 08:36:59 AM »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2017, 08:55:20 AM »
   Good going Kanth.  They are defaulted to 101 and I just started answering questions to the one guy I could hear on channel and I'm sure others were picking up on the answers.
   I explained the radio buffer first and how to tune to yourself to test your mic. Also boosting your mic volume. I directed them also to the map keys so they could find out for themselves what every key does.
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline shppr01

• AvA Staff Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2017, 04:08:36 PM »
Good job Kanth!! We need more to do this. If you talk to him again, bring him into VA and we. Will help !!
Ingame : Shipper

Never put your gun down to hug a grizzly.

Offline Wraith_TMS

• Copper Member
      • My Web Depot
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2017, 12:37:08 PM »
For what it's worth, here is my old Aces High English/Spanish cross-referenced glossary.  Send the link to those that might need it. (Hosted on Google Sites).

Via Steam, there may be some Spanish speakers from Latin America or Europe trying out AH, who could perhaps use some help with all of the game-related slang and terminology we use. 

FWIW,
o--[--Wraith----   
The Musketeers 
(In-game: Wraithe)
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig." -- R. A. Heinlein