Author Topic: Community Outreach  (Read 1045 times)

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
Community Outreach
« on: August 27, 2017, 12:11:05 AM »
                      I spent a good hour or two helping a few new steam players with the basics tonight.
             Nguy was one and quick to learn as he has played Warthunder also. He was impressed with the game and was surprised when I told him I started in 2003 also that the game was older than that. I flew with him and died with him letting him know there is a lot to this game. You will get better the more you learn I told him. Lets help!  :rock

Do your best to take some time teaching these players that come in and they will spread the word. We all know this is the ultimate WW2 experience and those that didn't know the glory days they may be back twofold if we share what we know. 
     :airplane: :airplane: :airplane:
    :airplane: :airplane: :airplane:
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
Re: Community Outreach
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 12:37:20 AM »
 :salute  Good on your Slate.

i really think it's a worthwhile investment and a good way to make new friends.
I dropped into ta again tonight to see two new guys that appeared to be dueling  :rock
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline Pluto

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 02:07:30 AM »
I spent an hour last night in a custom arena trying to help 4 or 5 new guys, but I had a hard time trying to communicate with them. I tried telling them how the radio and chat bar worked but I simply couldn't get a response. I am probably not the best teacher either.
One of the problems in there was all the veterans were in the canyons fighting on rook and knight, and it defaulted the new guys to the bish at furball lake all alone.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 04:36:44 AM »
I spent an hour last night in a custom arena trying to help 4 or 5 new guys, but I had a hard time trying to communicate with them. I tried telling them how the radio and chat bar worked but I simply couldn't get a response.---

One issue might be that if the new guys are outside USA or GB, their keyboard layout is different. If you ask me to press slash for text buffer, it won't work. In the Scandinavian layout / is the upper case of 7. The radio button is marked as -. There's several other differently placed keys, most of them being in the right hand area. Basically the 8 keys left from the Enter and Right Shift are the most problematic ones in most European layouts. That's an issue that many won't recognize and IMO it should be addressed somehow. A printable keyboard chart might help but the link for it should be located to the opening screen of the game so new players would find it.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 06:51:03 AM »
yeah in french azerty layout the talk key is !

most games use t or enter for communication, the former being catastrophic to use in flight :D

Offline thndregg

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 07:19:19 AM »
Man, if I wasn't imminently going on vacation.. :airplane:  :D I'd be in there helping out, too. All these players will find their particular niche. I can definitely help in the heavy bomber department.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2017, 08:24:20 AM »

You can also try speaking to them on range, as long as they have speakers they should hear you.

I had a hard time trying to communicate with them. I tried telling them how the radio and chat bar worked but I simply couldn't get a response.
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2017, 08:42:32 AM »
   I do think communication will be the biggest issue.  One of the first things I did was explain the radio buffer and have them boost thier mic so I could hear them.
   They are defaulted to channel 101 so I gave instructions on that channel and anyone listening could hear the answers to questions.

I had a player join my plane and they saw the limitations of thier use of a mouse to fly. I think they are going to have to invest in a joystick to get the most out of this game.

I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline puller

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2017, 10:44:35 AM »
I spent an hour last night in a custom arena trying to help 4 or 5 new guys, but I had a hard time trying to communicate with them. I tried telling them how the radio and chat bar worked but I simply couldn't get a response. I am probably not the best teacher either.
One of the problems in there was all the veterans were in the canyons fighting on rook and knight, and it defaulted the new guys to the bish at furball lake all alone.

:aok :aok :aok
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde

Offline TWCAxew

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2017, 01:19:15 PM »
I setup 5 guys so far :cheers:

DutchVII
DutchVII / ULDutch
~~2019 KOTH/TOC Champion~~
https://ahevents.net/index.php/events/scenarios/about-scenarios
4 time scenario C.O. ~ As dew appears, As dew Vanishes, Such is my life, Everything in this world, Is but a dream within a dream.

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2017, 01:57:35 PM »
Catching them in the two week trial is going to be key

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2017, 02:17:06 PM »
Different keyboard layouts???  Ew.  That can hamper things a bit.  I think there needs to be a sticky in the Steam page with links to key maps for each keyboard type.

Something like:
Having trouble with key mapping?  Check out these links for default key mappings for your keyboard type!
<insert list here>

Bizman, you may want to work with HTC on this issue. :)

The other thing to note is getting these out in different languages.  I'm hoping Mitsu and/or Blaze are working on getting a key map card up in Japanese for the Steam forum.  If I'm having any issues with a Steam game, the VERY first place I check is the games discussion forums on Steam.  It's a very safe bet that other Steam users will do the same. :aok
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2017, 03:05:27 AM »
An image of the American keyboard layout with the most essential keys explained would be handy for new guys coming outside the US. After all, the key locations are the same, only the printing on them may be different. And the number of the keys, but that's another story.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 05:55:33 AM by Bizman »
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2017, 05:26:44 AM »