Author Topic: Please post graphic settings  (Read 662 times)

Offline N95KF

• Copper Member
Please post graphic settings
« on: August 28, 2017, 04:21:36 PM »
I know this was covered awhile back, should probably be a sticky, but I was curious what all of the VR users graphic settings were set to both in-game and in Nvidia Control Panel (or AMD)

I posted some back in March which many seemed to have liked, and now I don't even use them anymore, I will post mine and perhaps we can find the sweet spot.

I have Anisotropic Filtering set to 16x in Nvidia Control Panel for distance clarity

AA is Application-Controlled, as is almost everything else

LOD Bias is Clamp

and after reading an old thread, I now has MFAA set to ON and in-game Anti Aliasing disabled.

I turned off Shadows because it just creates extra jaggies without AA

The reflections are off because they look weird in VR on the canopy

I have the bloom and lighting effects all on still

No super sampling or oculus debug tool set

I like it, but still some tree shimmering. I want to see if there are some other ideas and maybe this thread can stick to the top so people don't keep asking.  Thanks!

:airplane:

49Alpha

"We, not they, will win the final battle; and we, not they, will make the final peace!"

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
Re: Please post graphic settings
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 05:19:23 PM »
I have all anti aliasing set to Off or In game controlled(off in game as well).No super sampling or Oculus tool as well. Non of the settings in Nvidia set more than default. Really the only changes I have made(well as of right now) is to the Color and Digital Vibrance and Gamma,in Nvidia control pannel. I set the color pallet to 343,far right side of slider. Gamma to .8, as horizon was abit to bright for my eyes and caused eye fatigue pretty quick(could me because of my Multiple Sclerosis Optic Neuritis), and the digital vibrance set to 48. I tend to see colors differently since the optic neuritis, red jumps out and yellows seem too bright. So terrains with alot of yellow seemed like I was staring into the sun. Getting the pallet set made more difference in Vr than any of the Super sampling or Anti- Aliasing settings ever did, with out changing the frame rates in game. Although, like with most things, I am constantly adjusting settings as I come across new issues. In game settings, Clutter in flight-disabled, reflections-disabled, AA-off, Sliders- all full right except Tree detail which is middle, NO environmental and gamma at default since the slider doesnt change anything with VR.
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline McShark

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 04:36:02 AM »
Will do my best to translate this from Dutch  :devil

Anisotropic Filtering >> 16x
Antialias Filtering >> On
Antialias Gamma correction >> On
Antialiasing Modus >>> Application controlled
Antialiasing transparency >>> 8x ( supersample )
Enrgymodus>> Maximum performance
Pre rendered frames>> application controlled
multiple screen accelerator >>> G-Sync
Multi frame sampled AA >>> off
Shader cache >> off
Texturefiltering>> highest quality
Negative LOD bias>> clamp
Trilinear optimalisation >>> on
thread optimalisation >>> on
vertical sunc >>> on
VR pre rendered frames>>> application controlled.

I do not use any than default settings from Occulus, nor any additional adjustments on the card. Only thing I did was crank up my cooling ( GPU + CPU ) quite a bit. To me it seems at temperatures above 65 degrees Celsius ( 149 F ) hits performance.

My rig:
i7 Skylake
32 gb 2400 mhz ram
Win 10 Pro
Oculus rift
Nvidia 1080 8 GB

Runs in buzy environments between 60 and 90 fps stable with an average ping of 120 through Wifi.

Any tips and hints to improve performance, very rare stutters or picture quality are always very welcome. thx  :cheers:

« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 04:39:48 AM by McShark »
The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence. -Charles Bukowski
Gleams the blade,Shines my Honor
Tour 19 - 163 McShark
Tour 163 -      Barkhorn

Offline N95KF

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 12:07:06 PM »
Those were pretty much my old settings, and honestly, the diminishing returns don't make it worth it.  The perceived jump in quality, if any,  is not worth the minor performance issues you get.  I find that the Anisotropic Filtering needs to be on 16x, but all AA can be turned off completely.  Even the 8x Super Sampling.  This is just killed performance for no reason.  Try it out, Keep the image quality settings High, and Clamp on, etc.  Maximum power performance mode...Just turn off all anti-aliasing and you will see the same results, if not better, with better performance.  AA doesn't work in VR it just makes blur IMO.

49Alpha

"We, not they, will win the final battle; and we, not they, will make the final peace!"

Offline N95KF

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 12:08:44 PM »
I have all anti aliasing set to Off or In game controlled(off in game as well).No super sampling or Oculus tool as well. Non of the settings in Nvidia set more than default. Really the only changes I have made(well as of right now) is to the Color and Digital Vibrance and Gamma,in Nvidia control pannel. I set the color pallet to 343,far right side of slider. Gamma to .8, as horizon was abit to bright for my eyes and caused eye fatigue pretty quick(could me because of my Multiple Sclerosis Optic Neuritis), and the digital vibrance set to 48. I tend to see colors differently since the optic neuritis, red jumps out and yellows seem too bright. So terrains with alot of yellow seemed like I was staring into the sun. Getting the pallet set made more difference in Vr than any of the Super sampling or Anti- Aliasing settings ever did, with out changing the frame rates in game. Although, like with most things, I am constantly adjusting settings as I come across new issues. In game settings, Clutter in flight-disabled, reflections-disabled, AA-off, Sliders- all full right except Tree detail which is middle, NO environmental and gamma at default since the slider doesnt change anything with VR.

Did you have to plug your monitor into the HDMI port the Oculus usually plays in so you could change those settings? Then revert back and plug the Oculus back into that port? 

49Alpha

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2017, 03:33:42 PM »
Did you have to plug your monitor into the HDMI port the Oculus usually plays in so you could change those settings? Then revert back and plug the Oculus back into that port?
Yes, that is how you do it. As I understand it, changes in NVIDIA control panel are port specific. Oculus rift doesnt show up as a Display device,thus changes made on monitor will carry over to the RIFT when it is plugged into the port you adjusted. The Color palette and gamma and hue changes made big difference. Also, make sure that under the Resolution tab that you are running FULL colors and not Limited. Some monitors are seen as hdtvs by Nvidia and are set to limited by default
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain