Author Topic: Using TrackIR instead of internal Headset tracking. (Pimax 4K)  (Read 2023 times)

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
Using TrackIR instead of internal Headset tracking. (Pimax 4K)
« on: September 02, 2017, 02:25:28 PM »
I have a Pimax 4K, it works perfectly in AH and has a much better picture than my Oculus CV1   BUT, it lacks 6 DOF tracking which is a big deal (to me) in AH

Before VR I have used TrackIR for years.

I'm wanting to use track IR instead of the HMDs tracking.   But even if I disable the HMDs tracking (in HMD software)  AH still seems to look for it instead of using TrackIR.  is there any way to specify what tracking device to use?

I even tried installing Freepie and using TIR mouse emulation, but that too does not work in AH in VR mode.

Bonus question:  Is there any way to have normal mouse function in VR?  I.E. instead of having to look everywhere you click you can just use the mouse normally.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 03:33:42 PM by Wingnutt »

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Re: Using TrackIR instead of internal Headset tracking. (Pimax 4K)
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 03:35:11 AM »
Arguments -mode novr

Offline terrydew

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 09:49:50 AM »
I have a Pimax 4K, it works perfectly in AH and has a much better picture than my Oculus CV1   BUT, it lacks 6 DOF tracking which is a big deal (to me) in AH

Before VR I have used TrackIR for years.

I'm wanting to use track IR instead of the HMDs tracking.   But even if I disable the HMDs tracking (in HMD software)  AH still seems to look for it instead of using TrackIR.  is there any way to specify what tracking device to use?

I even tried installing Freepie and using TIR mouse emulation, but that too does not work in AH in VR mode.

Bonus question:  Is there any way to have normal mouse function in VR?  I.E. instead of having to look everywhere you click you can just use the mouse normally.

If you get this figured out, I would really be interested in what you think of it. I have my eye on the 8k version if it makes it to the market.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 10:07:48 AM »
If you get this figured out, I would really be interested in what you think of it. I have my eye on the 8k version if it makes it to the market.

How much faster do you think CPUs and video cards need to be to run 8K VR at 90 FPS?

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 10:27:01 AM »
How much faster do you think CPUs and video cards need to be to run 8K VR at 90 FPS?
Nvidia GTX 2080?
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2017, 10:30:38 AM »

Apparently what they are doing is only rendering one side at a time, but doing it at @120hz.    So even though it's only showing you one eye at a time it's happening so fast you can't tell.

So in theory it only has to render one image at 120fps instead of 2 at 90.    It's something along those lines.

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2017, 10:32:42 AM »
Arguments -mode novr

Add after the executable after the executable right?

ah3.exe -mode novr. Etc

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2017, 11:27:57 AM »
Apparently what they are doing is only rendering one side at a time, but doing it at @120hz.    So even though it's only showing you one eye at a time it's happening so fast you can't tell.

So in theory it only has to render one image at 120fps instead of 2 at 90.    It's something along those lines.

I hope it works. The 4K already has the problems you'd expect from too many pixels.

According to the reviews the 4K has 6DOF but people are having problems with it.

Offline N95KF

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2017, 12:00:01 PM »
We're just going to have to wait until the hardware catches up, and then we can have higher resolution VR screens.  I used TrackIR for over a decade as well, and I could never go back to 2D screen TrackIR.  The stereoscopic 3D, the field of view, the relative scale of size of other objects, and the freedom of movement in the cockpit cannot be beat regardless of resolution.
:airplane:

49Alpha

"We, not they, will win the final battle; and we, not they, will make the final peace!"

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2017, 12:36:18 PM »
I hope it works. The 4K already has the problems you'd expect from too many pixels.

According to the reviews the 4K has 6DOF but people are having problems with it.

It does not have 6DOF
it has 2 internal gyros and works really well, it just has no motion tracking.

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2017, 12:43:21 PM »
Arguments -mode novr

Ok I guess I want clear on my question.

-novr  disables VR completely.

I still want to use the VR, I just want to use trackIR for the tracking data and not the headset's built in tracking.
I have tracking disabled on the headset, and have track IR up and running but the game refuses to use trackIR in VR mode, it seems to still be looking for the data from the headset.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2017, 12:55:23 PM »
It does not have 6DOF
it has 2 internal gyros and works really well, it just has no motion tracking.

There's a review on Amazon that says 3DOF tracking. Maybe the other review was a typo.

Do you have a different model with no tracking?

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2017, 01:37:19 PM »
Mine is 3 DOF, BUT I would rather use TIR