Author Topic: best VR for Aces High?  (Read 2380 times)

Offline haggerty

• Silver Member
      • Facebook
best VR for Aces High?
« on: September 07, 2017, 04:30:02 AM »
I noticed a Rift being posted for sale pretty cheap around me, but I've heard conversations about poor resolution in the VR headsets.  Whats your opinion on the most cost effective VR headset for Aces High use?  Are Rift and Vive the only two real options?
-Ninja250, -Spectre, -UBerHAGS, -FieroGT, -Haggerty, -Hellcat -Misawa, -Gloom -Nobunaga -Cobrakai

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: best VR for Aces High?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 06:40:10 AM »
The VR drivers for the Rift are the best. 
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 07:30:22 AM »
When you're sitting in the cockpit of your plane, and you lean over to look down over the side of your plane, or any number of totally awesome schlitz that you encounter with VR, resolution moves WAY down on the list of detractors. I have the Rift and have had no trouble at all. VR give a pilot an advantage over those without, because you can see in 3D as opposed to looking at a 2D screen. You can see where your opponent is and where he will be better. Pull the trigger and do it. :airplane:
Flight Leader: "Bogeys at 2 o'clock!"
Wingman: "Roger, It's 1:30 now, what do I do 'til then?"

Offline haggerty

• Silver Member
      • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 07:30:47 AM »
Looks like I'll be getting the Rift Consumer Version 1 for $260 this weekend.  He conveniently checked the German Amazon i'm guessing and said its 480 euro used.  It is $323 used on the US amazon though.

https://stuttgart.bookoo.com/i/64752925

-Ninja250, -Spectre, -UBerHAGS, -FieroGT, -Haggerty, -Hellcat -Misawa, -Gloom -Nobunaga -Cobrakai

Offline haggerty

• Silver Member
      • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 07:32:40 AM »
When you're sitting in the cockpit of your plane, and you lean over to look down over the side of your plane, or any number of totally awesome schlitz that you encounter with VR, resolution moves WAY down on the list of detractors. I have the Rift and have had no trouble at all. VR give a pilot an advantage over those without, because you can see in 3D as opposed to looking at a 2D screen. You can see where your opponent is and where he will be better. Pull the trigger and do it. :airplane:

That sounds fun, I'm a big bomb**** and bomber interceptor, so being able to look beyond the walls of the cockpit will be nice to locate vehicles and bombers.

Offline N95KF

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 08:07:44 AM »
I have a rift and love it.  Have always heard that the rift is superior to the HTC Vive for cockpit simulations, like Aces High.  And the two are the only real VR headsets on the market worth using.  There are other ones out there, but they have their own issues and the head tracking is off, some don't have six degrees of freedom either which is a deal breaker in itself.
:airplane:

49Alpha

"We, not they, will win the final battle; and we, not they, will make the final peace!"

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 05:14:28 PM »
Resolution is a trade off right now for VR.

The current offering keeps the headset cost down AND the graphics card cost realistic. To double the current resolution would make the whole setup incredibly expensive. In fact there are still technical challenges trying to do say 4k res + 3D + high frame rates. IIRC the current HDMI standard cannot do it (it can do 4k+3D but with low frame rates) - I think HDMI 2.1 will have the required.

So you can either have a super high resolution monitor, which feels like your sitting at home looking through a hi res monitor when playing - or you can have VR in medium res and feel like you're sitting in the cockpit.

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 04:15:23 PM »
what Vulcan said. And they are talking about 8k headsets??? it's kind of ridiculous at this point without the hardware and connections to support that sort of resolution in a headset.

Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2017, 09:22:24 PM »
I'm hoping to hear of a hardware update at the convention next month in San Francisco. If it's coming, they've sure been quiet about it and I have no solid reason to base my hopes upon. It's only that tech companies tend to save product announcement for major conventions. My fingers are crossed as it was one of the things holding me back.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline terrydew

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2017, 08:12:23 AM »
The future of VR??
Note the display port so hdmi limit na.
Vapor or real?? Time will tell.

https://www.roadtovr.com/pimax-teases-next-generation-accessories-8k-vr-headset/

Offline N95KF

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2017, 10:20:13 AM »
An 8k headset isn't a true 8k.  Its 2x 4k lenses.  Which would make it appear close to 1080p when wearing the headset.  Thats all.  But as many people have said, be prepared for lower frame rates (60fps if you're lucky) and less detailed graphics with the higher resolution.  The 1080ti currently is not running 2x 4k screens at 60-90fps with lots of details.  Ain't happenin...
:airplane:

49Alpha

"We, not they, will win the final battle; and we, not they, will make the final peace!"

Offline jskibo

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2017, 02:23:02 PM »
The Pimax 8k doesn't input true native 4k anyway.  Its 1440 then the headset upscales. 

Then again, this might help with the potential FPS issue
Jacque in AH3
Jacque in WB
Jacque in WWIIOL

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2017, 03:27:13 PM »
The future of VR??
Note the display port so hdmi limit na.
Vapor or real?? Time will tell.

https://www.roadtovr.com/pimax-teases-next-generation-accessories-8k-vr-headset/

Display port is still limited, it can only drive 4k 3D at 60fps.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2017, 04:12:41 PM »
Been watching some of those, very interested to see how they go!