Author Topic: A few things......Nugetx, side balance, player numbers, perks  (Read 4615 times)

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
Re: A few things......Nugetx, side balance, player numbers, perks
« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2017, 12:11:16 PM »
NugetX, let me please explain a couple of things I feel strongly about.

You need to join the community here if you want anyone to pay the least bit of attention to you and take your ideas seriously.

That starts with us getting to know you and you getting to know us.  I'm Zoney, and it is the name I fly with in the game.  There is no NugetX that currently plays.  What name do you fly under.

I do not know if you even actually play the game because you have not told anyone your name.  For all I know you are just a troll.  You could even be a guy who does not play at all and the BBS is all you are here for.  The value of your ideas is certainly diminished if you aren't even a player.

So, for the last time sir, what name do you fly under.

Without your name, I'm simply going to "write you off" as superfluous and not respond to you anymore. 
Wag more, bark less.

Offline EagleDNY

• Silver Member
« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2017, 12:14:37 PM »
The ENY system doesn't really do anything unless the numbers are WAY skewed.   By the time ENY kicks in, the steamroller is already way down the road.  Frankly I'd rather see ENY preventing your taking up a ride ended and just have it start costing you perks to take up uber-rides if you are on the side with the overwhelming advantage.  I wouldn't mind it if EVERY plane had a perk cost all the time - that gives players an incentive to bring it home instead of just bailing or suiciding it. 

Give new players perk points for completing training missions in the training arena -- might actually help player retention if they had a reason to train a bit before going into the MA meat grinder.  Of course you set that so that you can only get the perkies once per account so that there isn't abuse of that perk award. 

I still think it would be nice if squadrons earned perks that the squadron leader could pass out to new recruits, or use when assigning planes to a mission.  You might get more people joining missions if the squad putting up the mission put up the cost for the perk planes involved.   

The game can always be tweaked.  Experimentation beats Stagnation. 

Offline nugetx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2017, 12:53:29 AM »
Some folks just have one idea that they keep pushing on people who aren't interested. They want to impose their idea on other people "for their own good". The implication being that they are superior to the people only they, and those that agree with them, can help. This lets them feel special, with any actual accomplishment, which is why they can't stop annoying people.  HTC can stop them on the BBS when they think it's required. The rest of us can just ignore them.

I was just making suggestion, I never said that 'my suggestion is the final solution to all the problems'.
People did not like it? Ok, plenty of other people made other suggestions also, but something visible for the people on the arena has to move forward.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2017, 01:51:07 AM »
I wish you well. I hope you get the help you need.  :aok

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2017, 02:13:50 AM »
So, for the last time sir, what name do you fly under.

Don't tell him Gaston!  :old:

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline eddiek

• Silver Member
« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2017, 03:54:15 AM »
Had some free time to read this thread this evening......can't argue too much, as everyone has their own opinions, but do want to address the topic of some Steam users feeling like they were misled about the game being free to play:
On the HiTech Creations home page, it says "Free download. Free 2 week trial.  No credit card required for free trial."
Where does that say free to play, or to be more specific, free to play forever?
Seems some Steam users lack reading comprehension skills, or have selective skills. 
You get what you pay for, and the $14.95 fee we currently pay to subscribe is a bargain for what you get in my opinion.  I remember when I first started in AH, the monthly rate was $29.95, and I was glad to pay it because I loved the game play, and felt it was worth it, much more so than the rate for Warbirds II, which is the game I was involved in before migrating over here.
The rest of the stuff, side balancing, etc.......the sides have never been truly balanced since I've been in this game.  One country or another eventually has a huge advantage in numbers at some point.  Human nature I suppose, people like to be on the side that is winning, no matter what the country is.  Some players have a devotion to playing as Bish, Rook, Knight, and will not change sides no matter what.  My first squad flew Rooks forever, then we switched to the Knights, back to Rooks, then to Bishops.....it became a monthly deal to switch countries and get to know other players.  It's just part of the game that you either accept and go ahead and play and have some fun, or you don't.  Every country, since I have been playing this game, has seen it's share of time in the barrel, getting hammered by the other countries.  If you wait awhile, things change and the momentum swings your way.
Free planes/rides.............on the surface it looks like it might keep some new players in the arenas past the two week free trial (no one ever said it was a free forever game), maybe some of them will find the desire to learn the game and how to be successful and have fun.  Some won't. It took me a long time to feel confident, and become competent in the virtual skies of AH.  I got shot down a lot, and I mean a LOT.  Had to ask a lot of questions, from my squaddies and others in the game, most of the time players who were repeatedly killing me over and over, to figure out how to get better. 
Those who want and expect to just download the game, get in the arenas, and become instantly successful don't have a clear grasp of the many intricacies HiTech coded into the game, the flight models, etc.  Back when I started in WB's, they had the relaxed realism arena, which was free, and almost arcade like.  Jumping into full realism even in WB was a shocker.  I suspect many of the Steam users who try Aces High are expecting arcade like flight models, and the learning curve, admittedly steep if you have never done a flight combat sim, drives them away.  They expect an arcade type game, and get their bubbles burst ,so they leave, post a negative feedback on the Steam page, and don't come back.
Just my thoughts...........

Offline asterix

• Nickel Member
« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2017, 08:17:45 AM »
The rest of the stuff, side balancing, etc.......the sides have never been truly balanced since I've been in this game.  One country or another eventually has a huge advantage in numbers at some point.  Human nature I suppose, people like to be on the side that is winning, no matter what the country is.  Some players have a devotion to playing as Bish, Rook, Knight, and will not change sides no matter what.  My first squad flew Rooks forever, then we switched to the Knights, back to Rooks, then to Bishops.....it became a monthly deal to switch countries and get to know other players.  It's just part of the game that you either accept and go ahead and play and have some fun, or you don't.  Every country, since I have been playing this game, has seen it's share of time in the barrel, getting hammered by the other countries.  If you wait awhile, things change and the momentum swings your way.
This. Even with equal numbers the local fights can still be unbalanced. Even when you set up the situation so that 20 attackers go against 20 defenders on a particular base, the people who get shot down might get angry and go elsewhere or log off, resulting in unbalance.
Win 7 Pro 64, AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3,0 GHz, Asus M2N mobo, refurbished Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 GV-N960IXOC-2GD 2GB, Corsair XMS2 4x2GB 800MHz DDR2, Seagate BarraCuda 7200.10 ST3160815AS 160GB 7200 RPM HDD, Thermaltake Smart 430W

Offline puller

• Gold Member
« Reply #67 on: September 20, 2017, 08:43:25 AM »
Apparently none of the free to play people want to play for free or they would open up a FREE ARENA for them all to play for FREE in....
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #68 on: September 20, 2017, 12:10:34 PM »
Games dying, yet when someone presents ideas, y'all shoot whoever it is down saying it just won't work! Stubborn for changes I reckon. Might as well just ride this thing out til it's over I guess.

Steam brought several new accounts why did nearly none stay? Gameplay and $$. I asked a few steam guys about the game. They loved the game. Hated 15$ a month and felt cheated when the game was advertised as Free to play. It has a few arenas that are free but I don't think it's fair to say this games fully free to play.
neither is WOT or WarThunder and world of warShips unless you don't mind rolling around in mediocre planes tanks and ships.
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
« Reply #69 on: September 20, 2017, 08:07:55 PM »
When I started here, I did my 2 week free trial because it was free, and I saw it on an old bellybutton discovery channel add.  This was before the war heros channel, or adolf hitler chan, or the millions of shows on pawning crap on the history channel... but I was a broke kid.  Once the 2 weeks was out, I did the 8v8's until they went away and I was very sad.

So to maybe find a happy medium... what if we did something where there were "Happy Hours" in the free arenas for subscription players.  You get a 2x or 10x or 50x perk bonus level for whatever you're doing, I really don't know what the appropriate level would but, but some sort of bonus for the pay players to login to the free arenas at certain points to boost numbers and maybe generate more interest.

It might also be neat to maybe do monthly or quarterly events.  Maybe not so much as the full on scenario or FSO style things, but make "this day in WWII" a free event to maybe draw in new players and allow them to interact with MA players.

This, IMHO, would be better for attracting people to what I believe are the main things this game has to offer (large arena numbers [relatively] and historical/squad combat scenarios) without giving away the whole package on prom night.
"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #70 on: September 20, 2017, 08:30:14 PM »
Of the half dozen, dozen "new" guys I've tried to help out since Steam started it seems to me that they just are not set up for a game as detailed/advanced as this one. The complexities and variables of this game make the learning curve huge.

Most of these guys dont have sticks, and many in the VR crowd are trying to use the VR controllers to fly with. Its just not that simple. 2 weeks is far too short a period for the type of player coming out of Steam right now. Sure there are some that think the game is cool, but will they buy a stick and come back? And those that get frustrated trying to fly with a mouse, 2 weeks and they are gone.

I hope HTC looks at other options for trying to retain some of these Steam players. 

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #71 on: September 20, 2017, 08:53:45 PM »
Xbox controllers on new patch... :headscratch: :joystick:
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
« Reply #72 on: September 20, 2017, 08:56:50 PM »
Xbox controllers on new patch... :headscratch: :joystick:

For people used to playing IL2 on Xbox, it would be an easy transition.  I own the game on xbox and it's not as easy as stick, but it's usable.  You have elvators and ailerons on one of the sticks, your throttle and rudder on the other stick and primary and secondary weapons on the triggers.  it's actually fairly usable.
"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #73 on: September 20, 2017, 09:07:46 PM »
Of the half dozen, dozen "new" guys I've tried to help out since Steam started it seems to me that they just are not set up for a game as detailed/advanced as this one. The complexities and variables of this game make the learning curve huge.

Most of these guys dont have sticks, and many in the VR crowd are trying to use the VR controllers to fly with. Its just not that simple. 2 weeks is far too short a period for the type of player coming out of Steam right now. Sure there are some that think the game is cool, but will they buy a stick and come back? And those that get frustrated trying to fly with a mouse, 2 weeks and they are gone.

I hope HTC looks at other options for trying to retain some of these Steam players.

I have to say you are right about that. I logged on to an old steam account yesterday and tried to find AH. Did not see it anywhere, albeit I'm a noob at searching steam. I Had to actually type it in... Overall all it looked okay. I still believe the title film of wildcats is not sufficient. It does not show a cockpit. It does not show real air combat. Only one plane. I'd rather see someone's film of real flying or something...  It really doesn't emphasise the game very much. Then I looked at the reviews and it showed only 3 thumbs down reviews...that's it. I couldn't find a player based write up of the special events, fso, combat challenge or anything. The news section was god  awful. Why not post times of special events? Why not post skins or maps people are working on or are in the game?
 thought the pics and films were some what decent.  Maybe I didn't look very hard, but it was tough to gauge how effective it is. I agree that 2 weeks is not sufficient. It's just not. It's hard to imagine the game from a new guys perspective and I think that's a big obstacle HTC has.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 09:23:51 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #74 on: September 20, 2017, 09:33:14 PM »
Anybody can do a regular free event.  A few people showing up each time will give free players an alternative to the MA.