Author Topic: Optimal graphics settings for VR  (Read 3852 times)

Offline N95KF

• Copper Member
Optimal graphics settings for VR
« on: September 19, 2017, 10:31:49 PM »
Below are the settings that I and many others have found to be the best possible graphics settings to attain the clearest visuals in Aces High with VR. Without getting into details, many settings and post-processing which look great on flat monitors actually look worse in VR because you are so close to the image. Even if you have the hardware, increasing every graphics setting does more harm than good in VR visually.

The goal here with these settings is to get as much clarity as possible, reducing blurred distances, shimmering trees, and things just looking off and out of focus. Achieving more crisp visuals in Aces High with VR actually requires reducing settings, which will give the added bonus of increasing performance too. 

Below are the settings one-by-one, attached are screenshots of the various settings both in the control panel AND in-game.  For those of you without Nvidia cards, just use the AMD equivalent setting.

Graphics Control Panel:
*bold is very important

Anisotropic Filtering: 16x or highest
Antialiasing FXAA: Off
Antialiasing Gamma Correction: Off
Antialiasing Mode: Off
Antialiasing Setting: Off/None
Antialiasing Transparency: Off

CUDA GPUs - Use Global Setting (All)
Maximum pre-rendered frames: Use Global Setting (Use the 3D app setting)
Multi-Frame Sampld AA (MFAA): Off
OpenGL rendering GPU: Use global setting(auto)
Power Management Mode: Prefer Maximum Performance
Shader Cache: Use global setting (on)
Texture Filtering Anisotropic sample opt: Off
Texture Filtering Negative LOD bias: Clamp
Texture filtering Quality: High Quality
Texture filtering Trilinear optimization: Off

Threaded optimization: Use global setting (Auto)
Triple buffering: Use global setting (Off)
Vertical sync: Use the 3D application setting
Virtual Reality Pre-rendered frames: 1

In-Game Settings:

Enable Anti-Alias - Uncheck
Disable Bump Mapping - Uncheck
Disable Detail - Uncheck

Disable Shadow - Check
Disable Reflection - Check
Object Detail - All the way to the left
Tree Detail - All the way to the left
Ground Detail Range - All the way to the right
Terrain Detail - Hi Detail
Environment Map Sides per Frame: None
:airplane:

49Alpha

"We, not they, will win the final battle; and we, not they, will make the final peace!"

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
Re: Optimal graphics settings for VR
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 02:10:05 AM »
I concur! Until the Technology improves, this is the best way to get set up for VR! There are a few short comings with VR but these settings are the best for this generation of VR devices! Thanks for putting in the time to post these settings, Sir! Think it may just help with new VR players :salute 
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline N95KF

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 11:40:33 PM »
Can we make this thread a sticky?  It really makes a difference, and new VR users may be put off if they try flying with default settings and see the blur and other graphical issues.

49Alpha

"We, not they, will win the final battle; and we, not they, will make the final peace!"

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 06:53:42 AM »
I agree some sort of sticky.  Stickys though have a way of getting out of date in a hurry and or taking a life of their own.  When get too big, the information that is useful get buried in manusha.

Offline Beau

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 07:20:14 AM »
When I try to make these changes in Nvidea it says I cant. Any ideas?

Offline N95KF

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 08:19:17 AM »
I agree some sort of sticky.  Stickys though have a way of getting out of date in a hurry and or taking a life of their own.  When get too big, the information that is useful get buried in manusha.

Thats why I would like to make it locked with no new replies, and only the initial post.  I have a feeling these settings will sit true as long as this generation of VR is out.

49Alpha

Offline N95KF

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 08:20:41 AM »
When I try to make these changes in Nvidea it says I cant. Any ideas?

What exactly do you mean, "it says I can't?"

Right click on desktop > Nvidia Control Panel > Expand 3D Settings (+3D Settings) > Manage 3D Settings

49Alpha

Offline Beau

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 08:33:36 PM »
It just says that action cant be done. Its a 3d asus monitor. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Offline N95KF

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2017, 08:43:53 PM »
It just says that action cant be done. Its a 3d asus monitor. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Are you sure you have an NVidia card?

49Alpha

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 09:12:09 PM »

The settings are for a VR headset.

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2017, 09:32:04 PM »
When I set Texture filtering Quality to High Quality, Texture filtering Trilinear optimization is on and it won't let me change it. EVGA 1080 08G-P4-6288-KR

:salute
Sik
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2017, 10:09:02 PM »
Can we make this thread a sticky?  It really makes a difference, and new VR users may be put off if they try flying with default settings and see the blur and other graphical issues.

The biggest issue for blur seems to be anti-aliasing which is off by default for VR.

Offline Beau

• Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2017, 06:03:23 AM »
I have a vr headset. I also have a nvidea card. I am obviously missing something but am not sure what it is. I right click on the monitor then go into the 3d settings. I make all the changes listed then click apply. I then get an error message. So what I have missed is beyond me. Is there a step in the process I have over looked? Your instructions seem very straight forward.

Offline Beau

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2017, 06:06:32 AM »
Ok I see what the problem is. Never mind. :bhead :bhead :bhead

Offline N95KF

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2017, 09:09:46 AM »
The biggest issue for blur seems to be anti-aliasing which is off by default for VR.

AA is important, yes, but that's basic AA in the game.  Disabling the 7 AA options on the card is important as well.  Also, anisotropic filtering is the second most important.  The Default AF setting used by Aces High is way too low, especially with modern cards. You can't see the runway until you're on final, it looks like a dirt smear.  Also, the Negative LOD Bias being clamped is important along with High Quality texture filtering, and turning off the other options I mentioned makes the image clearer from all angles and reduces aliasing when in motion.  Turning down the shadows and tree detail eliminates the shimmering when looking at the ground.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 09:12:21 AM by N95KF »

49Alpha