Author Topic: A throttle to drool over!  (Read 2719 times)

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
Re: A throttle to drool over!
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2017, 04:37:32 PM »
I looked at the vkb pedals and while they looked awesome I felt they were just way over built (if that's actually possible) for their purpose. They look like you could demo a room in your house with em, just dust them off and use them with no problem! I didn't like the way the action was laid out on them too. In the end I opted for the MFG Crosswinds pedals and love them. Just right imo.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2017, 04:43:27 PM »
Oh and back on track VKB is coming out with a throttle of their own next year. Still in development so no actual pics but what's on their site looks like the array of buttons is left of the throttle, out of the way. Actual layout remains to be seen but they seem to let out their design and then tweak it as they get input from the end users. They've tweaked the design of the MCG sticks a few times. Consequently they're a little slow with releases. Still I can't wait til I get the shipping number for that MCG!

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2017, 04:58:32 PM »
For $400 CDN I'll pass, as others have said, the design isn't meant for anything other than their goofy elevator desk clamps, otherwise the users forearm will be all over the switches and controls.  I wish they'd change this AND their T50 stick to more common desktop type dimensions.  As I said in another thread here, a couple friends have the T50 stick, and IMO compared to the 20+ sticks/throttles I've collected over the years, it's by far and away the best quality and functioning unit.  Virpil could really take off if they'd do just a bit more r/d and engineering into their stuff, most users still use their HOTAS on a desktop, and adapting desktop controls to fit on stands or in cockpits is far easier than doing it the reverse way, which is what they're doing right now.

I've seen a couple pics of the VKB drawing for their prototype throttle, their former North American rep showed me a couple but he isn't with VKB any longer.  I'm waiting for theirs, hoping it'll be my primary go to high end throttle. 
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 05:03:35 PM by Gman »

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2017, 04:57:53 AM »
man that is way too many switches
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline streakeagle

• Silver Member
      • Streak Eagle - Stephen's Website
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2017, 07:53:20 AM »
If you play DCS World and fly complex jets or helicopters, all of those switches and knobs could be put to good use. As far as the arm interfering with the switches/buttons, this type of throttle at this kind of price is targeting home cockpit setups. My own cockpit mimics the geometry of an F-4 Phantom, which places the throttle grips of my Warthog almost level with my thighs. When my left hand is resting on the dual throttle grips, my arm actually angles up from the grips. The real F-4 console has many large switches just aft of the throttle, so this sim throttle isn't that far off from what exists in real cockpits.

If I didn't already have a Warthog throttle installed, I would consider this one. It has many switches and rotaries I could put to use that the Warthog doesn't have. But the throttle that has my eye for its authenticity is in a completely different price range: http://throttletek.com/f-18-throttle/

i5(4690K) MAXIMUS VII HERO(32 Gb RAM) GTX1080(8 Gb RAM) Win10 Home (64-bit)
OUR MISSION: PROTECT THE FORCE, GET THE PICTURES, ...AND KILL MIGS!

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2017, 08:02:20 AM »
Haha yeah just a BIT north!

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2017, 05:45:20 PM »
I looked at that Throttletek F18 throttle too, and would buy one, but again, it's dimensions are set up for cockpit users or using those elevator clamps on the desk - not for desktop use, which I'm so used to after siming since desktop joysticks came out that I'm not switching now.  That F18 throttle on a desk, the levers are almost at nose level.  I wish they and Virpil would both make desktop friendly base units, I'd own units form both if they did.

Offline streakeagle

• Silver Member
      • Streak Eagle - Stephen's Website
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2017, 08:39:18 PM »
I built a seat/stick/rudder pedal platform on 6 wheels as well as a left console with throttle on wheels that gives me a great way to use the F-18 throttle. But if I switched to the F-18 throttle, I would have to finish populating the console with all of the other switch panels. Whereas the Warthog throttle and even more with this Vipril throttle, the built-in switches allow me to be lazy.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 08:43:51 PM by streakeagle »
i5(4690K) MAXIMUS VII HERO(32 Gb RAM) GTX1080(8 Gb RAM) Win10 Home (64-bit)
OUR MISSION: PROTECT THE FORCE, GET THE PICTURES, ...AND KILL MIGS!

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2017, 09:56:31 AM »
I have to echo other comments and say I dislike the ergonomics on that setup. Not good.

What I'd like is something with at least 3 levers if not 4, but with the lever knobs being low profile (or at least not over-sized) so that you can "stretch" your fingers or your thumb to press buttons while you still have a finger or two on the lever knob itself.

What I really want is something like a 3- (or 4- ) lever throttle quadrant with a rotating wheel on each throttle's head that is its own separate axis.

That way I could have throttle 1, 2, RPM and maybe zoom FOV all while having instant access to separate dials ON those throttle heads for all 3 axes of trim and anything else I want.

Maybe something like the German Kommandogerat where each knob twists as well as pushes (like toe brakes on a rudder pedal peripheral).