Author Topic: Do away with manned guns  (Read 4949 times)

Offline WEZEL

• Silver Member
Do away with manned guns
« on: October 21, 2017, 01:07:37 PM »
With the player count the way it is there is no need for them, more players in planes and GV is what is needed.

Flame away  :rock

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Do away with manned guns
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 02:03:28 PM »
And then the next one comes telling us Ah should do away with GVs too, because of the numbers.  ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 02:53:37 PM »
Be careful what you wish for, this is the kind of thing Hitech would do away with manned guns on feilds, then augment the number of AI guns and harden them with shorter rebuild times. In this era it's more important to not loose or face hard odds to get instant gratification. And there have always been players who prefer that since I started in 02, they were the minority back then. I still see more of them now than the old guard who wants to fight.

I've also noticed over the years a drop off in the willingness to de-ack a field first to remove manned gun irritations. No one wants to give up their ammo or get towered and have to fly back while the other guys get vulches and kill things. So we get wishes like this one instead.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 02:58:01 PM »
And then the next one comes telling us Ah should do away with GVs too, because of the numbers.  ;)

how about an arena w air spawns, and you fly matches of ~5-10 mins or until everyone on one side is dead. We can also have external view and  gun sight.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 03:00:59 PM »
Wag more, bark less.

Offline ONTOS

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 03:22:51 PM »

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2017, 03:37:00 PM »
So what exactly do manned guns bring to the game that autoguns wouldnt bring if they replaced them. You could tweak the down times or numbers at each field to balance the defensive capabilities of a field with gameplay while returning more players to gvs and planes. Perhaps only leave the 88s/17lbers as manned positions?

What about giving the 88s and 17lbers HE options for killing unning troops. I assume they had them right?

Offline 1ijac

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2017, 04:42:33 PM »
So what exactly do manned guns bring to the game that autoguns wouldnt bring if they replaced them.

The satisfaction of blasting someone out of the sky with an 88 or 37 round.  They also come in handy killing tanks, troops, etc. on the base when the vehicle hanger is destroyed.

one-eye
"One-Eye"

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2017, 06:24:03 PM »
But you can do that with an osti

Offline EagleDNY

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2017, 09:35:27 PM »
Frankly without manned AA there is no chance to stop attack runs other than airborne interception.  The auto ack is basically worthless if you bother to take the time to avoid it.  Having manned ack guns at the bases allows you some chance to get in a gun and defend when an NOE mission shows up, or some tank starts firing on the field. 

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2017, 10:44:51 PM »
Manned guns never bothered me till the 88s showed up.
"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke
P-47 pilot 56th Fighter Group.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2017, 12:59:08 AM »
 :rofl As high as you guys come in, the odds of 88 getting you are pretty slim! I cant remember the last time an 88 got me. On a field any way,now a CV different story  :old:
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2017, 01:36:06 AM »
I dont think man guns should be removed but there should be either a restriction when firing near friendlys or if they hit a friendly they should recieve kill shooter....too many times Im in a full rolling scissors with someone 8-10K from their field and have an 88MM shooting at me finding some success.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2017, 05:33:00 AM »
I prefer manned guns over AI any day.

The problem with the manned guns is that they have a laser range finder. The range accuracy increments need to increase, significantly.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Flayed1

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2017, 08:39:08 AM »
I've also noticed over the years a drop off in the willingness to de-ack a field first to remove manned gun irritations. No one wants to give up their ammo or get towered and have to fly back while the other guys get vulches and kill things. So we get wishes like this one instead.

THIS.....    Last night I made 3 flights to a base to deack it while many other folks just flew around in circles waiting for uppers.   I remember the old days when first priority was ack. VH and ord, if we were spawning GV's and then FH and maybe BH if we were really serious about taking a base.
  I've been to so many base take attempts lately where guys might kill the ord and maybe VH but let the ACK ping away all the while attempting to keep the fighters down,  calling out that town is white flagged and they need troops while the fighters fly over and kill the requested troops. lol. Insert Captain Picard face palm pic here...
 Several times I've had the same experience with people not killing ord when we have a CV right off shore for 15 to 20 min, especially if it's a small base and there are only 2 freekin bunkers! I't not that hard. But they are great at calling out the incoming bombers and squeaking when the CV gets sunk.
  I'm not really sure whats going on here but I have to say as much as I love porking things I do tire of seemingly being the only one some times and wish others would step up a bit.
 Ive listened to GHI having the same problem insert accent "Come on guys pork thee base. OMG I can't believe this. Get the ACK down. Keel thee VH!"   
  Any way -1 to this wish. Just take a 9-T and put 1 cannon round in a gun and poof problem solved.  :D
From the ashes of the old we rise to fly again. Behold The Phoenix Wing!