Author Topic: Enemy Icon Off At Close Range  (Read 642 times)

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
Enemy Icon Off At Close Range
« on: November 08, 2017, 01:38:12 PM »
If an enemy is within a certain range D200 or less, have their icon automatically turn off. 
If they exceed a certain range, let's say D200, the enemy's icon turns back on.
I think it will let us focus more on what the enemy plane is doing, rather than seeing Red-Data in our face,

Of course this would be an optional setting. 
The range to trigger the auto-icon off/on should be set by the player.

Coogan

Edit:  Yes I am aware we can toggle enemy icons.  Not what this wish is about.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 01:44:46 PM by 100Coogn »
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
Re: Enemy Icon Off At Close Range
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 02:02:58 PM »
It's partially an arena setting - admin has ability to set icon distance including turning it off completely.
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 02:06:05 PM »
It's partially an arena setting - admin has ability to set icon distance including turning it off completely.

I'm just wishing for enemy icons to 'automatically' be turned off when the enemy is right in your face.
After they get away a little, well then have them blink back on.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:

Offline puller

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 05:56:14 PM »
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 07:06:56 PM »
If an enemy is within a certain range D200 or less, have their icon automatically turn off. 
If they exceed a certain range, let's say D200, the enemy's icon turns back on.
I think it will let us focus more on what the enemy plane is doing, rather than seeing Red-Data in our face,

Of course this would be an optional setting. 
The range to trigger the auto-icon off/on should be set by the player.

Coogan

Edit:  Yes I am aware we can toggle enemy icons.  Not what this wish is about.

When Im fighting and start getting close to my "shot" I dont see icons at all, just the guy Im trying to line up. They could add this and I wouldnt even notice it. Only time Im using icon/range info is as I scan WHILE fighting a guy. Knowing how far away his "help" is tells me how much time I got to finish up or die.

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 07:14:24 PM »
When Im fighting and start getting close to my "shot" I dont see icons at all, just the guy Im trying to line up. They could add this and I wouldnt even notice it. Only time Im using icon/range info is as I scan WHILE fighting a guy. Knowing how far away his "help" is tells me how much time I got to finish up or die.

My point exactly.
Since it would be an option to turn on/off, I don't see the need for the flamation (is that a word) of this wish...

Coogan
Game Id's:

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2017, 07:54:47 PM »
My point exactly.
Since it would be an option to turn on/off, I don't see the need for the flamation (is that a word) of this wish...

Coogan

The point I was trying to make is when your fighting you should be looking at the plane not icons. It should be part of the training of new guys to ignore the icons when your in close and working a target. That should be as natural as figuring the lead you need for your shot.

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2017, 08:38:40 PM »
The point I was trying to make is when your fighting you should be looking at the plane not icons. It should be part of the training of new guys to ignore the icons when your in close and working a target. That should be as natural as figuring the lead you need for your shot.

Again you are supporting my point.
Not everyone is an Ace as yourself, so little things like this could help a new player.

Coogan
Game Id's:

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2017, 09:00:41 PM »
Again you are supporting my point.
Not everyone is an Ace as yourself, so little things like this could help a new player.

Coogan

LOL! "an ACE" like me, your funny. I dont think we need more crutches for players to "get by", but just more training to teach new players how play.

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2017, 09:09:08 PM »
This has been tried in the AvA and it is terribly distracting to have the icon just disappear. Your idea is actually counterproductive in application.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2017, 09:10:08 PM »
LOL! "an ACE" like me, your funny. I dont think we need more crutches for players to "get by", but just more training to teach new players how play.

Please.  This game needs all the help it can get to get it out of the 90's.
Having the icons the way they are now is the crutch.  Why do you think they change icon range in the AvA?

Coogan
Game Id's:

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2017, 09:11:57 PM »
This has been tried in the AvA and it is terribly distracting to have the icon just disappear. Your idea is actually counterproductive in application.

Don't read my post above.  lol
I am curious.  How did you make the icons turn off when an enemy plane is right in front of you, then back on when it got further away?

Coogan
Game Id's:

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2017, 09:39:28 PM »
Then there's people like me I can't fight in the Ava because I can't track planes even at 200.

Semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2017, 09:43:07 PM »
Don't read my post above.  lol
I am curious.  How did you make the icons turn off when an enemy plane is right in front of you, then back on when it got further away?

Coogan

Icon min and max ranges can be adjusted in the arena settings by CM's in event arenas, by the AvA staff in the AvA, and you can even do it in your own custom arena or offline. It is a locked setting (along with all the other settings) in the MA.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2017, 09:46:09 PM »
Icon min and max ranges can be adjusted in the arena settings by CM's in event arenas, by the AvA staff in the AvA, and you can even do it in your own custom arena or offline. It is a locked setting (along with all the other settings) in the MA.

Then I will have to check that out. 
To me, it looks good on paper, but in practice...  Who knows.

Coogan
Game Id's: