Author Topic: Windows Headset now run on steam vr  (Read 2558 times)

Offline terrydew

• Copper Member
Windows Headset now run on steam vr
« on: November 16, 2017, 08:52:20 AM »
Does this mean AH3 will run on the new Windows headset? Particularly the Samsung one with better resolution?

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Re: Windows Headset now run on steam vr
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 03:26:48 PM »
Got my HP working with openvr today. So the current release should work with any windows headset.

HiTech

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 04:12:15 PM »
Do all of these require Windows 10? Specifically I was looking at the "Acer Mixed Reality Head-Mounted Display" with it's 1440x1440 displays. It might be a good match with my Logitech wireless headset.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 04:31:15 PM »
It does require Windows 10, along with the latest Windows 10 Fall Creator Update.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 08:13:57 PM »
Thanks Skuzzy
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 08:34:57 AM »
Btw the HP 1440 worked very well with 1 exception.

It was unplayable for me do to lack of ability to adjust lens centering.

Offline terrydew

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 12:58:48 PM »
Got my HP working with openvr today. So the current release should work with any windows headset.

HiTech

Reading a review of the Samsung unit it stated that you had to start through the Windows VR portal then go to Steam. Does this mean that you would have to use the Steam version of AH3? Your comments above refer to open vr. Is that the same as Steam vr? Several of the sims I use are not available on Steam so I hope you mean you can run regular AH3 in open vr without Steam?
BTW the Samsung unit does have an IPD adjustment per the reviews.

Terry

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 09:00:43 AM »
Reading a review of the Samsung unit it stated that you had to start through the Windows VR portal then go to Steam. Does this mean that you would have to use the Steam version of AH3? Your comments above refer to open vr. Is that the same as Steam vr? Several of the sims I use are not available on Steam so I hope you mean you can run regular AH3 in open vr without Steam?
BTW the Samsung unit does have an IPD adjustment per the reviews.

Terry

No, only steamvr is needed. Steam creates the openvr api.

HiTech

Offline terrydew

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2017, 08:31:44 AM »
HiTech

Is AH3 written to put out a fixed resolution to a openvr HMD so that a change would be needed to see the increased resolution of the Samsung hmd? Is There a setting somewhere in the settings folder that could be changed?

Terry

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2017, 11:16:45 AM »
HiTech

Is AH3 written to put out a fixed resolution to a openvr HMD so that a change would be needed to see the increased resolution of the Samsung hmd? Is There a setting somewhere in the settings folder that could be changed?

Terry

It detects whats need to run the head set. No Configuration needed. Opener sets up all the information.,

HiTech

Offline terrydew

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2017, 02:35:38 PM »
It detects whats need to run the head set. No Configuration needed. Opener sets up all the information.,

HiTech

I just installed the Samsung hmd. The visuals look better at least in the sweet spot of the view but not as good as I expected based on experience with another game however there are some major bugs

The analog axis of my joystick and throttle do not show movement in AH so no way to control but the buttons work! I checked and windows is seeing the sticks movement in the controller setup window?

There is no interact dot when the clipboard is up but you can use the mouse. The dot is much better as you don’t have to take hand off stick to use.

Without a way to control I couldn’t test much but I think with some fixes it might beat the rift.

Terry

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2017, 02:44:54 PM »
Did you check the mapping of the axises in Options->Controls->Map Controllers?  VR has its own configuration files for the stick(s) so mapping them outside of VR will not map them in VR.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline terrydew

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2017, 09:35:23 PM »
Did you check the mapping of the axises in Options->Controls->Map Controllers?  VR has its own configuration files for the stick(s) so mapping them outside of VR will not map them in VR.

Skuzzy I checked the mapping in both vr and normal AH. They were mapped correctly but when the x,y axis where moved the numbers didn’t change. As a update the throttle axis did work so it was only the joystick which is a thrustmaster warthog. I don’t know if it’s AH or not. I shut down removed the Samsung and plugged in my Rift started back up and the joystick worked.

Terry

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2017, 05:57:06 AM »
If you do not see the numbers changing, then something is intercepting them before they can get to the game.  Usually some type of management program is the cause.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline terrydew

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2017, 09:03:07 AM »
If you do not see the numbers changing, then something is intercepting them before they can get to the game.  Usually some type of management program is the cause.

MS issued an update to the Windows Mixed Reality VR program which cleared most but not all of the control issues.

There is something different about the visuals in the MR hmd compared to the rift. It is like something is not quite in synch. I can wear the rift for hours but the MR gives me a cross eyed funny kind of feeling that I can only take for a while.
Would it be possible for AH to support the Windows MR directly ie without having to go through Steam VR which I think is where the problems are. I think it could be worth you time as these headsets might offer a cheaper better way into VR than the rift/Vive route?

Terry