Author Topic: Notes from an Oculus Rift installation and other comments  (Read 7498 times)

Offline hyzer

• Copper Member
Re: Notes from an Oculus Rift installation and other comments
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2017, 08:33:11 AM »
I use the 2 sensors that came with the package, they sit on my desk in front of me about 45deg to each side.  I don't do any room scale stuff.  No issues at all with smooth movement of the view.  I can look direct 6 but it is hard to twist around so far and keep hold of the stick and keep my feet on the peddles.  I have an x52 stick and use the pinky switch as my direct 6 view, all my other hats are in use for other stuff.  While in the direct 6 view, if I lean left or right, I have just as good of a view I had with either TrackIR or optimized hat views. 
We have clearance, Clarence. Roger, Roger. What's our vector, Victor?

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2017, 09:24:15 AM »
Did you previously use Track IR?  If so, how does the peripheral vision and turn to look behind compare without use of a hat switch or button?
I
It's not like TIR. Tracking is not accellerated it's just normal head movement.  To look straight back you have to turn around.  The hat switch is much easier.

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2017, 10:07:34 AM »
Puma- I have a Rift and prior I had a TrackIR.  I use my hat to look left and right AND THEN I look behind me so it's not such an onerous twist - my old neck and back not being what they used to be - thanks to years of military activity :)

Besides, it just makes it easier to look around if you can cut that time by half and using the hat is still a useful shortcut to do so.

"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Online Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2017, 12:05:59 PM »
Thanks for the replies!  I’ve got a better understanding of how it operates.  Great info!  :aok

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2017, 12:06:59 PM »
Did you previously use Track IR?  If so, how does the peripheral vision and turn to look behind compare without use of a hat switch or button?

Going from trackir to vr is frustrating at best but you get use to it.  I find I use forward-up most.   What made my transition worse was I had my hat switch for things like flaps using trackir.

The big advantage to vr is if you get them in front of your plane, they  are dead.

Online Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2017, 01:15:28 PM »
Going from trackir to vr is frustrating at best but you get use to it.  I find I use forward-up most.   What made my transition worse was I had my hat switch for things like flaps using trackir.

The big advantage to vr is if you get them in front of your plane, they  are dead.

Yeah, I kinda get that feeling from previous trackir users.  I remember the transition from hat switches to trackir being a challenge at first.  Looking forward to the next transition.  Thanks Randy!

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2017, 04:45:53 PM »
FLS which racing game do you play?  iRacing?

I'm looking for more games to play over Christmas vacation I saw DiRT Rally which looks fun but something coop would be nice.
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2017, 06:19:35 PM »
Project Cars 2 has a free demo on Steam you can try. I play PC2 and Asetto Corsa. I don't know which one has better multi-player.

I'm working 72 hour weeks but that should change after Christmas.

Do you have a FFB wheel?

I'm also flying helicopters in DCS. They seem easier in VR.

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2017, 08:49:02 PM »
I don’t. I used to have an old momo setup but I’ll have to get something new. I saw thrust master has some wheels. I need to look at reviews etc.

Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2017, 12:30:33 PM »
FLS which racing game do you play?  iRacing?

I'm looking for more games to play over Christmas vacation I saw DiRT Rally which looks fun but something coop would be nice.

I do iracing.  It is intense to say the least. 

Online Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2017, 07:21:57 PM »
I just hooked up my new Oculus Rift and tried it out.  WOW!

Some newbie questions (and more to come):

The white dot that moves about in the field of view.  What is it and what’s it indicating?

An earlier thread somewhere talked about clarity of the view with the headset on.  It’s much fuzzier than the view on the monitor.  Is there a way to adjust and make it more crisp?  If so, how?

Randy, you mentioned that once another airplane is in your sight, it’s dead.  I found that to be evident in the off line.  The first thing I noticed is that pesky stick bump issue appears to be gone. There’s a much more stable tracking platform.  Pretty near to real world stability.

Thanks in advance for the info.  Any other new guy hints will be greatly appreciated.   :salute

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2017, 07:30:57 PM »
I just hooked up my new Oculus Rift and tried it out.  WOW!

Some newbie questions (and more to come):

The white dot that moves about in the field of view.  What is it and what’s it indicating?

you use that to select things , so if you want to hit okay on a button you put the white dot on it, it's like a head controlled mouse cursor..If you want to check 6 someone, put your white dot on them and hit your check 6.

An earlier thread somewhere talked about clarity of the view with the headset on.  It’s much fuzzier than the view on the monitor.  Is there a way to adjust and make it more crisp?  If so, how?

did you go through the setup process and focuses the lenses properly? there will be some loss in resulution but it shoudlnt' be terribly fuzzy. Also make sure it's sitting on your head correctly. fiddle with it until the text looks better.

Randy, you mentioned that once another airplane is in your sight, it’s dead.  I found that to be evident in the off line.  The first thing I noticed is that pesky stick bump issue appears to be gone. There’s a much more stable tracking platform.  Pretty near to real world stability.

Thanks in advance for the info.  Any other new guy hints will be greatly appreciated.   :salute

don't forget to map a button on your stick to 'tracker center' so that you are lined up with your gunsite. (i think it's under views?  in aces high controller setup)

your then adjust it as needed from there by physically moving yourself around and hitting F10 to save.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2017, 08:18:59 PM »
Turning off anti-aliasing in advanced graphics helps get rid of the fuzzy look.

Make sure the headband is low on the back of your head and the straps are as loose as practicable.

Use the Oculus lens spacing app to adjust the headset for best picture. You don't have to adjust the spacing again, just use the app to position the headset for best clarity. Moving it up and down slightly or tilting it can make a noticeable difference. Once you get used to it you can adjust it in game without the app.

Online Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2017, 11:08:10 PM »
you use that to select things , so if you want to hit okay on a button you put the white dot on it, it's like a head controlled mouse cursor..If you want to check 6 someone, put your white dot on them and hit your check 6.

did you go through the setup process and focuses the lenses properly? there will be some loss in resulution but it shoudlnt' be terribly fuzzy. Also make sure it's sitting on your head correctly. fiddle with it until the text looks better.

don't forget to map a button on your stick to 'tracker center' so that you are lined up with your gunsite. (i think it's under views?  in aces high controller setup)

your then adjust it as needed from there by physically moving yourself around and hitting F10 to save.

I did notice that it would highlight selections on the knee board but, I couldn’t figure out how to make the “click”.  How do you accomplish the click on your setup?

I did go through the set up process and somehow missed the lense focus.  I’ll reattack that.

The tracker center is a must.  I did notice a need to slide around a bit to keep the sight centered.  I also noticed some slight double vision in the sight.  That’s probably the lense focus that you mentioned.

Thanks for the reply and hints, Kanth! 

Turning off anti-aliasing in advanced graphics helps get rid of the fuzzy look.

Make sure the headband is low on the back of your head and the straps are as loose as practicable.

Use the Oculus lens spacing app to adjust the headset for best picture. You don't have to adjust the spacing again, just use the app to position the headset for best clarity. Moving it up and down slightly or tilting it can make a noticeable difference. Once you get used to it you can adjust it in game without the app.

I’ll turn the anti aliasing off for sure.  Surely another pass to do the lense focus/spacing will improve the view.

How close to your monitor resolution do you and others find that the Oculus will provide?

Good, helpful hints FLS.  Thanks! 

Offline Pluto

• Copper Member
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2017, 12:11:09 AM »
I did notice that it would highlight selections on the knee board but, I couldn’t figure out how to make the “click”.  How do you accomplish the click on your setup?

For some reason when I launch from oculus I need to take off my headset and click on the aces high tab in the taskbar before it will let me click with the mouse in game. Otherwise it seems to default to the oculus controller.