Author Topic: the UPS truck visists.....  (Read 3183 times)

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
Re: the UPS truck visists.....
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2017, 01:42:45 PM »
Sure Krusty, will be happy to share.  Hopefully  will start this weekend, otherwise won't happen til mid month or so.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2017, 06:03:24 AM »
your oldest son is awesome!     :aok
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Beau

• Zinc Member
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2017, 06:05:22 AM »
The 1060 runs the rift just fine. Setup is very easy so you should be good to go as long as you have 8k memory and the 3 usb.

Coot

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2017, 06:47:29 AM »
your oldest son is awesome!     :aok

Yes, thanks Bruv, 'twas a very nice surprise!  And yes, I'm lucky that both my sons are awesome in their own ways.

The 1060 runs the rift just fine. Setup is very easy so you should be good to go as long as you have 8k memory and the 3 usb.
Coot

Good news Coot, thanks!  I'm tempted to try it with my machine as is: i3 6100, 8 GB DDR4, and lots of USB 3 ports, but have some concerns about my old 400 W PSU, and do have a new PSU and i5 7600 K sitting here....just right now, even in my mostly-retired state have a lot going on.  But perhaps this weekend, or at least in a couple weeks....... :airplane:
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 06:52:16 AM by DaddyAce »

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2017, 09:45:21 AM »
Good news Coot, thanks!  I'm tempted to try it with my machine as is: i3 6100, 8 GB DDR4, and lots of USB 3 ports, but have some concerns about my old 400 W PSU, and do have a new PSU and i5 7600 K sitting here....just right now, even in my mostly-retired state have a lot going on.  But perhaps this weekend, or at least in a couple weeks....... :airplane:
My i7 2600K runs it just fine and usually draws only 120 watts or less except on Oculus when it hits 270ish including my Viewsonic monitor. These numbers are reported by my UPS.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2017, 01:11:09 PM »
Easycore, I dont believe I ever had a sound issue. Was pretty much plug n play. Could it be WINDOWS 7. I thought it only was supported by Win10?
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2017, 01:34:36 PM »
Easycore, I dont believe I ever had a sound issue. Was pretty much plug n play. Could it be WINDOWS 7. I thought it only was supported by Win10?

....just happen to have the box handy....it says "Windows 7 SP 1 64-bit or newer"

My i7 2600K runs it just fine and usually draws only 120 watts or less except on Oculus when it hits 270ish including my Viewsonic monitor. These numbers are reported by my UPS.

Thanks for the info Easyscor.  My system has similar power draw (similar to yours, read on UPS).  I suspect my PSU would handle the extra power easily, except I have some suspicions that it may have some issues so don't want to test it by increasing load with my new hardware....

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2017, 01:41:40 PM »
 :aok I looked it up as well! It was just nagging at me, I didnt have his issues and couldnt think of a fix that hadnt allready been mentioned. VR is a wonderful experience and I hate seeing guys with issues, and cant get right into enjoying VR :rock
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2017, 01:47:46 PM »
Yeah, I'm always suspicious of Windows since it often seems buggy depending on your system.....but find this community great when you need help.    :cheers:

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2017, 06:17:12 AM »

The Rift and Vive both work with Windows 7.  The new Microsoft AR headsets, being produced by several manufacturers, only work with Windows 10.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2017, 03:21:40 PM »
The Rift and Vive both work with Windows 7.  The new Microsoft AR headsets, being produced by several manufacturers, only work with Windows 10.
Yes, think that was what had me guessing! I knew I had read something about ONLY WIN10 :uhoh I did,too :x

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2017, 03:34:59 PM »
Yes, thanks Bruv, 'twas a very nice surprise!  And yes, I'm lucky that both my sons are awesome in their own ways.

Now if this is due to all them elk hind quarters you've been having to tote I know someone who could make it worth your while........................ ..........

:D

Enjoy it DaddyAce!

:salute
Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2017, 06:11:42 PM »
Now if this is due to all them elk hind quarters you've been having to tote I know someone who could make it worth your while........................ ..........

:D

Enjoy it DaddyAce!

:salute

Well Pudgie, no elk to pack out this year,  but we had some very cool experiences getting into elk late in the season.  We never fired a shot on elk this year.   I  have to give my hunter son kudos for developing a strong ethic for being safe and respectful of the animals.  He challenged himself to hunt with iron sights (no scope) and passed up some very close shots when the animals were skylined, but like his Dad, he cherishes getting out and getting close to the animals and will not take the shot unless he's entirely comfortable that it'll be a clean kill and there are no safety issues.  There's no taking back the bullet once you let it fly.  For us it's  most important to have the adventure, challenge and interesting experiences and feel good about what we did than necessarily take a shot.  Most seasons we end the season with plenty of meat.  This year we have one antelope, but still some leftover meat from last season.

And thank you sir for the kind wishes!   Am looking forward to returning home and getting back into the game with the rift!   :salute

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2017, 06:39:09 PM »
I will be interested in hearing how the setup goes and your first reactions/stumbling-points.

I, too, am assembling some computer parts that will allow future VR use. They haven't arrived yet, but it will be fun to put it all together and max out my eye candy in some games.  :D

Krusty I found setup pretty easy overall, and I'd say easier than I expected, other than getting the mic to work, and with a little guidance from Kanth and Jazzi, was quite simple to solve.  I referred to Easyscor's post a couple times, and the VR board in general.  Easy has some very good suggestions in his post that will help keep you on track.   My puter has plenty of USB ports, and had absolutely no issues with USB, and see no need for external powered hub, at least for my setup.

I saw no indication on the rift or in the materials that the unit even had a mic.  My starting assumption was that I'd need to add one.  But it is there.  Once I found it in Windows, and the in the Aces High sound option and made sure it was appropriately selected it started working, and seems to be very good quality.  Wish I could be a bit more specific here, but am 2500 miles from my system at the moment....

I have never experienced a 3-d movie or VR before, so the Oculus intro demo was pretty mind-blowing for me.   Others have summarized comparisons to flying with a monitor, and I agree, except perhaps, if anything for me folks have understated the amazing feeling of immersion IN the game.  I think I'm quite hooked after only an hour or 2 and can't wait to get back to it!    :airplane:

Good Luck Krusty, there's a great bunch of folks here to help you, and my guess is you'll love it!    :airplane: