Author Topic: What function places the trees and buildings  (Read 449 times)

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
What function places the trees and buildings
« on: December 04, 2017, 02:41:53 PM »
The 1 mile x 1 mile town shape (or any of the base shapes or strat shapes, for that matter), once you export it for AC3D, is very customizable.  Even the bitmaps can be altered to suit whatever you're trying to do.  And you can add berms and finer terrain features right into the wire frame.   

The thing that escapes me, though, are the clutter, trees and buildings.  How is that painted in.  The game uses Speedtree, I get that.  But what tells the editor to place the specific types of clutter here or there in a town, or a gun emplacement, or a building that's destructible, etc.  Where and how is that done, exactly. 

Instinct is telling me it's a baked-in somehow, and the game looks for cues in one of the bitmaps.  But I don't know which ones.  You open the wire frame in AC3D and you see the terrain, and you open the bitmaps in Paint and you see what each brings to the end product.  But I don't see anywhere what actually drops the buildings and gun pits and trees and oil tanks, etc, into the final town shape, base shape or strat shape, etc.

Reason I ask is for the AvA terrains.  I'm trying to make the shapes for the terrain on the north and south sides of the Ludendorff Bridge.  It would help me tremendously to learn how the clutter (buildings and trees and such) is placed in a shape like a town or GV base.

Thanks
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 03:46:11 PM by 8thJinx »

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943.  Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
Re: What function places the trees and buildings
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 08:42:00 PM »
I figured this all out, with some big help from Waffle.  I have this 100% down pat.  I am writing a tutorial on how to do it now.

AvA terrain guys, this will allow us to make repeatable areas with berms, areas with street tank fights, intense tank fights at bridge heads with lots of terrain features, and different city and town shapes.  We could make our own Bastogne surrounded by four capturable motor pool bases, each situated inside of a small town, with the main town of Bastogne in the center.  The list is endless when it comes to AvA terrains.

I'm even going to make a couple of 1 mile square tile shapes with defensive positions on the approaches to towns, or at spawn areas, and see if they'll get approved for the main arenas.  Maybe even re-create the Crater and put it up as a free arena like the Match Play or WW1 arenas.

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943.  Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 09:27:35 PM »
Okay, that's good since we don't do any terrains without custom stuff.  :neener:   :noid
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline ghostdancer

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 10:16:28 AM »
Good to hear. Only arena that doesn't take custom objects is the MA but as you already know you can always submit your custom stuff to HTC to see if they approve it and then will make it an inlcuded object in the TE. SEA also takes custom objects but I am not an AC3D person (don't have that skillset) which is why the AH3 terrains don't have any at the moment.
X.O. 29th TFT, "We Move Mountains"
CM Terrain Team

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 11:56:17 AM »
AC3D is extremely easy and very powerful.  I like it a lot better than L3DT.