Author Topic: frame rates and freezes  (Read 5104 times)

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
Re: frame rates and freezes
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2018, 06:36:06 PM »
DaddyAce,

Just to be clear because i didn't see this detail in your post:

The only time the rift appears as a display option in windows is when the oculus software is running.
As soon as you close oculus software, the rift display disappears from windows.

So you either need to launch the oculus software manually by clicking on it and leaving it running or put the rift on your head and click through the warning and leave it running , before it will show up as a device in windows.

Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2018, 07:40:07 PM »
Yes, did that.  Ran thru the sequence you suggested.  Find single monitor thru Win display settings, then close that.  Run Oculus software, the go in again.  I can see 3 monitors on your example, but Win 10 on my machine still shows only one in Display Settings, and since it shows only one I tried "Detect", which only yields "Didn't detect another display"....despite that I can put my Rift on and see that it's working, and can actually have the Rift on my forehead and hear the background music and see the Oculus Dash menu (both on my monitor and in the Rift), at the same time Windows says it doesn't detect another display.  But thank you for your help, and the good news it that the Rift does actually work.  Meanwhile I'll write it off to Windows weirdness short term.  I expect to soon not be able to use it for a couple of months, and hopoe software issues smooth out before I return.    :salute

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2018, 08:59:45 PM »
Ooops!  I take back the working fine part......just tried running Aces High with Rift and BETA software installed.....won't work now and I get a vague message in the rift about "Critical Error  Oculus isn't working correctly....."

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2018, 09:27:15 PM »
Update....seem to have it working with Aces High again....I don't think I changed any settings....just fiddled around exploring, trying to find some setting to change that would make it work, without any apparent luck, other than I tried again after several failures and reboots, but it seems to be working again.   :headscratch:

:airplane:

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2018, 10:25:39 PM »
 :O Thats just weird! All I did was run update that oculus had and poof. Only thing I can think of is with Windows? Do you have the BIG update, the one that can cause nightmares? I rolled my WIN10 back to before that particular update, some time before Thanksgiving as it was causing havoc :uhoh   Well come to think of it, I believe I rolled back and then redid the update? I really cant remember. I have dxdiag report from Sept and just ran a new one and WIN version numbers are identical :confused:   THINK I rolled it back?  :old: :bhead
Operating System_Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 15063) (15063.rs2_release.170317-1834)

« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 10:40:45 PM by 1stpar3 »
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2018, 10:46:43 PM »
 :rock Checked my updates and the CREATORS update WAS NOT installed...so I did remember it correct :uhoh OR did I :bhead   Anyway, I dont have the Creaters update running my Win10 :cheers: 1 more thing the Public Test panel switch in Oculus is turned on.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 10:48:59 PM by 1stpar3 »
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2018, 11:42:55 PM »
Yes, 'twas annoying.  But it seems to work fine now other than not showing 2 displays.

I had to roll the Fall Creator's update back as well.  My puter would not run anything worth a darn with that monster.  I also did have a rare stability issue back then too, which has completely cleared up since I upgraded my PSU & CPU ( I was suspicious of my old PSU).

I don't get it, the rift shows connected in the Oculus software, but doesn't show in things like "Display Manager" or "Device Manager"....the Oculus sensors do show in Device manager, but the Rift doesn't show at all.

But it's okay, at least it works in game.   ....and I flew a few sorties and don't recall the pauses I was getting before the new Oculus software....

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2018, 01:30:07 AM »
:rock Checked my updates and the CREATORS update WAS NOT installed...so I did remember it correct :uhoh OR did I :bhead   Anyway, I dont have the Creaters update running my Win10 :cheers: 1 more thing the Public Test panel switch in Oculus is turned on.

Do you mean you don't have the FALL Creators Update (1709) installed, or are you still "missing" the earlier Creators Update (1703), too? Just for clarification...
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2018, 05:19:41 AM »
I have the creators update and use tthe public beta check option on the oculus software and do not have a problem with rift.

AH I start the oculus software first.  Then put on the headset, then using th oculus dash, I click on the Desktop.  That gives me access to the windows desktop.  Then I click on the AH icon on the windows tool bar to launch AH.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2018, 01:48:33 PM »
I have the creators update and use tthe public beta check option on the oculus software and do not have a problem with rift.

AH I start the oculus software first.  Then put on the headset, then using th oculus dash, I click on the Desktop.  That gives me access to the windows desktop.  Then I click on the AH icon on the windows tool bar to launch AH.
Right, last section of this topic was dealing with the resolution and Rift showing up as a display device. Wasnt about getting it to work, well for most lol Daddy JUST HAS to be DIFFERENT :kiss: :rofl

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2018, 01:55:51 PM »
Do you mean you don't have the FALL Creators Update (1709) installed, or are you still "missing" the earlier Creators Update (1703), too? Just for clarification...
I guess I have the 1703 update. The only place I saw those numbers were in my DXDIAG I did yesterday. Was in my last post operating System_Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 15063) (15063.rs2_release.170317-1834)  rechecked my update history and YES all 1703 updates were installed. The 1709 Fall Creator was NOT installed   :aokDidnt notice both were referred to as "Creators Updates" :uhoh
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 02:02:17 PM by 1stpar3 »

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2018, 04:55:35 PM »
...... well for most lol Daddy JUST HAS to be DIFFERENT :kiss: :rofl

:rofl   Unfortuntaely I think you may have me pegged,  ;)  and I think I know some folks who may agree with your assessment 1stpar!  Although I don't seem to understand or have control over some of the vagaries of my puter!   :headscratch:

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2018, 09:26:20 PM »
I'm having a strange occurrence.  After following Kanth's guidance of turning on Oculus, checking W10 display options and confirming the Rift is selected, opening the game within Oculus, going to video settings and confirming the VR is correct, I deselect the "Disable v sync" box (which is checked), get the restart game message, restart, check the game video settings again and find the "Disable v sync" box is again checked.  So, I cancel that, go into the game and get no better than 45ish for a frame rate.

When Kanth first put up her very helpful guidance, it worked perfectly and I was getting 90s frame rates.  I've reread Kant's post twice and confirmed all the settings.

For some reason that I don't understand, the "Disable v sync" box will not stay unchecked.   :rolleyes:   Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug? 

I also checked and have the 1709 update installed.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2018, 09:41:51 PM »
 :aok Its a bug,mine does same thing

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2018, 10:58:38 PM »
I suspect mine is doing the same Puma, at least in terms of Vsync being disabled.  I was just flying in the MA, and had noticed tearing, especially on the reflector sight, and noticed my frame rates were up over 100.  I think having Vsync enabled would keep FPS (at least on my machine) at 90 with no tearing, which is what I was initially getting.  So far for me the Beta has been a bit of a hassle on my machine.  I do think the pauses are shorter and less frequent.  But I also have something odd going on in that my software will not show the Oculus as a display, but nonetheless it works, usually.