Author Topic: You know something is not quite right when the best defence is to up a bomber  (Read 5600 times)

Offline Dundee

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
I would think that a set of B-17's sitting on the runway (firing their guns) would be an easy target.
I believe the convergence on those are D-500.  Many planes have no problems shooting well before that.

Coogan
The guns don’t fire on the ground you have to be in the air

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
For 15 years curbing other peoples fun under the cover of "good for the game" has been a holy grail by those who know better than everyone else. Hitech seems to never agree with them aside from enforcement adjustments of his own. NOE was curbed to make people stop hiding from each other in hoards. They still hid from each other after the radar change, and now there are less of them hiding from each other and no more missions. Just not hiding in hoards from each other at least. :rolleyes:

You make your fun in this game and if you can't, well, you leave or come here and whine about it. Or does Hitech have the MODs force us all to "just get along" for our $14.95?? I'd like to see the rule book those MODs would be forcing us from, wouldn't you? Kind of like the Internet was not broken in 2015 when it got MOD'd real good, and now AH needs rules so we will all get along together and "be happy"?? And the answer to not everyone being happy in primary education was to take away recess and sports for the greater good.

How much are you willing to take away from all those other paying customers who don't play the game your way?

Your an "all or nothing" kind of guy aint cha bustr!

Nobody is saying take the buffs away, nobody is saying take the GVs away, nobody is looking to have MODs police game play, personally Im looking to see the game turned toward the action packed game we use to have.

Make missions with waypoints count for something more.... perks for joining, perks for grabbing the base as long as 1/3 of the players in the mission were above 5k <---- buffs

Missions with more than 3 buff groups staying above 5k earn double perks.

Have a new heading in the hanger with fighter, attack, add defend. When selecting a fighter it is scored under defense and perks are doubled.

Tweaks like these still allow "lame game play" but it also gives incentives to play a different way. Maybe expand a players repertoire maing the more fun for everyone. 

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
The guns don’t fire on the ground you have to be in the air

That’s wasn’t his point. 

He’s saying that even if they COULD shoot on the ground they’d be an easy target in his opinion.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
- THE DAMNED -
King of the Hill Champ Tour 219 - Win Percentage 100
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
That’s wasn’t his point. 

He’s saying that even if they COULD shoot on the ground they’d be an easy target in his opinion.

The bombers when used as additional field acks while sitting on the runway weren't easy targets.  In addition to all the bomber guns to contend with, you also had the field acks which were far more lethal then the field acks are now.  Which is why the ability to fire from the bomber gun positions was disabled while on the ground.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Sounds plausible. 
”KILLER V”
- THE DAMNED -
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
That’s wasn’t his point. 

Correct.  I should of phrased it that way.   :cheers:

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Correct.  I should of phrased it that way.   :cheers:

Coogan

:salute  :cheers:
”KILLER V”
- THE DAMNED -

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Your an "all or nothing" kind of guy aint cha bustr!

Not really, I don't have the time to waste virtue signalling and living in an illusion that you will get players to do anything other than what they want to for their $14.95. Ten years ago the players wanted to do all of those things you virtue signal about. Today the players don't want to do those things. Those who are left from ten years ago, many sit around and lament the good old days and do nothing about it when asked to lead the way or get off their kesters and lead the way to get what they want back in the arena. They just wait and grouse about the good old days hoping someone else will post missions and lead the way. Then when a few do from time to time, there are hundreds of reasons not to join but, they will show up like vultures if something does get going to pick a few kills. There is a reason I describe a portion of our player base as Lazyboy armchair players. It's not hard to see all of this while observing terrains for a year to help refine building the next terrain.

Most of the newer players are either waiting around to do what the vets do or, are playing the game like a first person shooter while greifing everyone. So the new generation is learning how to be Lazyboy safe bet players or, getting very good at playing Aces High like some first person shooter game. There is a reason for so much Hoing and running and alt monkey timidness these days. And then log time vets just doing strange things out of the blue like upping bombers for field defense and that ever popular run an M3 to kill a good base fight instead of fighting. The vets are teaching the newbies their bad habits because the newbies don't listen to what they virtue signal at them, they do what they see the vets doing. Ten years ago when the vets were doing all those wonderful things you lament, the newbies were doing them because that is what they saw being done in the MA.

By shortening the distances between feilds it helps create momentum and removes some of the extra time to sit around bored instead of in some kind of action. More action more quickly will tend to shape players expectations and motivation. Then you may have a chance to get them into missions again, especially if Hitech will put the NOE minimum back to 200ft. Otherwise this is all virtue signalling and many of our vets now days play this game abysmally compared to ten years ago and that is getting passed along.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
I dont think you can throw this on the Vets. Most still play the way they have always played, but the new guys dont want/seem to follow anyone any more. Your right, the FPS type game is what these new players base their game play on. Unfortunately this game doesnt excel at that type of play.

Todays players are all for themselves and few look to bring the fun to others as they play. Personally Id rather fight a guy outside his ack bubble after he has gotten a bit of alt, but far to many players today NEED that kill count and so will run through the ack until  one of them is dead. I have run my jug out of  gas a number of times looking for or waiting for some one to come out of the ack and fight.

OddCaf, the former leader of the Ronin, use to run ops each week, many times during the day when he was on, or when a few of us logged in at the same time. Long time player, gone due to the lame crap most players now use and call a great game play. 10 years ago players not only liked the type of game play that Im talking about but they stayed in the game much longer, coincidences?

If the game is allowed to continue the way it is played now how long will it last? Going by ranks ( i know, not the most reliable way to track the data) we are losing on average 100 players a month. FSO and scenarios are only going to hold the doors open so long, and we hear about the number drops there as well.

If the ship is sinking, even slowly, maybe a tweak or two could help right it again.

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
Can’t really live in the past, just have to evolve with the times.

One thing that I have noticed in the MA, when someone comes over country and asks where they could best help out, they normally don’t get an answer or if they do get an answer there is a small, very small chance that they will be given the information they were looking for. The rest of the time it’s normally someone just being difficult. This community is far from united, it’s like watching a bunch of children argue about pretty irrelevant stuff. If you want change to out and affect it, be the solution and not the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline Dundee

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
I dont think you can throw this on the Vets. Most still play the way they have always played, but the new guys dont want/seem to follow anyone any more. Your right, the FPS type game is what these new players base their game play on. Unfortunately this game doesnt excel at that type of play.

Todays players are all for themselves and few look to bring the fun to others as they play. Personally Id rather fight a guy outside his ack bubble after he has gotten a bit of alt, but far to many players today NEED that kill count and so will run through the ack until  one of them is dead. I have run my jug out of  gas a number of times looking for or waiting for some one to come out of the ack and fight.

OddCaf, the former leader of the Ronin, use to run ops each week, many times during the day when he was on, or when a few of us logged in at the same time. Long time player, gone due to the lame crap most players now use and call a great game play. 10 years ago players not only liked the type of game play that Im talking about but they stayed in the game much longer, coincidences?

If the game is allowed to continue the way it is played now how long will it last? Going by ranks ( i know, not the most reliable way to track the data) we are losing on average 100 players a month. FSO and scenarios are only going to hold the doors open so long, and we hear about the number drops there as well.

If the ship is sinking, even slowly, maybe a tweak or two could help right it again.

Yes FSO is suffering too......the 49th used to field 15 to 20 were lucky to put 6 to 8 in the air now........... new changes are have not helped attracting and keeping new players here, let alone keeping the old one's too. Steam........has run out of steam and that was supposed to put a ton of players in this game, they upped the arena from 500 to 1,000, wishful thinking that didn't pan out. I promised 8thJinx I would stick around to see what changes are coming, or I would have been out of here the first of the year. There isn't a shadow of doubt the game is not where it had hope to be, I'm hoping things change and the game play gets better and the magic is put back into the game. I think the new tweaks have caused some issues, and they can be turned off with a couple of key strokes..... it's that simple.

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
The vets are teaching the newbies their bad habits because the newbies don't listen to what they virtue signal at them, they do what they see the vets doing.

This. Especially given who you're talking to.

Low, slow bombers are easy meat. The only time they're a tougher kill than fighters are when the fighters are 5' off the runway and have absolutely no E to maneuver. Or if it's 999000 gunning, but that's only him. Otherwise bombers are only really dangerous when you're chasing them low on their 6. All of which means if someone is complaining about bombers being used to defend a field it's probably because the field is deacked and 12 guys are circling waiting to race each other to be the first to vulch every fighter that ups before its wheels leave the ground. I have never see a set of buffs clear all the attacking fighters at a field, the most they can do is make the vultures back off enough from a deacked and VH-down field that fighters can take off and get over 10' and 100 mph before getting pounced on. Which is fine in my book.

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
Hadn't logged in AH for a little while. Career change takes time and priority.

Skimmed through this BBS..  found this. Yet another example of "your way to play hinders my way- it sucks."

It's getting silly, trivial, and not very inspiring in my humble opinion.

Sigh..

After getting back into it last July, my "stick with it"-ness is waning.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
Egg, you’re absolutely correct man.

It seems to be a handful of the same players that are complaining but for the most part do very little to affect the way masses play the game. It would be nice to log in, hit up country chat, ask for and get an update as to the priorities as far as the “old school vets” are concerned, after all, their knowledge of the big picture is valuable.

Often times you are greeted with silence and if you do get a response it often is complete nonsense and counter productive to progress.

People wonder why “new” people often play for the two week period and leave, it’s because of the toxic community that we have.

It was mentioned earlier (not in so many words) that someone hadn’t been a member of the community long enough to have an opinion.

You all realize that this is a game and that one of the most important aspects to a growing the player base in a interest targeted game is to have a strong community.

Think about that for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline puller

• Gold Member
I think the new tweaks have caused some issues, and they can be turned off with a couple of key strokes..... it's that simple.

GV dar whine recorded.

Please refrain from whining about perceived issues in multiple threads.
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde