Author Topic: New Vive Pro  (Read 3890 times)

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
Re: New Vive Pro
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2018, 02:35:41 PM »

It's funny you should say this because before the rift, on my monitor i could not see well enough to fly a fighter. For the the first year of being back to AH.

I couldn't even tell if a plane was coming or going or what it was really doing. It was extremely frustrating and I had resigned myself to mostly flying bombers. I have to assume my monitor was just too small because with the rift i have no problem seeing what's going on and actually seeing planes in the distance before the rift-less folk around me.

You are absolutely right about the speeds, and when you are flying some of the less manuverable planes (can't make a lot of last minute corrections ) and need to be able to anticipate, you must be able to see what your target is doing, to guess what he's thinking of doing.

The only alternative for me would have been getting a ginormous monitor, like wall sized or something .  :O

FWIW, I'm loving this conversation. I've delayed jumping into the VR thing for these exact reasons. What you can see in a game is very important! While it may be super awesome for a FPS game where visuals that matter range from a few feet to a few tens of feet, in the flying world you really NEED to be able to see, and clearly, over great distances. Hundreds and even thousands of yards of good vision are needed in this kind of game. Speeds are too fast. It's not the same as running on the ground. You simply HAVE to be able to identify a target's identity and attitude way farther out than just guns range.
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2018, 03:35:55 PM »

I have to assume my monitor was just too small because with the rift i have no problem seeing what's going on and actually seeing planes in the distance before the rift-less folk around me.

I'd have to agree that it seems like those I've flown with that are using the rift, and you were one of them when we flew FSO together, seem to always be able to pick out the dots before anyone else. And I think that likely goes with what HT was saying about the overall res you're seeing in the rift. I remember the last monitor I had wasn't a 1080 monitor. I forget what the max was but I want to say it was only 760? Back in those days I could always see dots way off. But as soon as I went to a 1080 monitor the distant dots are harder to pick out until they get closer. Higher res the dots are still there but physically smaller so harder to see and any aliasing makes it worse.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2018, 03:52:06 PM »
I still think the Rift in this game, and other sims, is a must have, despite the negatives I"m going on about here.  Again, I was a very early adopter, I bought 2 of each, and the mini reviews I wrote on the "other" site, several guys PM'd me saying "wth" when I later came out critical of the resolution, saying they had bought the Rift due to my raving about it in the first reviews I did.

I still feel that way, it's just long term frustration having very high end GPUs (several 1080ti and a Titan XP) as well as several of the best 100-165hz IPS gaming LCDs, that I don't see that same visual clarity while using VR.  As others have said, myself included, it's the experience that's the big selling point.  And it's more than worth it - just because I'm blathering on about what I "wish" VR was, doesn't mean that what it currently IS isn't worth it.  It is, especially for the price you can get a Rift now, which is exactly 1/2 what I paid when it first came out, and that's without the controllers as they weren't included back then, none of the Touch stuff was for months.

Best advice is if you can't try one out somewhere, if you're on the fence, jump off of it, despite the inferior graphics/clarity, you won't be returning it.  Especially if you play more than one cockpit game - if you play lots of them, driving games too, it's a no brainer, and should be the very next thing you buy IMO.  If you live in a major center, BestBuy/whatever often has a demo one out, sneak in AH on a thumb drive and tell the sales-geek you'll only buy it if you can try it, frequently they'll let you.  Then you'll see what everyone is going on about, it truly is incredible, despite any complaints.  HTC was fast out of the gate, and still has the best implementation of VR across the sim/space/driving sim market IMO.  You lose nothing in terms of competitiveness, being able to incorporate the hat/keypad views with VR lets you see your 6 as quickly as TrackIR/etc, where as in other games, this doesn't exist, and puts you at a disadvantage vs non VR players in PvP type play.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2018, 04:46:51 PM »
We'd like a holodeck but the Rift is what we have now.  :aok

On the plus side, the hardware that runs the Rift will also run a 4K monitor.   :D

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2018, 04:44:43 PM »
Screen Door Effect

I advise you to do a demo of these devices. The visual clarity is terrible IMO. If I had demoed, I would not have purchased.
All the software in the world cannot make up for the poor visual clarity.

I own a RIFT.

:salute
ASROCK X99 Taichi, INTEL i7 6850@4.5GHz, GIGABYTE GTX 1070G1, Kingston HyperX 3000MHz DDR4, OCZ 256GB RD400, Seasonic 750W PSU, SONY BRAVIA 48W600B, Windows 10 Pro /64

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2018, 05:06:07 PM »
My monitor has a screen door effect when I look at it with a magnifying glass. It's not likely to go away with slightly higher resolution in VR headsets.

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2018, 09:24:15 PM »
OLED displays?
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2018, 05:37:55 AM »
OLED displays?

Still there, but a little less dramatic.  What makes VR work, even at lower resolution is the user being focused on what is going on in the world, and not the technology providing the visual.

If you focus on the mechanics of it all, it is pretty bad.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 05:39:38 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com