Author Topic: 9th Pz Div Panzer IV H  (Read 1549 times)

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
9th Pz Div Panzer IV H
« on: December 31, 2017, 09:04:18 AM »
Thanks to Lyric1 for finding me the info for this skin.

This Panzer IV H was based in Romania in 1944, possibly with the 9th Panzer Division. It unusually featured a bird emblem on its turret sides instead of a tactical number. At some point some of its side armour plates were replaced with ones from another tank.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Re: 9th Pz Div Panzer IV H
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 09:14:09 AM »
Fabulous!
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
325th VFG - "The Checkertails"
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 09:16:45 AM »
Very nice.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 03:17:56 PM »
That turned out really well.  :aok

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 04:18:57 PM »
Very cool! Happy New Year! <S>
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline bangsbox

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 12:11:48 PM »
stunning!!!

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 01:16:51 PM »
Very impressive, Greebo!   

With the rough exterior of cast iron tanks, you must make extensive use of the normal map for highlights?  Are you running into any artifacts from compression?

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 02:01:26 PM »
I use the normal map far more heavily on tanks than on aircraft, with greater variance of shades in the height map and with the normal generator's scale setting set to 10 rather than 3. Partly this is because details on the tanks are heavier, panel lines are wider, fasteners bigger, exhausts are rusty, there's a lot more mud and the ridged zimmerit paste and so on. Also the tank does not move around so much as a plane, it generally stays upright and only turns slowly so you don't notice the weird shadows and highlights crawling across the top of the wing that you see on a maneuvering aircraft with an overdone normal or bump map.

I find so long as I keep all the effects sharp I don't get much in the way of artefacts on GVs. I did once try to get a rough armour effect by using a layer of black and white dots which were gaussian blurred but this layer gave an odd glazed looking effect when viewed in the game. The same black and white dot layer looked a lot better with sharp dots and no blurring. The main place I get compression artefacts on planes is on the skin height variation effect I use, which is just a blurred copy of the rivet layer. Here the effect has to be blurred and it is just a question of keeping it fairly subtle so the artefacts are only just visible close up but not distracting.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 04:41:48 PM »
As a joke for our over sensitive GVers these days, put a high reflective pare metal skin on a tank so it reflects all the trees around it. Then post a picture of that as a joke calling it a Predator optical camouflage hunting cloak..... :lol

Wonder how many will think it will be released as a real skin....... :O 
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 05:05:36 PM »
Technically it ought to be possible to create a less-visible GV skin by using an alpha map. If I were to combine that with your reflective environment map it ought to be possible to get a pretty good simulation of a predator cloaking device. Something to think about as April approaches......  :D

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2018, 02:27:28 PM »
Hitech could sell it for say $5 a download and give you a royalty. That should solve the GVDAR issue....... :rofl
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.