Author Topic: WTH is up with video cards?  (Read 27476 times)

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
Re: WTH is up with video cards?
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2018, 04:14:46 AM »
 :)

There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2018, 05:49:41 PM »
 I know it is a tough question, but how long is this price hike expected to last? I would like to come back, but I need a better video card.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2018, 08:10:35 PM »
No one knows.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2018, 08:07:14 AM »
Oh, I'm aware that no one knows.

I was looking for some speculation here to have some idea when I may return to AH. I just cannot stomach the thought of paying so much in light of artificially inflated prices.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2018, 08:11:41 AM »
I do not see it ending any time soon.  I am also looking to update my video card in my home computer, but, like you, am waiting for the prices to get back to sane levels.

Unfortunately, I do not see it ending anytime soon.  It is going to take a huge paradigm shift to get things back to normal.  Maybe by the end of the year.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline streakeagle

• Silver Member
      • Streak Eagle - Stephen's Website
« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2018, 10:12:37 PM »
It would be horrible if it takes a year for the market to normalize. I had gotten a good deal on a GTX 1080 a while back and was expecting to see the prices fall even lower... instead they doubled. I want to get a 2nd Oculus Rift for my son's PC, but I won't do that until I can get a GTX 1080 or better for a reasonable price.

Adapted from classic "Ti Kwan Leep" radio skit:

Ed Gruberman: Yeah, uh, no disrespect or nothin', but, like, uh, how long is this gonna take?

Teacher: Aces High is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Ed Gruberman: So like, what, an hour or so?

Teacher: No, no, we have not even begun upon the path. Ed Gruberman, you must learn patience.

Ed Gruberman: Yeah yeah yeah, patience. How long will that take?

Teacher: Time has no meaning. To a true student, a year is as a day.

Ed Gruberman: A YEAR??? I wanna shoot people down right now! I got the HOTAS! Hah woo yah ooomm!

I highly recommend listening to the original skit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8VD4JXUozM
i5(4690K) MAXIMUS VII HERO(32 Gb RAM) GTX1080(8 Gb RAM) Win10 Home (64-bit)
OUR MISSION: PROTECT THE FORCE, GET THE PICTURES, ...AND KILL MIGS!

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2018, 05:48:36 AM »
More and more people are getting obsessed with it.  They think it is a path to a get-rich-quick lifestyle without realizing about 1,000 people control over 90% of the cryptocurrency market.

All they are really doing is making those people rich.  It is a brilliant scam.  Those people buy and dump, collectively, controlling what coin is the hot coin of the day.  These people control the largest data farms in the cryptocurrency market.  One of those players has a data farm with over 80,000 video cards in it.

They buy train loads at a time and rent 747's to get them to the farms.  Seems the more people that get into it, the more they buy to make sure they stay ahead of everyone else.  It is a vicious circle feeding on itself.

That is my take on it, and many will poo-poo it.  When you look at greed and how it compels people, there is always something or someone at the center of it all controlling who is actually making the real money.

The only thing that can kill it now is if it becomes regulated, which is not going to happen world-wide.  The fight is on though.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2018, 06:07:06 AM »

And here I sit on my puny GTX 950...  :rofl  :uhoh  :(
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #68 on: January 26, 2018, 07:08:20 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

And here I sit on my puny GTX 950...  :rofl  :uhoh  :(
There is a special place in hell for these people. The good news is, when the markets crash there will be cheap 1080Tis for everyone.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #69 on: January 26, 2018, 08:50:44 AM »
They might recover their investment in five of ten years.  Then again, they may not recover from their electric bill.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #70 on: January 26, 2018, 11:35:52 AM »
Heh...  Wonder if we'll see a rash of people being raided for using suspicious amounts of electricity as this becomes more popular.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #71 on: January 26, 2018, 12:11:52 PM »
All they are really doing is making those people rich.

<SNIP>

When you look at greed and how it compels people, there is always something or someone at the center of it all controlling who is actually making the real money.

PT Barnum would be very proud at the notion of cryptocurrency. Unfortunately, currency is mainly supported by the ability to project military power (or power of some kind) and bitcoin has no such backing.

The other question I had was, "Is there any benefit to the computations these computers are doing (other than to get rich)?" Is there a way to capitalize on prime numbers for security or is that impossible?

Delirium
80th "Headhunters"

Offline Dimebag

• Nickel Member
« Reply #72 on: January 26, 2018, 02:50:15 PM »
Blockchain is here to stay

Therefore, mining is here to stay

So just like bitcoin prices 5 months ago at $1500 a coin, that 1080ti @$1100 today may be a deal 5 months from now.  I can see them being 2500 per card before long .

Also, Nvidia won’t be making any more cards till June or so because of a shortage of parts.

$2500 per card isn’t too far down the road

This is why I will mine with asic
Lots cheaper
More efficient
Dimebag
CO of the Black Tooth Grin
Black Attack!!!

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #73 on: January 26, 2018, 05:54:55 PM »
The people I know who make $ mining, on a small scale at least, almost all have some sort of "free electricity" set up, either through their school dorm, apartment/condo block, whatever.  That's the only way I'd consider it, and I've been trading in BC since 2012. 

nVidia is also now officially sold out of the Titan XP, only the $3000 Titan V is left in stock, so, so much for that way to go.

There are some around, but mostly inside already pre built systems siting in stock in places like Staples, Best Buy, whatever.  I have a friend that bought a $2000 USD 7820k system from Staples Canada, just to get the 1080ti installed in it, and parted out the rest of the components - ended up costing him $750 USD, not too bad considering prices and availability right now.

When the new nVidia Volta cards come out, some say Q2 this year - I wonder how it's going to go so far as reserving them early.  My current dealer, who has a dozen stores and focuses on gamers and small business, will only sell high end GPUs to someone buying entire systems right now, or very long term customers who are upgrading.  They also have a shortage on PSUs, big time, it's as bad as the GPUs nearly up here in Canada, very, very hard to find a quality 850 to 1300+ PSU right now, glad I have a couple extra for future builds.  Just wish I'd kept the GPUs I sold off in the last year, 2 1080s and 2 1080tis. 

I hope nVidia and AMD up their production, only way to get some relief in the short term for the gaming industry.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 05:57:03 PM by Gman »

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #74 on: January 26, 2018, 06:11:05 PM »
No idea what anyone is talking about, people want waste money to try and make money?

Don’t affect me :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario