Author Topic: Debating VR or a TrackIR system (older player re-joining)  (Read 1887 times)

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
Re: Debating VR or a TrackIR system (older player re-joining)
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2018, 02:41:34 AM »
I flew 90 minutes in VR today.  Go owned all over the place.  Went back to TIR and suddenly I can fly  lol

I will say this, the feel and immersion of VR is amazing.  Gunnery is much easier but for the life of me I cannot track bogies the way I can with TIR.
Gotta be flexible? Ok, just for you guys and in the spirit of full disclosure....I did update to a Swivel Chair with a springy back plate. Gamey? Maybe! It works though! Its nothing REALLY drastic but it does cut down on the "Chair Yoga" enough, so that it is at least less taxing on me. I do have MS, so any crutch to save energy and mobility comes in handy. Fess, I find that as I play, I tend to know where the con will show up again after I loose him in a maneuver. So I can cheat a bit and get turned to that direction. Sort of like a "lead Turn" in ACM. It did take me quite some time to get used to VR though. I am at the point now, cant fly without it. Even tried the other day. WAIT a minute!!!! What am I doing :uhoh You own me enough as it is, now....ignore my previous statements :rofl  Oh,one more thing...I had been using a "Look back" button, but got to where I didnt need it.  I know you have an issue with this and its hit to the immersion of having VR but trust me. A player with your skills could wean himself off this crutch in NO TIME! DANG IT, did it again :furious Ignore that :x
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline germ

• Zinc Member
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2018, 08:00:05 PM »
Gunnery is much easier but for the life of me I cannot track bogies the way I can with TIR.

You have to certainly move your head. A lot. I've never had a problem seeing my six like some people suggest. But I do have to twist my next just like a real pilot would have. For me, I find it easier to track multiple targets in VR. In fact, lately it seems like I'm getting into fights were it's one against several. I think that might be because I'm staying alive longer now haha..

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2018, 10:12:01 AM »
The way I explain it to my friends VR in AH3 is like wearing historically correct aviation goggles for the period.

Now that is signature worthy  :D

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2018, 10:46:58 AM »
Oh, just do it!  You won’t regret it!   :aok

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
      • http://www.northotwing.com/wing/
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2018, 08:40:43 AM »
FESS67 - generally if you're old like me ( 44 ) moving your head past 3  9 line is a pain.
Simply map a hatswitch to back view ( just one setting ). When looking back, you can still move around using VR while looking back. Directions are switched backwards, but you'll get used to it in no time.
Improves SA a lot.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2018, 08:49:56 AM »
FESS67 - generally if you're old like me ( 44 ) moving your head past 3  9 line is a pain.
Simply map a hatswitch to back view ( just one setting ). When looking back, you can still move around using VR while looking back. Directions are switched backwards, but you'll get used to it in no time.
Improves SA a lot.

Agree. I do the same thing. It works quite well.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline wklink

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.simhq.com
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2018, 02:33:16 PM »
I wear bifocals and have a Oculus.  Bifocals, or reading glasses WILL NOT WORK with an Oculus.  It is a constant blur.  I have an older set of single vision lenses that I can fit inside the rift which works fine.  Luckly my near vision isn't that bad.  If you are nearsighted and don't have difficulty reading small print then it will work but if you can't see at all without cheaters then you will probably have some problems.

Just my opinion.

If you are nearsighted they make lenses that permanently install in the Oculus.  I have plans to order some but I have to wait until after the gvt sets a budged before I drop the 150 bucks for the lenses.   
The artist formerly known as Tom 'Wklink' Cofield