Author Topic: Mossy Bombing Feature  (Read 3345 times)

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
Mossy Bombing Feature
« on: February 04, 2018, 10:37:24 AM »
JVLees and I witnessed a set of Mossys (AKA three mossys) approach a CV at about 12-15k.  I turned the CV in ample time.  Next one Mossy broke off and dove on the CV and bombed it then ...rejoined the set.

I did not think that was possible.  How does one do that?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 10:42:01 AM by Slade »
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
Re: Mossy Bombing Feature
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 10:40:58 AM »
JVLees and I witnessed a set of Mossys (AKA three mossys) approach a CV at about 10-15k.  I turned the CV in ample time.  Next one Mossy broke off and dove on the CV and bombed it then ...rejoined the set.

I did not think that was possible.  How does one do that?

A recording would help.  My guess would be either three players in formation, or one player who knows the limits of how far he can get from his drones without losing them.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 10:44:48 AM »
Thanks for the post.

Really did not look like three individuals.  Lead plane dove.

Wow that is some limit but kudos to the Mossy for knowing how to exploit it.

EDIT: I'll add this. He did not do a sustained deep dive so I think you are correct in the Mossy knowing what ever that altitude or distance way from drones can be.  It was significant though.

EDIT 2: The dive was so deep that I followed him down in my F6.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 11:48:49 AM by Slade »
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 10:54:19 AM »
I wonder too if it can only be done in Mossys or if they simply can perform the exploit better than say a Lanc.
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline mike8318

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 01:35:39 PM »
If there were 3 individuals there would have been 3 icons.
Don't try and outweird me.I get stranger things than you free in my breakfast cereal!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dKgjtBxyis&feature=youtu.be

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 05:35:53 AM »
If there were 3 individuals there would have been 3 icons.

There was one icon.  In fact I tracked it for a sector to intercept him seeing his probably target of the CV.

Great observation.  :aok

Hey I'm not whining or being negative.  I am simply asking how he did it - not judging him.  I also believe obscure techniques should be brought into the light where everyone can do them if they want.

I thought also it could be "time".  How long until the bomber rejoins the drones that is.
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 07:00:25 AM »
I wonder too if it can only be done in Mossys or if they simply can perform the exploit better than say a Lanc.

I'd guess a Mossie or an Ar 234 would be the best for this maneuver simply due to their ability to zoom back up to the formation quicker.

Offline RODBUSTR

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 11:52:41 AM »
     Mk16 drones  don't get very far from master plane before being lost.   I have seen B26 Tu2s and B29 drones miles away miles  from master plane. and keep flying.

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2018, 12:40:57 PM »
What would be the point in such a move? The drone's bomb will land miles away from the bomb of the diver. You don't take 2 gunless Moss16 drones for protection. So?

The guy did nothing except risk the drone worth of perks. Does not sound like someone who knows what he is doing.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2018, 12:49:42 PM »
What I want to know how to do is get your two drones that are trailing well behind the lead buff to instantly jump back into formation with all guns blazing when the minute you start your run.

I've seen many buff pilots who are able to get their drones warping back and forth including into positions in front of their lead buff.  Then I see many normal drones, so I'm thinking either there's a lag issue (fiber on my end), or a known exploit in how the drones operate that certain individuals have figured out how to take advantage of.   :joystick:
"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2018, 08:03:00 AM »
The guy did nothing except risk the drone worth of perks. Does not sound like someone who knows what he is doing.

He executed it with great precision.  It was clear to me and JVLees he had mastered this technique.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 08:04:42 AM by Slade »
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline Rodent57

• AH Training Corps
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2018, 08:54:57 PM »
Did you see more than one example of it Slade?   or was it an isolated event?

I find it fascinating.  Not sure of the utility, but that doesn't mean someone else hasn't figured out a reason to do it.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
-AE

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2018, 03:51:12 PM »
There are a couple of things that might be in play here. First is that your front end might not see the drones in the same position as the guy in the Mossy. Second (and I hesitate to share this, but here goes), if you drop gear after a zoom, and then turn sharply, then your drones will (used to at least) stay with you. I think it has something to do with engaging the landing profile, but speed is important. If you are too fast then your gear will break. Third, once the dive is initiated (gear up) the drones will lag in trail and hold altitude slightly above somewhat from the pilots point-of-view. Anyone watching might think he is about to lose his drones, but when he zooms back up it appears he just rejoins, whereas on his front end they only lagged.

This from my observations resulting from many, many attacks on slippery bomber pilots.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2018, 01:59:53 AM »
Don't wait for drones to return to you, return to your drones. At some distance drones still exist but won't make it home without help.

Useful for defensive moves (heavy maneuvering of the lead ship, and drones probably act weird on the other end), or to dive bomb GVs in between level drops on other stuff (usually the wrong order of destruction, so it's mostly useless).

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2018, 08:03:29 AM »
Did you see more than one example of it Slade? 

One yesterday.  This time with B-25s.  I think the gent in the Mossy pulled it off better though.

I was able to detect it earlier that that was his intention (to pull off this maneuver) and I think inhibited it a bit.  Everyone's feedback here helped me understand it better.

Thanks  :salute
-- Flying as X15 --