Author Topic: "AH player's manual"  (Read 3554 times)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: "AH player's manual"
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2018, 09:19:25 AM »
You could start with anything that's missing from the HTC help files instead of recreating what's already there.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2018, 11:29:56 AM »
You could start with anything that's missing from the HTC help files instead of recreating what's already there.

True dat. Been already capturing all the data already there to form a template for what isn't.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2018, 11:34:10 AM »
Find a relatively new player and get input on what they had trouble finding guidance for during the vertical learning curve at the beginning.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2018, 05:16:42 PM »

:aok

Find a relatively new player and get input on what they had trouble finding guidance for during the vertical learning curve at the beginning.

:aok

When I was asked if I wanted to be a Trainer for AH by Ren back when I was put out of work from some severe injuries in Oct. 2003, we discussed it a bit and I finally accepted the invite in 2004.... I figured I would go back to the  first post ever made in the Trainer's private forum and read up on every single post made until I got there.... From what I learned, I noticed that Dale / HiTech had requested early on for a Training Manual...which seemed like Soda began to start but went dormant quick with no input for years...

I decided that I would start it  over in 2004 and delivered my first rough draft of 64+ pages for review in August of 2004... I couldn't get a response from any of the  current trainer's, so I called dale and asked him to take a look at it and give me  his critique of it.... Dale gave a thumbs up and asked me to keep it coming..... I got to 98 pages and at the time the Trainer's needed a website, so we all agreed to take my 98 page AH Training Manual Draft PDF and converted it into the Trainers Website...

It grew from there with Rolex, Murdr,  Badboy, fuzeman, WideWing, Schatzi, Hammer and Mace and other contributors like Fugitive and batfink all helping...

Skuzzy asked that it be updated to be more closely resembling the Aces High homepage that Skuzzy was updating....we tried to find people that might want to help... I talking with Kanth asked if she had the time and would be interested.... Kanth took to it like an Eagle taking flight with FLS being the current Head Trainer providing input on what the Trainer's want to be shown/shared ....revamping the website for HTC  and the Trainers....

Just how we got to here from 14 years ago

Keep the Flame lit..... The Community thanks everyone who has been a part of progressing forward!

~S~

TC
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 05:22:56 PM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2018, 05:45:19 PM »
TC, your sig/quote should be in the manual.  :D

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2018, 09:16:31 PM »

Not trying to recreate what is already there.  There is a load of good information.  But the learning curve is pretty steep.  I, for one, and trying to lay out the bare basics that a new player needs to know in order to get in the fight.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2018, 08:28:17 AM »
Players manual would be useful for everyone, we don’t know what  we don’t know :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2018, 09:13:46 AM »
Players manual would be useful for everyone, we don’t know what  we don’t know :old:

:D

Prime example:  I had no clue that adjusting my ground detail in graphics settings would also affect the distance at which vehicles are drawn, whereas, object detail adjustments did not.  :headscratch:

I imagine if it were done any other way, would be an advantage in spotting vehicles hidden in cover.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2018, 09:35:02 AM »
:D

Prime example:  I had no clue that adjusting my ground detail in graphics settings would also affect the distance at which vehicles are drawn, whereas, object detail adjustments did not.  :headscratch:

I imagine if it were done any other way, would be an advantage in spotting vehicles hidden in cover.

Tidbits like that kinda leads me to believe that a more robust manual would be advantageous to more than just FNGs.  :cool:

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
"AH player's manual"
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2018, 10:34:21 AM »
Tidbits like that kinda leads me to believe that a more robust manual would be advantageous to more than just FNGs.  :cool:

Definitely agree with that.

I think that a quick start manual would be advantageous. K.I.S.S should be applied to any quick start guide and then perhaps work an a more detailed manual covering intermediate and advanced topics.

Just my opinion but attention spans are not what they used to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline Rodent57

• AH Training Corps
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2018, 10:45:31 AM »
My AH notes\wiki page is here.

Slade,

I like your approach with your wiki page -- intuitive. :aok

<S>
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
-AE

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
Re: &quot;AH player's manual&quot;
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2018, 10:51:19 AM »
Why not ask HiTech to add a few more clipboard pages so the basics can be pulled up from there in game?

Offline Rodent57

• AH Training Corps
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2018, 10:52:09 AM »
Think you just did :-)
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
-AE

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
Re: &quot;AH player's manual&quot;
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2018, 11:00:35 AM »
Well there is that haha

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2018, 03:03:36 PM »
Just like the player who created the current AH3 clipboard maps took it on himself and Hitech liked what he was offering to the community. Or my historic gunsight package that are the game defaults today. Everything from a keyboard map to all the basic HowTo's can be placed in the same file format as maps, then offered to the community and Hitech for his sanctioning and distribution with the game download as a default.

First one of you has to create them and share them like the original maps were a few years ago.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.