Author Topic: Mediterranean Tile Set Testing and Topo Testing. II  (Read 4235 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: Mediterranean Tile Set Testing and Topo Testing. II
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2018, 08:40:06 PM »
At some point you have to go back in and paint a block of work. And this is just a first pass to get one effect before I can pass through again for the final effect.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2018, 02:33:20 PM »
Large amount of painting becasue those gorges and canyons all have two faces.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2018, 08:22:09 PM »
Finally I feel like I'm getting somewhere....

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2018, 11:18:24 PM »
This is where the raise hill tool shines. I can use it set to about 3 miles and pull up a ridge line with a series of low peaks that I can work down each side to create the high and low areas of runoff slopes. Just on mouse click at a time and enough pops up to create the texturing.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2018, 01:57:26 AM »
The post in the general forum about this terrain was slowing down due to screen captures.

No, it was slowing down due to lack of interest.  You are creating pages and pages of content that very few people care about.  I have come to the point that I simply do not want to open a post made by you and I want this post of mine to let you know that.  The passion you have for creating maps is yours.  Most of us do not care.

I bought a new car the other week.  I bought it because it suited my needs.  I do not care what the engineers had to go through to make it.  I have no interest in how the HUD is created, nor how the auto gears make their selection.  I care about how it drives and if it suits my needs.

Do me a favour (and I suspect a few others), get on with your hobby but sheesh do it quietly in a dark room.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2018, 11:51:11 AM »
That's OK incessantly disparaging people on 200 for not being the man you are every night you are in the MA does the same thing to me. And I've been watching that for 17 years by every incarnation of FESS types of players imaginable. We used to have whole squads of them trolling everyone to see if they could get them to loose their cookies and Skuzzy rule# them or ban them. I've noticed they are the ones most irritated by what I'm doing and care the least about anything other than what drives them to end up disparaging others on 200 for not being digital men in a computer game. I suppose you wanted me to fill that space with, dang my ACM rocks you all suck, neener, neener, neener, like is the usual level for the forums. Or Hitech is a big meenie because he won't do x,y,z for "me". That bores the dog stuff outta me since it never gets above a middle school locker room in most cases. Building a terrain has more tangible benefits becasue I'm providing something for others to have fun playing on and not disparaging them for their short comings. It does diddly to make my ACM better, usually less becasue I play less being visually burnt out looking at a terrain. At no point did I start disparaging anyone for not being the terrain builder I am, I was just showing everyone what it takes to produce the arenas they take for granted and gripe at Hitech about. But a whole bunch of you introduced vitriol into it or tried to inject what they wanted my terrain to be instead of just building their own. It was easier to be offended and do an incarnation of FESS.

I've gotten all that you are less than me becasue I'm better than you at ACM out of my system a very long time ago. I started out in Air Warrior with your attitude almost 30 years ago. Ask 999000 about when we first met. I believed a rumor that flying a spit9 inverted in AW made it invisible to bullets the first time I met 999000's B17.

And now you finally brought it in here..... You interested in building a terrain for the AH community or just thumping your chest?? 
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2018, 09:46:05 PM »
No, it was slowing down due to lack of interest.  You are creating pages and pages of content that very few people care about.  I have come to the point that I simply do not want to open a post made by you and I want this post of mine to let you know that.  The passion you have for creating maps is yours.  Most of us do not care.

I bought a new car the other week.  I bought it because it suited my needs.  I do not care what the engineers had to go through to make it.  I have no interest in how the HUD is created, nor how the auto gears make their selection.  I care about how it drives and if it suits my needs.

Do me a favour (and I suspect a few others), get on with your hobby but sheesh do it quietly in a dark room.

Since I care about the work Bustr does on terrains why don't you do me a favor and just ignore the thread without the hissy? I, unlike some, don't presume how many appreciate it to the same degree nor is it my business to. I'm not sure why it bothered you enough to take public issue when, yes, you can choose not read this thread. AAMOF, why would you even visit the TE forum, since it's not your cuppa? If you want to post pics of your new car in the O Club, who cares? But AH terrain building isn't like your new car and when I resume playing I plan to try my hand at building terrains and Bustr's shared experience (no matter how boring or offensive it is to you - or anyone) is gold to me.

Offline Dace

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2018, 01:53:37 AM »

Then don't.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2018, 05:56:48 PM »
All of the recent convoy road, train track and river testing for the new supply system made me work out my placement for the strats.

The ring is 6 miles diameter, the HQ is to the top and those smaller installations are ACK bases.

Here are the only places I can shoe horn these in, and it looks like I will only have room for two uncapturable super large airfields. And one will be a 163 field. This should give a good target for bomber players and I'll setup resupply as c47 only. Looks like I will have to lay in another small airfield so I can use the ring tool set to 19miles to see if I can put in one last capturable field for a Ft. Apache assault point to hit the strats. With the new resupply paths there will be 6 trains to kill but, then there will be all that ack. :P  I can run a spawn ring through the outer edge of the combat zones giving a GV capture path to get close. At least the new river tool will make tidying up all of my rivers much easier. The bomber guys should be happy, if they want they can NOE on top of those mesas that frame the canyons between 6-8k ft the whole way to the strat complex. I put a big radar blind area out there in the back of each country.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2018, 07:46:05 AM »
I like that. :)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2018, 12:16:15 PM »
I hate that ring, it's in radii and I keep thinking diameter because most things in the mundane world are given in diameter of circles while this ring is a measuring tool based on the distance from the object in the center...... :rolleyes:
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2018, 02:56:09 PM »
Ok, I just mapped the city location, then turned on the 6mile radii ring and laid down all the strat and AA feilds to get my location tags. This will be a great bomber honey pot and give guys something to burn up some perks on 163 for. Making it a large wheel, you can only plan one pass over 12 miles and then you have to turn around. That will keep you in one spot all night and in the ack along with holding in place for interceptors. I'll place a super large airfield on each side of this complex and players can fly c47's in for resupply.

If Hitech gets the road paths to where they will work as visual only with no resupply trucks running. I'm thinking of running a road system that I'll run a GV spawn out of a nearby field to within 5 or so miles and the road will run like 10 or 15 miles to this strat complex with a ring around the city. I think I can put in one more field that will host that spawn and allow players to fly to the strats or run GV's on a long road trip if they first can capture that field. Or, just put in one of those super large vBases. I can use it as a M3 resupply point for bases farther south. Terrains are all about shoe horning things in after the fact while you get to about this stage and have a better idea of the land masses.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2018, 08:19:36 PM »
You are a perfectionist, sir. I am plagued by the same malady. At least you're not crippled by it, like me. ;)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2018, 01:47:17 PM »
You would be surprised how fast creating some of this has become for me now that I've stopped being a perfectionist on this project about working up the major features. Between the sandbox testing for micro terrain hill texturing and creating the three rift valleys in this project, the feature creation techniques have been mostly standardized. I realized a faster way to paint those green tree upland areas a few days ago. For the previous few weeks I had been doing them slowly with a medium brush while just missing borders to create those light green runoff lines. That was a bassakward way to do it. since all the runoff ridges are created with a raise hill medium diameter brush, there is a random pattern of low areas that act like runoff canyons.

So you use a large brush and slop on the green tree tile to the whole area. Then come back in with a tiny brush of light green and highlight the runoffs. I thought I was getting a better random pattern of light green by using a brush just smaller than the one I used to raise the features so that each time I clicked there would be a light green seam between at the low areas. Looks really good and took twice as long versus slopping in all the green, then highlighting the low areas with a fine brush. It was a better coloring technique for those large mountains to the right of the screen capture than the midland hills I'm working on right now.

Speaking of those midland hills, I still have to use a 50% brush with a lighter tree tile to feather out the bottoms of each slope like the ones to the SW of those I've just painted in the runoff canyons. I need to thank greebo here becasue when he upgraded CraterMA to AH3 and recolored it, he inspired me to believe I could make a terrain that from high alt would look close to a real world high alt survey photo. Still, when you get your nose on the surface of the terrain, our large polygons are clunky...... :rofl

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2018, 04:53:02 PM »
Never fight how the tiles transition with each other. They is what they is and I thought I had a way to remove something visually and I only made it worse. So I get to start over with the lower elevations. This won't take long but, I really wish the tiles and how they merged was not tied to the hierarchy layout of that pallet. I wish they all merged equally when side by side.

So I get to redo this area. Not all is a loss, I have two more countries with lower elevations like this. Better to find this now than later. Oh!...if you are really shrewd with visualizing terrain features, you can paint in an area that is flat with the pattern for a hilly area. Then use that as your guide to pull the hills up into the paint scheme you just painted on level ground. I forgot to pull up that green area just to the east of the volcano field between the two place holder squares until a few minutes ago. One off's like that is where it works best. Whole mountain ranges or mesa canyons need some guide lines.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing