Author Topic: Before installing  (Read 471 times)

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Before installing
« on: February 06, 2018, 11:20:50 AM »
Today I learned that installing anything on Windows 10 should be done after having rebooted the system by pressing Shift simultaneously with Shutdown. Then normally push the button for boot. Then install.

Today it took me a couple of hours to install HP printer drivers. Two downloads with different browsers, Anti-virus disabled, three attempts saying "this can take several minutes" until failing at 99%. One reboot in between with an update requiring it. Finally as a last attempt I did the Shutdown with Shift trick and lo and behold the installation was done in a minute!

This might be the culprit for some misbehaving AH installations as well.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline RSLQK186

• Silver Member
Re: Before installing
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 07:45:50 AM »
Shorty after I bought 2 laptops that run Win10 I was out of town for a week and had left them at home on shutdown. When I got home I decided to force updates as they had not been up to date from when I bought them. That's when I found that shutdown without shift is more like hibernate. The machines woke up every night and connected to the internet on their own.

So I have no idea what else is going on in the dark evil regions of their brains with the so called normal shutdown. I use shift every time now.
Hacksaw- THE UNFORGIVEN
Founder- Special events contingent
"I'm very very sneaky"

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 12:38:04 PM »
I had an issue with Fast Startup being enabled on my PC.  After I disabled that my programs would install proper.
This is on a Desktop, I don't know if it's advisable to turn that off on a Laptop.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 02:11:24 AM »
As RSLQK186 suspects Fast Startup is closely related to Hibernation. What it does, in layman's terms it makes a list of current settings at shutdown and instead of starting from scratch it uses the list instead no matter if the settings on it work or not. It's fully safe to disable it on any computer, desktop or laptop.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 01:13:10 PM »
Hi All,

If memory serves me, you can set this up under Win 10 thru the Settings, System, Power & Sleep, Additional power settings, on left hand side click on "Choose what the power button does" then click on "Change settings that are currently not available" to enable making changes to the Shutdown settings greyed out below.

You will see the following:

Fast Startup (this is fully separate from the hibernate function....only when hibernate function below is checked as well is when these will co-exist....the rest is as Bizman has typed when the box is checked.....)

Hibernate (when this box is checked the OS will go into hibernate instead of full shutdown when the power button is pressed....uncheck it to enable full shutdown w\o hibernate function......).

Lock (when checked it should lock your cloud MS account when shutdown power button is pressed.....I don't have a MS cloud account (or better said, I haven't initiated a MS cloud account...........) to verify this 1.

Hope this helps.

:salute
Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd