Author Topic: VR Options...  (Read 761 times)

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
VR Options...
« on: February 22, 2018, 11:38:56 AM »
Initially, my thought from a VR headset perspective was go to with a Rift and then look at getting a decent video card.

However, there are the Mixed Reality headset options...in particular the Acer AH1-1=D8EY.  Would this work with Aces High and other Steam VR games?
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline flippz

• Nickel Member
Re: VR Options...
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 08:09:04 PM »
I am looking for a new vr setup.  my ribbon cable tore in the head set and oculus refused to repair the item under warranty due to not having the original purchase receipt.  they also have no after warranty support so for the most part I have a useless $400 rift unit. I did fall in love with vr though but will absolutely not purchase another rift set up  as the unit I have is 4 months old.

would like to know how this would work out.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 05:19:37 AM »
They will work with Aces High, but they are not as good as a Rift or Vive even.  They do not offer any IPD adjustments and the software setting it not very good.

While they track well, the software does not provide that smooth motion a Rift would, for example.

The HP unit we have in the office is just not that good.

The Rift is still King.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 06:35:28 AM »
I am looking for a new vr setup.  my ribbon cable tore in the head set and oculus refused to repair the item under warranty due to not having the original purchase receipt.  they also have no after warranty support so for the most part I have a useless $400 rift unit. I did fall in love with vr though but will absolutely not purchase another rift set up  as the unit I have is 4 months old.

would like to know how this would work out.

You can not fix that yourself?  Where is the ribbon cable?  Curious too, how did it get torn?

Offline flippz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 06:36:01 PM »
You can not fix that yourself?  Where is the ribbon cable?  Curious too, how did it get torn?
no unfortunately its not a repairable item by an individual.  the ribbon cable is made in side the right headband and stretches with the headband when you put it on and take it off.  its a well known issue with the rift.
 https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/53308/has-the-rift-got-a-audio-design-flaw
this is a link to the concern on Oculus web site where there is at least 82 documented cases on just it.  there are several links also on ifixit and reddit.  and again, I understand I don't have the original receipt, but seems cheesy to me that a company that can prove with the serial number the validity of the warranty but refuses to fix it because of a receipt.  further more to offer no outside repair for out of warranty units and units that are damaged.  what if you had a rift for 2 months and your brother and his kids come by, the kid tears the ear phone off by accident hes three, well now you have a $400 piece of junk because that ribbon cable that tears with the head phones are connected to also control rear tracking leds and when you turn more than a certain percentage you loose video as the rear leds don't pick up and it cuts out.  so again no after warranty repair they suggest "just buy a new unit".  no real good customer service if you ask my opinion
and if anyone is interested I can forward you the email train of the discussion trying to handle this issue with them 

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 07:43:21 PM »
I am sorry flip you are having to deal with this problem.  A couple of thoughts on the receipt.  I know Amazon will give you a warranty receipt.  Maybe the store you bought it from may do the same.  A  long shot I know but maybe.