« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2018, 06:01:37 PM »
Wings off down to the fuselage?

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: F6F
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2018, 06:12:25 PM »
Just the ends and ailerons Max. You have flaps on the inner wings but you still need to go fast to get enough lift. Use the rudder to roll.

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2018, 11:51:52 AM »
When I was a noob and flying in mid-war, I took up a Hellcat to attack a base from a carrier. I snapped off both wings pulling out of the dive and then flew the closest airfield, over a sector away. Landed successfully too. Hell of an airplane.
Somehow the Hellcat dominates my highest kill sorties. This is in spite of me having at least as many hours in P47s and several times over as many hours in the mosquito. I pulled off 8 kill sorties in the latters only a handful of times and 10 kill sorties only once in each. I did 10+ kills in F6F multiple times and not the vulc... err.. field suppression kind.
There is nothing remarkable about the F6F except that somehow the whole package just works (except when I break my wings or snap spin it into the ground).
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2018, 02:49:22 PM »
any blue planes with that many 50cals can land alot of kills  (if your a good shot)    :)
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2018, 04:08:05 PM »
Well that may be the reason as I rarely fly above 12K or so. Trying to get higher, faster cons to overshoot is my game.

Yeah, but how do you know they're behind you?   :D
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2018, 06:08:43 PM »
The F6F's rudder is very powerful and I occasionally give it a boot full in order to clear the blind spot. As I like to say: "Fly the F6F, you'll never look back!"

For the overshoot maneuver unless I screw the timing up the enemy shouldn't be out of sight for more than a second or so anyway.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2018, 06:11:23 PM »
As I like to say: "Fly the F6F, you'll never look back!"

Heh.  So true.

I used to be able to adjust the rear views so that I had pretty good visibility.  Not in AH3.  Same with all Corsairs except the F4U-1.

- oldman

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2018, 06:26:45 PM »

Heh.  So true.

I used to be able to adjust the rear views so that I had pretty good visibility.  Not in AH3.  Same with all Corsairs except the F4U-1.

- oldman

I very rarely take out a Corsair but have the views all set up.  No problem at all seeing anything behind the plane.  The Hellcat is like Ray Charles by comparison.

A sample view of F4U-1A on the left and F6F-5 on the right.  Notice also the intrusive canopy rails that further limit the Hellcat's view.

I can post additional views if desired, but can say the views are nearly identical in up/back view and the F6 has a marginal advantage in straight up view.  This is despite the F4 having a metal plate covering the pilot's head.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 07:15:46 PM by caldera »
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."