Author Topic: Acer Mixed Reality Headsets and Aces High are not compatible...  (Read 3970 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: Acer Mixed Reality Headsets and Aces High are not compatible...
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2018, 02:00:05 PM »
I should explain something.  When I said do not start the Windows Mixed Reality software, it is due to thefact SteamVR will start it.  If you do not let SteamVR start the software, we have noted SteamVR can get a little wonky.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline terrydew

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2018, 07:57:19 AM »
I should explain something.  When I said do not start the Windows Mixed Reality software, it is due to thefact SteamVR will start it.  If you do not let SteamVR start the software, we have noted SteamVR can get a little wonky.

I think I was starting the WMR it’s self so that may explain why mine was clunky. It also gave eye strain that I don’t have with either Vive or Rift. It has been a while since I tried it so will try again. Will the dot bug be fixed anytime soon?

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2018, 08:09:18 AM »
The dot bug is on the list to be fixed.  I cannot say when, as we never commit to dates/times on these things.

The eye strain may be due to the poor adjustments of the lenses.  I noticed on our HP unit, I could not get the lenses far enough apart to line up the two images.  It was close, but not quite there.

The quality of the lenses did not appear to be that good either.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline terrydew

• Copper Member
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2018, 04:34:02 PM »
The dot bug is on the list to be fixed.  I cannot say when, as we never commit to dates/times on these things.

The eye strain may be due to the poor adjustments of the lenses.  I noticed on our HP unit, I could not get the lenses far enough apart to line up the two images.  It was close, but not quite there.

The quality of the lenses did not appear to be that good either.

I just tried it again by only starting steamvr the AH11. The mouse was only visible for part of the time and would stick and not move. It took me forever to get in a plane because of the mouse issue but once in it was much smoother than before and the eye strain although still there was less. With the Samsung I think the clarity is much better and the tracking worked fine. If the mouse bug is fixed (it’s not usable as is) I think it would be an acceptable alternative to the Vive for sure and probably the rift.

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2018, 11:13:31 PM »
Let's try this.

We just tested the HP MR Headset here to make sure it still works and it does.  All these MR headsets should be the same.

1)  Do not start the Mixed Reality software from Microsoft.
2)  Start SteamVR.  When you get the "Ready" dialog panel, then start the DX11 version of Aces High.
3)  When prompted if it is "Vive" headset, then check yes (we will fix that question).

And that is it.

We did discover a bug where the mouse is still active with the MR headset and the tracking dot is not being enabled.  That is on the bug list to correct.

All this assumes you have the latest updates for Windows 10 from Microsoft.  You MUST have the latest Fall Creator Update installed for the MR headsets to work correctly with any software NOT from Microsoft.
Ok. Here is what I did.

1. Did NOT start WMR software.
2. Started SteamVR (which then auto-launches Windows Mixed Reality).  SteamVR is now green
3. Start AH11 - when prompted for Vive - I select Yes

And the SteamVR shows...

again.  :(
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2018, 05:56:06 AM »
Alright, time to look ay your DXDIAG output.  Post it as an attachment please.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2018, 08:11:53 PM »
Dxdiag as requested

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2018, 09:26:04 AM »
Working through your data.

I need some very specific details on what you are seeing and when.

Does the headset ever display anything when you try to start Aces High?  Aces High splash screen?
Does the headset show the SteamVR splash screen when starting up SteamVR?
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2018, 10:13:18 AM »
When I launch Aces High inside of Steam (Aces High in VR) - it goes through the motion and shows the Aces High and the loading bars cycle underneath the logo. It just stays there. I get into game - the headset directional settings are working like I have a trackIR - just no video through the headset.

When I launch it outside of Steam (AH3DX11) (launching SteamVR first) and then select AHDX11 and say yes to Vive - it just shows a blank video screen with the 3D mesh. Again, the headset directional settings are working.

Both instances, the SteamVR small box (the one I posted) shows as unresponsive.  Kinda weird. Anything else you want me to test?

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2018, 11:01:07 AM »
What happens on your monitor when Aces High is trying to load?
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2018, 11:30:38 AM »
I have two monitors - When I start SteamVR, the left monitor goes black and then back on - and now the VR headset is on, as are both monitors. I then start Aces High - the monitors go into VR mode and it goes "Hit Windows Y" to enter desktop move with a blue bar across the top (Windows Mixed Reality.) The left monitor now looks like this:

..and Aces High appears in my right monitor.  The VR however shows just the 3D mesh background or the Aces High loading mini-window shows in the background (launced via desktop AHDX11 vs Steam-> Aces High in VR.)

Do you think it's the dual monitors?  I could try disconnecting one of them.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 11:33:22 AM by Mister Fork »

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2018, 11:54:40 AM »
The monitors should not have any effect on it.  We render the two (left and right) panels used in the headsets and then just hand those rendered panels to the driver API for the headset.

Why it is not showing up is a mystery.

How would you feel about shipping one of those units to us (we will pay for shipping)?

I sure hate to think we need to buy every MR headset on the market to insure they will work.  That was the whole point of Microsoft's MR implementation.  All those headsets are supposed to be the same, save any external difference which do not impact software.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2018, 12:45:45 PM »
The monitors should not have any effect on it.  We render the two (left and right) panels used in the headsets and then just hand those rendered panels to the driver API for the headset.

Why it is not showing up is a mystery.

How would you feel about shipping one of those units to us (we will pay for shipping)?

I sure hate to think we need to buy every MR headset on the market to insure they will work.  That was the whole point of Microsoft's MR implementation.  All those headsets are supposed to be the same, save any external difference which do not impact software.
Sure - let me speak to my boys and fire it off to you in the original box. Standby

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2018, 01:23:38 PM »
they are both plugged into your graphics card right and you don't have one plugged into you mb?
steamvr will not like one being plugged into the card and one plugged into the motherboard.

Do you think it's the dual monitors?  I could try disconnecting one of them.
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2018, 01:25:43 PM »
Thanks Kanth, good point.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese