Author Topic: Pickup Missions  (Read 1392 times)

Offline DubiousKB

• Silver Member
Pickup Missions
« on: March 15, 2018, 11:27:10 AM »
Hey gents...

Just a thought I've been trying out a bit lately... Because I'm the type of player that will get up every hour for a stretch, smoke break, and a refreshment run, I've been trying to utilize the Pickup Mission tool to promote "coordinated" missions...

I've had the debate lots before in the MA about not having numbers, but I look at it like the Field of Dreams movie, if you post it, they will come.  So I've been trying to post "Pickup Missions" even if my squad mates aren't online. The secret is understanding the amount of time it takes in-game vs out of game to accurately give guys in the arena a heads up. (3:1 I believe 3min in game is 1 min real time)

Alot of the times, it ends up just being me in the "mission", but at least I've offered it up for the country. I've gotten good responses when people 1) Know about the Pickup Mission 2) Have enough time to finish their current sortie. I've found about 10minutes seems to be the best...

I don't see any kind of organized missions anymore, be it a Pickup Mission or a calls to meet at an airfields specific runway.

So... My question for the squads here is:

When you've got good squad numbers online, how do you organize? Do you ever use the Pickup Mission tools, or just squad vox to "get together"...
56th Fighter Group -  Jug Life

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
Re: Pickup Missions
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 10:09:15 AM »
Hey gents...

Just a thought I've been trying out a bit lately... Because I'm the type of player that will get up every hour for a stretch, smoke break, and a refreshment run, I've been trying to utilize the Pickup Mission tool to promote "coordinated" missions...

I've had the debate lots before in the MA about not having numbers, but I look at it like the Field of Dreams movie, if you post it, they will come.  So I've been trying to post "Pickup Missions" even if my squad mates aren't online. The secret is understanding the amount of time it takes in-game vs out of game to accurately give guys in the arena a heads up. (3:1 I believe 3min in game is 1 min real time)

Alot of the times, it ends up just being me in the "mission", but at least I've offered it up for the country. I've gotten good responses when people 1) Know about the Pickup Mission 2) Have enough time to finish their current sortie. I've found about 10minutes seems to be the best...

I don't see any kind of organized missions anymore, be it a Pickup Mission or a calls to meet at an airfields specific runway.

So... My question for the squads here is:

When you've got good squad numbers online, how do you organize? Do you ever use the Pickup Mission tools, or just squad vox to "get together"...

113th Lucky Strikes here.  We found this " if you post it, they will come." not to be true.  One Saturday evening during prime time we posted 9 missions for the night, no one outside of our squad joined.  We have tried so often with such poor results that we decided as a squad not to post missions in the future, we just run them on our VOX.    The game today isn't what it used to be. 
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline DubiousKB

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 09:41:25 AM »
Frustrating indeed.

Still, just like the lottery, there's zero chance of winning if you dont' play.      :devil   

I find the one the biggest challenges always to be timing...

IF you give people enough Lead Time to "finish what they're doing/get killed", you're more likely to gain participants. (see more likely, not a sure thing)  :bhead

Or, if you spam country channel enough during that large lead time...

Lucky strikes not on Rooks right? Because I rarely see anyone call out a Pickup Mission on rooks...  :salute

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 12:48:43 PM »
Frustrating indeed.

Still, just like the lottery, there's zero chance of winning if you dont' play.      :devil   

I find the one the biggest challenges always to be timing...

IF you give people enough Lead Time to "finish what they're doing/get killed", you're more likely to gain participants. (see more likely, not a sure thing)  :bhead

Or, if you spam country channel enough during that large lead time...

Lucky strikes not on Rooks right? Because I rarely see anyone call out a Pickup Mission on rooks...  :salute
Correct, not on Rooks, ever.  We have only been Knights going on 20 years now.  We found timing not to be that much of an issue, just that today's player is not team oriented,  We have using 5, 10 and 15 minutes for timing as well as just announcing that we were at X leaving in two minutes for a strike on Y.  Like I said, a different type of player.  we have always had an open squad and allowed anyone interested to wing up for a flight or the night.  Guys that continued to show up week after week were offered an invite.  At one time, in its hay day, 113th was 20 strong for a number of years.  But then AHII and finally AHIII brought about a massive exodus and the new players just aren't interested in squad operations.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 02:26:02 PM »
I think they just need to be shown the benefits of playing as a team.

I prefer missions (formal and informal). If I can up with a few people with the same common goal as me than my time spent in game is not wasted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline pope14

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 02:42:50 PM »
To get people to join mission I think you need to "cheat" on the first few having as many squad members/ friends join then take a base and say WTG mission. Show people they work and get your name out there for posting mission. Take V bases and ports, easy stuff and you will start to pick up a few people here and there. Most people will fly the mission and give up if you don't get it on the first try I've also noticed, so make sure the first squadie to go down gets troops or they have them waiting already.  The 10 mins is a good frame to put them in also time to lands/die. I know Bish run missions Reaper and Ghi when their on run a few, however flying Knight the last 2 months I haven't seen any other than the Fortress Europe mission last Sat.

Offline SlipKnt

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2018, 01:07:14 PM »
Keep posting...

You will establish a reputation and people will start to come along. 

I am working on something to maybe help that along in the coming weeks.  More to follow...

:rock
SlipKnoT
AKSlpKnT
Arabian Knights
DCS:
SlipKnoT
vCSG-3, VMA-513 Flying Nightmares (AV8B)

Offline DubiousKB

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2018, 11:41:11 AM »
Keep posting...

You will establish a reputation and people will start to come along. 

I am working on something to maybe help that along in the coming weeks.  More to follow...

:rock
SlipKnoT

Yup, one of those things like when I first started and Jayro would get a "strike mission" going just by calling it out on country... There's a few guys who seem to enjoy jumping in with me. <S>

What are you working on?

Offline SlipKnt

• Gold Member
AKSlpKnT
Arabian Knights
DCS:
SlipKnoT
vCSG-3, VMA-513 Flying Nightmares (AV8B)