Author Topic: Seting trim on a analog axis  (Read 1225 times)

Offline Flyboy

• Silver Member
Seting trim on a analog axis
« on: March 16, 2018, 03:35:47 AM »
Hi

I have a saitek x52 and i tried setting roll and pitch trim to the rollers on the throttle.

When i try trimming it doesnt respond at all and seems stuck on the center
Am i missind something?

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: Seting trim on a analog axis
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 05:13:25 AM »
Do you have combat trim on?

Offline Dace

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 05:36:14 AM »
Do you have combat trim on?

Shouldn't matter. In my experience, any input to manual trim shuts off CT automatically/immediately.

Offline Dace

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 05:40:37 AM »
Hi

I have a saitek x52 and i tried setting roll and pitch trim to the rollers on the throttle.

When i try trimming it doesnt respond at all and seems stuck on the center
Am i missind something?
By 'rollers', I assume you means the rotating dials. Those are set as axes, not analog inputs (buttons,which are required for trim).
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 05:43:47 AM by Dace »

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 07:35:08 AM »
By 'rollers', I assume you means the rotating dials. Those are set as axes, not analog inputs (buttons,which are required for trim).

Not so, Dace! I have both pitch and roll trim mapped to an axis in AH. The trick is having an extra axis to map it to. The VKB MCG-PRO has a trick I don't think any other stick can do. One of the hats on my stick converts on a long press from an 8-way POV hat to an axis. I use this for trim adjustment but have noticed that when I have CT on and adjust the trim it does NOT turn off CT as it did when I had trim mapped to a keystroke. That and when I switch CT off the axis stays where it was before I turned CT on. Re-centering is no problem tho. Short press on the hat centers both axii.

In short, in order to do it you have to go into map controllers. Select your controller and scroll down to the axis you want to map it to. Look on the left side for analog axis and the trims will be there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 09:00:57 AM »
Shouldn't matter. In my experience, any input to manual trim shuts off CT automatically/immediately.

That's not correct, CT over rides analog manual trim.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018, 11:28:52 AM »
That's not correct, CT over rides analog manual trim.

Yes and no. As I said above, in the past when I had trims mapped to a keystroke, when in combat trim as soon as I made an adjustment to trim via a keystroke combat trim toggled off just like Dace says. You have to do this in a P-38 in dives or else combat trim will fly you right into the ground! Yes as soon as you toggle combat trim back on it overrides whatever you had manually set your trim to and returns to "center" for that speed.

The difference I'm finding, now that I've mapped trim to an axis, is that when you toggle combat trim on it still overrides your manual trim and acts just like combat trim always did but when you toggle it back off--the axis remains where it was originally. You have to re-trim manually. Which I'm OK with. It's not a keystroke anymore. The position of the axis is where it is until I change it. Toggling combat trim won't move it at all.

I used to use combat trim to kinda just set my trim at a given speed and then toggle it back off again real quick. I don't like how it lags to adjust and for my almost exclusively P-38 flying I can easily tap tap tap on the elevator trim to get where I want to be. I've had to become one with the various trims in the 38. When the thing is intact it's hardly a problem other than elevator trim. But when things are missing or broken! That's when ya gotta really get on the trim.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2018, 12:33:57 PM »
Keystroke trim is not analog trim. Both are manual trim but other than that they are different which is why CT acts differently.

Offline Flyboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2018, 05:31:46 PM »
managed

thanks for the help

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2018, 10:56:09 PM »
Keystroke trim is not analog trim. Both are manual trim but other than that they are different which is why CT acts differently.

Also to note:  If something is mapped to keyboard it may jack the analog controls.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2018, 06:10:05 AM »
Also to note:  If something is mapped to keyboard it may jack the analog controls.

Coogan

Should be the other way around.  Analog controls should knock out the digital (keyboard/button) control.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2018, 02:44:06 PM »
Should be the other way around.  Analog controls should knock out the digital (keyboard/button) control.

Probably very true.
I do remember having View/Zoom mapped to keyboard and the analog slider on my X-52 at the same time. When I tried the slider to zoom my view it was extremely choppy and
would snap back to the original position after releasing the slider.

Edit:  This was back in AHII days btw.  I haven't any issues with AH3.

Coogan
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 02:59:28 PM by 100Coogn »
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear