Author Topic: Remember when...  (Read 3304 times)

Offline GottaAHJones

• Zinc Member
Remember when...
« on: April 19, 2018, 12:55:41 AM »
...in AW3 there was always that FW lurking above the fight just waiting for an opportunistic BnZ on the unaware? His name is well known but in my old age it escapes me but I believe it started with 'F'.

Remember that old guy that flew when planes were represented by a 'T' on the screen in AW on Genie? He went on to work for one of his online combatants who pilots a sleigh here sometimes.

Remember when you had to get a gunner for each gun on a B-17? We called them flying chat rooms back then.

Remember the demise of AW3 and the transition to AH beta? I started at beta 3. AW was, for my time on AWAOL, free. When AH went pay per month it cost $30 per. We heard stories of $500+ bills on AW Genie so $30 per month seemed reasonable considering we were supporting a new fledgling online game that we had faith in since the creator was a player. Corporate BS be damned!

Remember when that guy with CPID of a airplane is climbing a mountain with a heavy P-47 and you dive in from a 4k advantage in a Typhoon and he barrel rolls and is able to shoot yo butt down as you try to go vertical? Yeah, I did learn something that day.

Remember when you had to quit AH because of heart problems and the Adrenalin rush you get from a good dogfight? I do...but I can still remember when Whels stole a base capture from me by shooting one of my troops in our M-3s while capturing and winning the scenario 'The Battle of Kursk' way back when... (S) Whels you are missed.

I'll be back, and beware of a buff hunting Bf 110G-2!

(S) Earl 'Dutch' Miller, proud to have flown with you virtually for a time.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 01:03:34 AM by GottaAHJones »

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
Re: Remember when...
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 11:04:41 AM »
I remember Ruaml always lurked above  us in a FW, not sure if it's the same guy. He flew Bz a lot. I was almost always Cz. Ahhhhh memories......
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline Hungry

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 11:44:25 AM »
Zazen
"I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a Hamburger today"

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 11:56:42 AM »
Zazen

Heh, haven't heard that name in several blue moons.....
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 04:01:42 PM »
remember when the muppets used to have threads pages long discussing pointless stuff.     :D
The Few ***
F.P.H

Online Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 05:45:22 PM »
remember when the muppets used to have threads pages long discussing pointless stuff.

I think the Muppets and the Blue Knights developed carpal tunnel syndrome from holding their mirrors while admiring themselves.  Now they can't manipulate their CH products.

- oldman

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2018, 07:44:43 PM »
remember when the muppets used to have threads pages long discussing pointless stuff.     :D

look at my signature, lol

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2018, 11:32:11 PM »
Mmm P47s  :devil.

Same path here. Fully tuned B17s in AW3 were called Deathstars too. Couldn't do much with P47 in AW but in here it was a match made in heaven. You get so harassed as the easy kill that she teaches you evasives. To the point I feel in control only when someone dives in my 6.

AH was a big chunk of my life, will always have a special place in my heart.

:salute to my online brothers in arms.
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2018, 03:05:53 AM »
I remember when there were no mosquitoes in AH. So I flew mostly F6Fs and P47s my other favorites (and everything else is far far behind). I was a noob and sucked big time. Not getting killed was the best I was hoping for, but I was flying WWII fighters! online! against other players! Today this sounds silly, but back in 2001 this was huge and new! ... expensive too - 20$ subscription and regular per minute phone tarifs, using a 33,600 bps modem :)

Then Frenchy posted a recording of him in P47D30 fighting defensively against a 109G10 (the model names are not a typo). I reviwed that film for dosens of times - and it worked! I did not suck as bad anymore and could throw a P47 into a dogfight and hope to win!
BTW, thanks Frenchy! :D

Then AH2 came and a mosquito came with it! Oh joy! ... except that she was bugged by a misplaced weight distribution and was extremely unstable. It only took 6 years to get HTC to fix that and now our Mossie VI is a fine fine princess.   :aok

So thank you HTC for 17 years of gaming. You've ruined every other game for me you bastages  :P
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2018, 03:36:00 AM »
I used to meet one of my squaddies (Eagl7) in AW at 6:00 AM nearly every morning to jump into a B-17 and go milk run the CZ Spit factory.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2018, 10:42:37 AM »
Aw I made a difference in someone's life <3.  :cheers: Boson. 4 canons, unobstructed view for reflection shooting, good power and your killer self behind the yoke ... can't give you an inch for sure  :salute
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline kappa

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2018, 01:15:16 PM »

hummm.. Muppets mentioned in 3 of the first 5 post.. thanks! 8)
- TWBYDHAS

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2018, 01:23:33 PM »
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline GottaAHJones

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2018, 12:42:32 AM »
Zazen

Yep, that was him. You always had to check up high before a turn fight. He cursed out more than once for face shooting him.

Offline GottaAHJones

• Zinc Member
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2018, 12:51:22 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

LOL...I KNOW you have numerous stories about hanging on your props in your 38 in AW and AH...I learned many things from you way back when!