Author Topic: Question about an in game feature  (Read 3254 times)

Offline MAILMAN

• Zinc Member
Question about an in game feature
« on: April 21, 2018, 04:10:19 PM »
I rarely come to the boards to read, let alone post for good reason but I can't find an answer to my question.  This may not be the proper environment and if not I hope one of the administrators will direct me to where I should post it or move the post to the proper location.

I keep reading that if a player objects to receiving communications from another player while playing on line then he/she should just "squelch" the offender.  This is all well and good, but only works for the current session.  I haven't played in a few months (video card quit with no replacement available) so I don't know if this feature has changed.

I wonder why the option is not available to permanently "squelch" a player or "squelch" a player until you choose to "unsquelch" the player?  Why do you have to choose to "squelch" the same player that you do not want to receive any communications from every time you log into the game?

For the record I do not tune to ch. 200 so that isn't the problem.  The problem is getting miserable PM's from a player or all of his/her cronies after shooting them down in a manner which did not suit their parameter. 
-)-MAILMAN-

Offline TWCAxew

• Silver Member
Re: Question about an in game feature
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 04:21:48 PM »
The problem is getting miserable PM's from a player or all of his/her cronies after shooting them down in a manner which did not suit their.

This is considered abuse and should be emailed to HTC. They will deal with there behavior accordingly.

I hope you still enjoy the game non the less. <S>

DutchVII
DutchVII / ULDutch
~~2019 KOTH/TOC Champion~~
https://ahevents.net/index.php/events/scenarios/about-scenarios
4 time scenario C.O. ~ As dew appears, As dew Vanishes, Such is my life, Everything in this world, Is but a dream within a dream.

Offline MAILMAN

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 05:39:23 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion, however I am fully aware of what I am supposed to do to with what I feel is an abuser.

Unfortunately, I read a thread earlier today where the OP asked a legitimate question, the flamers who didn't agree flamed and called him a troll and the owner of the game eventually chimed in and said the OP was trolling.  I don't agree with that assessment, but that tone speaks volumes on how his vision of the game should be. Therefore, unfortunately, I have no confidence that reporting someone will ever do much.  Too many repeat offenders over the years with no real deterrent, but I digress from the purpose of my post.

So for more than a decade I start each and every session by checking the roster and going down the list and choosing to "squelch" particular players that I don't want to ever read or hear from (both enemy and friendly) before I even choose an airfield.  I add additional "squelched' players as I notice them joining the game.  I would just like to be provided the choice to "squelch" an ID one time and not worry about having to do it each and every session.  I don't think it is asking too much or out of line making a request for this option and have the game remember that choice.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 05:42:14 PM by MAILMAN »
-)-MAILMAN-

Offline 1ijac

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 05:45:54 PM »
I believe if you are looking for the correct spot in the forum for a request to change the squelch feature, then the wishlist forum is a good place.
"One-Eye"

Offline jimbo71

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2018, 06:01:34 PM »
For $129 I can use their IP address to track their location, drive there then stand uncomfortably close to their wife at Walmart while wearing gray sweat pants.
xxxJCxxx

Skill, Altitude, Airspeed: You need 2 out of 3...

Offline MAILMAN

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2018, 06:30:58 PM »
I believe if you are looking for the correct spot in the forum for a request to change the squelch feature, then the wishlist forum is a good place.
Thanks.

Found the forum and posted there.  Now let's see/hope it will get read and implemented.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 06:52:06 PM by MAILMAN »
-)-MAILMAN-

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2018, 06:52:42 PM »
IIRC, the reason why we don't have a permanent squelch list isn't to give each side to "mend fences" as suggested by some posts in this thread but because of the possibility of an innocent player being permanently squelched.

For example, Player A is put on someone's permanent squelch list and then Player A quits the game.  Now, along comes new Player B that happens to select old Player A's handle and is automatically permanently squelched because the original Player A was put on someone's permanent squelch list.  That is why HiTech has not implemented a permanent squelch option to the game.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2018, 06:54:37 PM »
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2018, 06:55:38 PM »

Unfortunately, I read a thread earlier today where the OP asked a legitimate question, the flamers who didn't agree flamed and called him a troll and the owner of the game eventually chimed in and said the OP was trolling.  I don't agree with that assessment, but that tone speaks volumes on how his vision of the game should be.

Dead man typing.

He was trolling.

IBTL.
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline mERv

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2018, 08:49:51 PM »
Dead man typing.

He was trolling.

IBTL.

GEET him boss :cheers:
"Its no problem to be the best, but to be so much better than the best is going to bring accusations." Haggarty
"Ever wonder why its always b-17s and B-24s. It allows him an extreme advantage over other players hence his bomber kill count, that and his lazer beam guns." Diaster

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2018, 12:07:15 AM »

Just an observation.   :salute
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2018, 12:52:44 AM »
One thread wasn't enough for you?

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,392720.0.html

IBTL.

Vracui,  if you would take the time to look at the time stamps of this initial post , then the thread he started /moved to in the Wish List forum after  TWCAxew (DutchVII) pointed MLM toward the wish list forum advising him that MLM might be better off served asking his question there instead of the general discussion forum......

Dead man typing.

He was trolling.

IBTL.

LOL, looks like you've got you a new A.H.,  "boss"....rofl     

in any case, hitech viewed a person's post as a "troll".....   that is just how he saw it..........he answered the question and ended up having to lock the thread because of all the others wanting to put their 2 cents worth in by hollering Troll or by saying that in all honesty they did not see or look at the person typing the thread as a person who would do such a thing.......

matters like this should just be left between the 2 individual groups it involves

The Thread Poster / Question asker and HTC Admin.

I for one don't see it as "Dead Man typing"  nor  "He was trolling".......   regardless if we are referring to mutha-  or  -MLM- ( MAILMAN ,  -)-MAILMAN- ).... seeings how they are the same caliber people as SB, NB, Coach, Ack-Ack, Hajo, Max, Rapier, Claymore, Wraithe, Nefarious, Guppy/CorkyJr, Brooke, Arlo, etc, etc........

side note for MLM:  MAILMAN,send a PM  or email or phone call and talk with HTC ( HiTech and Skuzzy )

~S~

TC

"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2018, 05:08:47 AM »
I have reported you all :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2018, 06:02:33 AM »
The proper way to deal with an abusive player is to;

1)  Use the .report mechanism to report the player.  It records the text buffer so we can review it.  If it is via a PM, then dropping us a line (email, PM on the bulletin board, or phone call) to alert us to the situation.

2)  Use the .squelch to prevent the player further abusing you.

3)  Never confront the abusive player.  Never.  You will be wrong no matter what rationalization you use.

There are many ways for an abusive player to get around "permanent" squelch lists.  If the player is habitually abusive then removing the player from the game is our option.  It is much more effective than trying to cover up someone who is habitually abusive.

By not making it permanent we get to see how many times a player is being abusive, if the community uses the tools provided to it.

We (HTC) have more effective tools to use against habitually abusive players if it is needed.  By hiding a player behind a permanent squelch list, you have simply made him move to another victim.  You have not solved the real problem, you have simply masked it from yourself, and made someone else a target for abuse.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 06:23:16 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2018, 09:30:28 AM »
+1

Majority of people in game dont like harsh abuse and would make it clear to the offender.

If the offender is a oddball i would rather know and could not care less.

If you cannot deal with it in cartoon land you need to harden up and use the mechanisms to cut of thier means of abuse.

Leaving is everyone’s choice, if you do leave the offenders will have won.
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario