Author Topic: Would a reverse crater be playable?  (Read 1567 times)

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
Would a reverse crater be playable?
« on: June 03, 2018, 08:11:51 PM »
Center of the map, instead of tanking in an open crater, tanking would be channeled along a circular valley, with one or two GV bases per country spaced along the valley floor.

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943.  Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
Re: Would a reverse crater be playable?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 11:29:51 PM »
Something new.

I like it. I hope HiTech does as well.

:salute
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Offline Dundee

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 12:50:58 PM »
Plenty of giant hills to contain the GV's, I give up. Hey make a map that contains and restrains aircraft to a particular sector and see how that fly's

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 01:15:45 PM »
This is going into an AvA terrain to play around with and see how they (and the berms) work, and how the new V85 Spawn area works.  I don't think restraining aircraft is possible.  The most that could be done is making GV bases somewhat remote, like 135/136 on Ozkansas.

Also, we had these types of valleys on the Beta2 map, and there was always a steady fight going on in them, even with the occasional aircraft.

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943.  Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 03:50:58 PM »
I am glad you are giving the terrain building your best effort. The gv'ers sure miss those berms.

We all want a map that keeps the dogfighters, cv'ers, bombers, and gv'ers happy (the pt boaters too).....and oh yeah....

those guys that live in the manned guns.......... We want them happy too.  :D

The small to medium size maps seem to work the best with the current numbers, and good maps will get new players to stay. :aok

<S>

Offline ONTOS

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 04:50:48 PM »
I'm having vision's of Trinity, Trinity, TRINITY, bring back TRINITY!

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 04:54:21 PM »
Does anyone have an image file of what the Trinity map looked like?  I think it was before my time.

Offline 1ijac

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2018, 12:55:12 PM »
I have the old AH still on my computer with the Trinity map Jinx.  It is a rather large map.  You can PM me your e-mail addy and I can try to send you what you would like.

One-eye
"One-Eye"

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2018, 01:56:15 AM »
I'm having vision's of Trinity, Trinity, TRINITY, bring back TRINITY!
if they brought that map I would be giggling like a little girl all night.. You would see allot more side switching just so be able to gv that map
"scott66"        
 XO ThunderHorse Squadron.    

"This place is a psychologist's wet dream".... FishBait

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2018, 10:39:08 AM »
The most side switching map of AH by far.  :D
Players used to fight over berms at the 134 spawns  :furious :furious.....who was there first.  :rofl

:salute

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2018, 11:36:41 AM »
Players used to fight over berms at the 134 spawns  :furious :furious.....who was there first.  :rofl

But the terrain would probably quite different now. Just thinks what happened other similar places on maps that are still left.

And there's a lot of wishful thinking and somewhat selective memory about Trinity in this thread.
It was a huge map with many issues once the population got lower. In fact, it was retired back in 2012 when with sinking numbers the issues became more significant. And AH has now just about one third of players online compared to when Trinity was retired.

You won't magically get your 2005 experience back just because the map comes back. Actually, when it came back from retirement the first time in 2006/07, parts of the map (TT) already didn't work anymore.

The past will not come back.
Steam: DrKalv
Elite:Dangerous: Snailman

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2018, 12:26:40 PM »
But the terrain would probably quite different now. Just thinks what happened other similar places on maps that are still left.

And there's a lot of wishful thinking and somewhat selective memory about Trinity in this thread.
It was a huge map with many issues once the population got lower. In fact, it was retired back in 2012 when with sinking numbers the issues became more significant. And AH has now just about one third of players online compared to when Trinity was retired.

You won't magically get your 2005 experience back just because the map comes back. Actually, when it came back from retirement the first time in 2006/07, parts of the map (TT) already didn't work anymore.

The past will not come back.
our personal experience and memory of the map may not be the same as yours but that doesn't make it selective or wishful thinking.. It is not for you to get to decide or change how we felt about that map
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 01:11:46 PM by scott66 »
"scott66"        
 XO ThunderHorse Squadron.    

"This place is a psychologist's wet dream".... FishBait

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2018, 05:07:51 PM »
our personal experience and memory of the map may not be the same as yours but that doesn't make it selective or wishful thinking.. It is not for you to get to decide or change how we felt about that map

You may feel that the map was good, but the fact that it was removed from rotation proves that the map was bad.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2018, 07:45:41 PM »

nobody is knocking your memories or love of the map.  However what you think would happen if the map came back is wrong. Case in point, Crater map. It use to be the biggest tank map and now it is the worst tanking map.

Offline ONTOS

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2018, 08:30:00 PM »
The Crater map in AH III (too many trees) is different form the one in AH II. The Trinity map, I believe was popular, because so many complained when they removed it.