Author Topic: Would a reverse crater be playable?  (Read 1566 times)

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
Re: Would a reverse crater be playable?
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2018, 08:37:12 PM »
If 8thjinx can create berms with the new trrain editor we will be able to have spawn battles similar to the ones we had in Trinity(AH2) at  A1 and v134, TT on the center Island of NDisle(AH2), Crater(AH2) in the center, and at v85(AH2) from a terrain that name escapes me at the moment. He can place spawns close together for instant action. You will see players switching sides when his map comes up. Build it they will come.   :aok
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2018, 11:01:20 PM »
The stuff I'm working up is just ridiculously fun terrain to tank in.  Unfortunately it takes a lot of time to get the modeling right so it doesn't tax frame rate.  In fact the easiest part is coming up with the actual new idea for a land object.  The berms already work.  For land, though, it literally takes less than a half hour to get a 4 mile square terrain object, complete with natural looking hills and valleys, into AC3D.  (I use Terrain.Party, and pick terrain that I know from real life that would be interesting to game in.)  And AC3D is the final step before loading it into the Object and Terrain Editors.  Unfortunately it's taking me weeks in that final step.  Best way I can describe the actual effort is imagine building a giant Lego model from a set of instructions, then breaking it apart to group everything by color, assigning a number to the groups, and then re-assembling the model again in reverse order of the instructions.  It's straightforward, and it's definitely flyable, but it's extremely time consuming.  And you have to have a plan.  You can't wing that part. 

So far, the list of stuff I'm working on is (in no order):

The Remagen Bridge land objects
The 85 Spawn from Compbello
The Crater
The 26 hillside spawn from Montis
The 34 valley spawn from Montis
The 63 spawn area from Compbello
The 52 spawn area from Compbello
The valleys from Beta2
The original layout of the NDisles center island
The Ozkansas 135/136 spawn valley (with the two hills at opposite ends)
Plus whatever I can glean from Trinity, but I never played it so I don't have the map files.

These will be generic spawns that can be modified somewhat with the terrain sets, so they won't all look the same.

By the way, does anyone still have the terrain resource files for Trinity?  I still have AH2 on my old laptop.

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943.  Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline 1ijac

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2018, 01:41:59 AM »
Jinx,  I do and I just need you to PM me your e-mail addy if you want the Trinity files from the terrain folder of AHII.

Your idea sounds great!

One-eye
"One-Eye"

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2018, 08:14:39 AM »
Email addy sent.  Thanks!

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943.  Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2018, 04:27:02 PM »
nobody is knocking your memories or love of the map.  However what you think would happen if the map came back is wrong. Case in point, Crater map. It use to be the biggest tank map and now it is the worst tanking map.
if I really wanted that map back I would put it in the wish thread..I just stated I would be happy if they brought it back
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 04:31:20 PM by scott66 »
"scott66"        
 XO ThunderHorse Squadron.    

"This place is a psychologist's wet dream".... FishBait

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2018, 04:54:13 PM »
if I really wanted that map back I would put it in the wish thread..I just stated I would be happy if they brought it back

Hey how is the paper towel business?   :neener:
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2018, 08:13:21 PM »
nobody is knocking your memories or love of the map.  However what you think would happen if the map came back is wrong. Case in point, Crater map. It use to be the biggest tank map and now it is the worst tanking map.

The only reason it's the worst tank map is that the terrain is different.  That is easily fixed.

Offline MajWoody

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2018, 08:44:16 PM »
What if the map were shrunk, and or compressed?
Lets keep the stupid to a minimum.
Old Age and Treachery, will overcome youth and skill EVERYTIME

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2018, 01:42:36 AM »
Hey how is the paper towel business?   :neener:
gave that up for a tissue business lol :aok
"scott66"        
 XO ThunderHorse Squadron.    

"This place is a psychologist's wet dream".... FishBait

Offline Dundee

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2018, 09:39:11 AM »
You may feel that the map was good, but the fact that it was removed from rotation proves that the map was bad.

All it proves us there is not enough players to fill the map.....the reason the Fester map has not been up or the Big Island map

Offline Dundee

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2018, 10:04:23 AM »

It was a good map when you could get your tank up the hills......but they have taken that out