Author Topic: film viewer  (Read 796 times)

Offline Clueso

• Zinc Member
film viewer
« on: June 09, 2018, 07:48:04 PM »
I'm trying to cut down a film from 30 minutes to 5 minutes.  I've tried finding instructions.  I've experimented.  So far no joy. I tried to save it as an avi.  No kb of data in the file.   Any info would be great.
Abbott

Offline asterix

• Nickel Member
Re: film viewer
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 03:17:40 AM »
Not an expert but there I have used mostly two ways to cut down video.

One is "start select" and "end select" and "copy selection" in upper right corner and it creates another file in AH film directory. When creating an AVI I use Cinepak codec by Radius and 100% compression quality.

The other is "set up camera shots" Most important thing here is not to have save as AVI box ticked when doing certain changes because it immediately crashes. Changing from fixed view setting to other view (external for example) without closing film viewer made the AVI all messed up too. Again Cinepak codec by Radius and 100% compression quality. watched this tutorial about set up camera shots: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8uY6m1d2Zs&t=5s.

Both methods may lose some graphics detail or have weird anomalies. When doing some view changes etc it is sometimes better to restart the film viewer, I do this a lot when editing. I had a lot of bugs and crashes when I started to use it but found many workarounds to different issues to get the result I wanted. Needs some experimenting to get the best result with your computer, I assume it is easier with more powerful machine than mine.
Win 7 Pro 64, AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3,0 GHz, Asus M2N mobo, refurbished Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 GV-N960IXOC-2GD 2GB, Corsair XMS2 4x2GB 800MHz DDR2, Seagate BarraCuda 7200.10 ST3160815AS 160GB 7200 RPM HDD, Thermaltake Smart 430W

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 07:16:17 AM »
When you save to AVI use the multi file option, otherwise the file sizes are too big.  AVI does not record sound so record that separately. Use a film editor to put the files back together.

If you don't want to use AVI and don't have a film editor you can use a program like Fraps to record the 5 min film selection when you play the film segment in the film viewer.

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2018, 10:00:03 AM »
I'm trying to cut down a film from 30 minutes to 5 minutes.  I've tried finding instructions.  I've experimented.  So far no joy. I tried to save it as an avi.  No kb of data in the file.   Any info would be great.
Abbott

What I do is to use Film Viewer to do the primary edit and cut the original down into 5, 10 and 15 second shots.  I use Fraps to further edit those shots and create head movements  with first person and third person points of view,  Lastly I save my work out of Fraps as AVI and feed that to Microsoft Movie Maker for the final cut with pre and post production, Music, Titles, Logos and credits.  I post them on YouTube, You can only use clips, music in your production  that is consider public domain to get by the YouTube censor.  Everything is family friendly.  Check out my Squads WIKI page, (link in my signature) and enjoy the films and videos.  Good Luck.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes