Author Topic: Fighter Dots Beyond Range Icon Not Rendering  (Read 3749 times)

Offline Odee

• Gold Member
      • 49th Fighter Group
Fighter Dots Beyond Range Icon Not Rendering
« on: June 17, 2018, 08:42:15 AM »
When any fighter gets beyond the icon range, their dot vanishes from my screen.  All AH3 settings are maxed, and yes, I have lowered and disabled various ones to test the rendering software side of the game, to know affect.

System resolution is 1024, on a 3 year old 27" ViewSonic VX2757 monitor, and GTX-1070 video card.
The only thing changed, is I use my old HP-w22 LCD as a 2nd monitor and run in 'extended view', but AH is only on the main ViewSonic one.

Anyone that can help me resolve this, will earn my undying respect, and gratitude.   :salute
~Nobodee~   Get Poached!
Elite: Dangerous ~ Cmd Odeed

http://www.luxlibertas.com/

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Fighter Dots Beyond Range Icon Not Rendering
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 10:24:21 AM »
turn off your anti-aliasing in game. The added "fuzz" around the dot may be making it harder to see the dot.

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 12:06:25 PM »
Why should we have to disable game features to make others work?

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 12:22:08 PM »
Why should we have to disable game features to make others work?

Coogan

You dont have, but it does make it easier to see the dots. Just like you dont have to turn off shadows, but if you find yourself diving on your own shadow a lot you might want to turn them off. The same goes for the lighting. With it off GVs are easy to see, with it on not so much.

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 12:50:54 PM »
You dont have, but it does make it easier to see the dots. Just like you dont have to turn off shadows, but if you find yourself diving on your own shadow a lot you might want to turn them off. The same goes for the lighting. With it off GVs are easy to see, with it on not so much.

Sounds like the game needs a little tweaking to me then.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2018, 12:54:47 PM »
Sounds like the game needs a little tweaking to me then.

Coogan

No, think of the game as portraying "reality", turning off anti-aliasing and other adjustments as "tweaking" that reality. You can spend the afternoon walking around outside squinting in the sun or you can wear a pair of sunglasses. Its just another adjustment.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2018, 01:00:34 PM »
Odee, what do you mean by having system resolution as 1024? I hope it's not inherited from the HP-w22 since the image proportions are different. The ViewSonic is a fullHD wide screen monitor @ 1920x1080 whereas the HP is natively 1680x1050. Dropping your resolution may cause anomalies since there's no way to split single pixels. Agreed, it makes things bigger on your screen. However, if you think the resolution as light bulbs, you can't light a fraction of a bulb. Same with pixels, so if you change your resolution to other than 1:1 ratio you'd be trying to see fractions of pixels, or partially lit light bulbs. Since they're either on or off, 0.5 is the threshold or divider telling how to draw those pixels. In a way it acts similarly to anti-aliasing, showing one pixel as is and another right beside it as a blend of the line and the surrounding colour.

On modern screens the pixel size can be so small that blurring diagonal lines no longer serves its purpose and as Fugi said, it can even make things vanish into the background.

@Coogan, Anti-aliasing isn't a feature of the game, it's a gimmick provided by the video card to fool your eyes. Instead of making you see things better it blurs them to make the overall image look better. Just as a few drinks makes women look prettier.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2018, 03:29:12 PM »
ALSO,if monitor connects via HDMI plug.SOME graphics cards(Nvidia being one of them) may think it is a TV connected. This makes Nvidia card to use a "LIMITED" color pallet. Should be "FULL" color pallet. Bustr pointed this out to me when AH3 eas in open testing,and things were dull,color wise(washed out) and CON DOTS were hard to see(also some details like ammo bunkers and guns) at distance :rock
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2018, 03:31:42 PM »

@Coogan, Anti-aliasing isn't a feature of the game, it's a gimmick provided by the video card to fool your eyes. Instead of making you see things better it blurs them to make the overall image look better. Just as a few drinks makes women look prettier.

Why is it there an option for it in the game then?  Just remove it and the 'gimmicks'

Coogan
Game Id's:

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2018, 03:44:25 PM »
Its a personal preference. Some monitors and systems handle little effects differently. Like Bi-Focals or Contacts and Reader glasses. To each their own. Its of little consequence to game play ability. Its  just garnish, not main course.
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Odee

• Gold Member
      • 49th Fighter Group
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2018, 10:53:36 PM »
turn off your anti-aliasing in game. The added "fuzz" around the dot may be making it harder to see the dot.

Funny thing is, the white fuzz around the dot helped me see it briefly.   :headscratch:
~Nobodee~   Get Poached!

Offline Odee

• Gold Member
      • 49th Fighter Group
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2018, 10:57:13 PM »
Odee, what do you mean by having system resolution as 1024? ...

I meant 1680x1050 on the Viewsonic.  It carries over to the HP, which I'm considering poop canning, and getting a duplicate of the main to avoid the conflicts you mentioned.
 :salute

Would playing in Full Window mode have any affect, or should I just try and go for that 1:1 ratio?  Good grief, I don't even know how to go about getting the monitor into 1:1

Okay, so I went in Offline, and turned MOBA on. on the monitor settings and can see dots.  The Alias haze is there, regardless whether or not it's turned off in game itself, and the game looks like kaka in that mode to me.  Way too bright gama, and instrument display changed just enough that I have to squint to see the dials.  So I guess, a bandaid, is better than nothing.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 11:17:02 PM by Odee »
~Nobodee~   Get Poached!

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2018, 11:59:02 PM »
1680x1050 the Native resolution for monitor? Most are 1920x1080 is native for that model...just wondering. That could cause a problem :rock Pretty sure AH3 ONLY plays in full window..then again I am no expert

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2018, 01:31:20 AM »
Why is it there an option for it in the game then?  Just remove it and the 'gimmicks'

Coogan
That's because not everyone can afford a high end monitor. Or, they use a 60" TV as a monitor, where a single pixel is almost the size of your fingertip making every slanted line jagged.

And because some people really want the image to look smooth rather than crisp, accepting that they'd potentially miss some details and speed. Maxxing every slider can slow down the game to a slide show but it's great for screenshots, for example.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Odee

• Gold Member
      • 49th Fighter Group
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2018, 12:25:56 PM »
 :x 60" monitors?  Despite my basement could hold one, but my God, it would be like sitting at a desk in front of drive-in theater for pity sake!  Yes my video card can go 1920x1080, but to what point when it's only a 27" ???

I wonder if Skuzzy and crew have had similar concerns from other players?  Would be nice to see the addition of a Resolution selection button like most other games have.   :old:
~Nobodee~   Get Poached!