Author Topic: Question for CM's - Side Balancing  (Read 2323 times)

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Question for CM's - Side Balancing
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2001, 07:18:00 PM »
Ain't it amazing the number of people that squeak about a Historical Arena, and the number of AWers who waltezed into the BBS and proclaimed their greatness and how they'd show us its done.

Yet when it comes to the crunch the HA junkies don't show up en masse to the ToD, and very few of the AW guys have come to ToD.

My god ToD is what you practise in the MA for.

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2001, 07:21:00 PM »
Yep it's true Vulcan, and sad.  I can only guess that they have trouble with the day/time of the event?  For example, I have trouble getting 3-4 guys for the current time.  For Saturday afternoon I could get 10-12.

Offline ghostdancer

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2001, 06:58:00 AM »
Actually Vulcan you already do have a bunch of AW guys in TOD ... the Nightmares VMF-101. About half of my guys that fly in TOD are from our now defunct AW branch (VMF-898).  :)

But truthfully you are right there are a bunch of AW guys who spouted off who have yet to make it over here. But don't judge all the AW refugees by that I know several other squads who are interested in TOD but just don't feel comfortable enough yet in AH to commit to it. They are buys learning the ropes, finishing transitioning their memembers over here, and settling in.

Once that is done I expect to see more over here.
X.O. 29th TFT, "We Move Mountains"
CM Terrain Team

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2001, 07:32:00 AM »
hell, I think most of AH is some sort of AW refugee, whether is be Genie from 1990, or lately... :)

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2001, 07:59:00 AM »
I am not worried about numbers, but I know balance can be difficult when squads don't show up. Also we have lost a couple of squads, but by far we have seen growth since the first months of sign up's. Take a peek.  :)

July - 11 Squads
Aug - 2 Squads
Sept - 0 Squads
Oct - 2 Squads
Nov - 4 Squads

I already know of one more we will add for Dec. That will bring us to 20 squads in the TOD. Doubled our size in 4/5 months. We will lose some to the Saturday TOD, but honestly I think both events will just keep growing in squads and numbers.

Off to work...

<S>
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline AN

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2001, 08:33:00 AM »
Originally posted by Vulcan:
--------------------------------------------
.....and the number of AWers who waltezed into the BBS and proclaimed their greatness and how they'd show us its done.

Yet when it comes to the crunch the HA junkies don't show up en masse to the ToD, and very few of the AW guys have come to ToD.
--------------------------------------------

I agree :/

FWIW, I've been posting in Bigweek (the newsgroup) about the ToDs semi-regularly, trying to drum up some interest, and have gotten very little response.  :(

~sigh~

anRky

Offline AN

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2001, 09:38:00 AM »
BTW, Ghost Dancer, I meant to reply to you 'over there', but I lost the post.  Anyway, I'm pretty sure it was you in that pic.

I still don't know how the three of us kept from shooting *each other* down.  :)

anRky

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2001, 09:41:00 AM »
"FWIW, I've been posting in Bigweek (the newsgroup) about the ToDs semi-regularly, trying to drum up some interest, and have gotten very little response. "

And yet WW and BW (the scenario) *have* got good responses.

Why the difference? (honest question)

Offline AN

• Copper Member
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2001, 10:40:00 AM »
Seeker:
----------------------------------------
And yet WW and BW (the scenario) *have* got good responses.

Why the difference? (honest question)
---------------------------------------

Ok, what's different about the events?

Euro friendly:
 TOD isn't.
 WW isn't.
 BW is.

Historic:
 TOD is.
 WW isn't.
 BW is.

Signup:
 TOD - Squad signup, no walkons, anyone can fly if they simply send and e-mail or two.
 WW - No signup, anyone can fly.
 BW - Individual signup, walkon signup, can only fly if you're signed up.

Frame duration:
 TOD - 1 1/2 or 2 hours (not sure, lol)
 WW - 1 1/2 hours.
 BW - 4 hours (two 2-hour frames, back to back)

Any others?

anRky

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2001, 11:25:00 AM »
From your analysys it's niether the timing not the historical aspect.

Maybe it's the squad thing?

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2001, 01:12:00 PM »
Friday Night

Offline sling322

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2001, 01:23:00 PM »
Seeker, while the TOD is set up to be a squad event, it does not require you to be "in" a squad in the MA to fly in it.  Just about every squad in the TOD accepts guest and will allow you to fly with them and it wont affect your MA squad affiliation, or lack thereof.  

I have seen several posts that mentioned the fact that the TOD does not allow for individuals to fly and in that way it is too exclusive, but that is simply not the case.  I wish more people would realize this fact and at least try flying in it once.

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2001, 09:09:00 PM »
Thanks, Sling, I'm quite unclear about this squad guest buisness.

Could perhaps a short explanation of how some goes about it be put on the TOD website? It may be what's holding some people back?

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2001, 09:35:00 PM »
At the bottom of the main TOD page you will find this.

Though individuals are welcome, walkons are not allowed until they sign up with a squad as a guest whose C.O. must approve. Once we have the initial list of participating squads, individuals will be directed to a page listing the Squads, C.O.'s, and a way to contact them requesting a guest status.

Just to the left of that is a list of all the squads in the TOD. http://events.simladder.com/tod.php

Per your request I will change the wording and make it more clear, but it has been on the page all along. Inherent with events like the TOD there is a lot material to read and most don't read it cover to cover.
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2001, 05:52:00 AM »
To be quite honest I'm a bit concerned about BW. There isn't the same level of organisation that there is with ToD. IMHO comparing scenario experience with ToD... all scenario's should be modelled on the ToD with regard to squad organisation.

Hell I haven't even heard from my BW CO yet  :(

And the AW thing was a generalisation, note that I also included the squeakin-AH-HA mob with that crowd of no shows.

Kudos to the ToD organisers, its the MOST fun I've had in AH including Afrika Korps and Hostile Shores. I believe its because the squad structure results in a more organised chaos. PLUS the rotation between aircraft (ie fighters, bombers, fighters) gives everyone a fair crack.

ToD is what BW should be.