Author Topic: The planes you didn't knew you liked.  (Read 1470 times)

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
The planes you didn't knew you liked.
« on: July 06, 2018, 05:12:56 AM »
If you are tired of your regular LW monster there are plenty of other fun planes to fly. For ex:
I-16 type 24 - Yes its an I-16 and yes its weird to prefer 2x .30 instead of 2x 20 mm but there are some upsides w the .30:s. First of all are they significantly lighter than the cannons and they also have an insane rate of fire, 1800 rpm each... This means that together with the cowling guns you can pop away 90 rounds per second and that makes them surprisingly dangerous. you also have 30 seconds of firing time for all guns so you have plenty of ammo.

Ju-87D Awfully slow and vulnerable but it can carry a lot of ords. 2300kg, which is more than most twin engine bombers. its the only single engine plane capable of killing a cruiser (afaik). I however prefer to leave the 1800 kg nuke and use the 1000kg GP or AP instead, the AP bomb can kill a hangar if you drop it through the roof. This means that you still have 2 x 250kg left for gvs or bunkers. Its also good for gv hunting, just use the 500kg plus 2x 250kg. Its especially effective in a "wild weasel" role, fly at 5000 ft agl and let the wirbles open up on you and give away their position, then just do a spiral dive and drop an egg in their head. You will win that duel 80 % of the time.

Tu-2 - ok everyone flies the Tu but not as a long range bomber. If you go with just the 9x100 kg internal bomb load you are not only outclimbing and outrunning the Ki-67, you can also go just as high and almost as far so hitting factories deep within enemy territory isnt a problem. You can also, if you want, drop your drones and dogfight anything that come after you. light and at 25k most interceptors will have a hard time to turn with you.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline Dundee

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
Re: The planes you didn't knew you liked.
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 10:06:15 AM »
The TU2's have been a favorite of mine for some time....the load out of 3 1,000 kg bombs will drop a AAA strat by 30% and if you play the winds right this plane Xfills at a good rate of speed

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 10:30:40 AM »
The 9x100kg will knock AAA down 25-30% as well so i prefer them, 2100kg lighter and no drag from the external bombs is well worth it.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 10:43:08 AM »
The tu2 is a monster since day 1. Can even Wf a town or kill 4 hangars.

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2018, 10:53:06 AM »
Indeed, as a tactical bomber it's prob the best and its really useful for base taking or against Cv:s. I just wanted to show that the Tu also is useful as a strategic long range bomber as a substitute for the Ki-67. Against factories its often enough to use a twin engine bomber and it take a lot less time than with the heavy bombers.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2018, 12:40:51 PM »
The TU2's have been a favorite of mine for some time....the load out of 3 1,000 kg bombs will drop a AAA strat by 30% and if you play the winds right this plane Xfills at a good rate of speed

The problem with the 3x1000kg loadout is that the tu2 will sometimes switch your ord selection when you change positions from pilot to gunner and back..........and you won't know it until you try to drop the external bombs (which you selected early on in your flight) and get a "doors not open" message.   

If you choose the 2x1000kg external and the 2x500kg internal, you get the benefit to easily seeing the readout saying 500 when internal stores are selected.

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 03:27:42 AM »
SBD

Yes it is ssslllooowww, no wep, only 2 0.5 mgs with low ammo count, and it suffers from worse yaw than a sand crab - but man you are so much cooler than everyone else!
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 04:17:49 AM »
Noone can argue with that. You are going to die, but you will look awesome while you're doing it.

Offline TWCAxew

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2018, 04:38:00 AM »
Shhhhhh Zimme!! Dont let ppl know the I-16 type 24 is actually the most under under rated plane in the game!! Its much better than some would think it is. If you ever want to laugh your butt off you should fly this plane and with a little aiming skill those guns will just blow up a F4U.

DutchVII
DutchVII / ULDutch
~~2019 KOTH/TOC Champion~~
https://ahevents.net/index.php/events/scenarios/about-scenarios
4 time scenario C.O. ~ As dew appears, As dew Vanishes, Such is my life, Everything in this world, Is but a dream within a dream.

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2018, 05:07:04 AM »
Its not spanzookas but its surprising how effective they are given that there are only 4 of them. And as a bonus your opponent will hear the pings for 10 minutes after he dies..

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2018, 09:06:53 PM »
I used to take the I16 up over 30k where I thought some high B29s were going to return home in the chance I could make a single pass with the cannons head on but never got more than a proxy.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2018, 12:38:18 AM »
Until I flew it in a scenario (Enemy Coast Ahead), I didn't know that I liked the 190A.  I only flew it there because I thought it would get creamed.  Instead, I saw how excellent it was against historical foes.

Until I flew it in a scenario (Southern Conquest), I thought a 110 would be cannon fodder in a high-alt scenario with P-51's, P-38's, and B-24's.  Instead, it held up OK, surprising me.

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2018, 01:22:30 AM »
HO'ing flying a Kate is respect  (and suicide)  :D
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline TWCAxew

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2018, 02:32:40 AM »
Until I flew it in a scenario (Southern Conquest), I thought a 110 would be cannon fodder in a high-alt scenario with P-51's, P-38's, and B-24's.  Instead, it held up OK, surprising me.

110's are beast :airplane:

DutchVII
DutchVII / ULDutch
~~2019 KOTH/TOC Champion~~
https://ahevents.net/index.php/events/scenarios/about-scenarios
4 time scenario C.O. ~ As dew appears, As dew Vanishes, Such is my life, Everything in this world, Is but a dream within a dream.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2018, 03:59:53 PM »
110's are beast :airplane:

DutchVII
Yes, especially when you have a BEAST of a wingman in a BEAST  :devil  :neener:
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain