Author Topic: I love this game but no other game I play has me tabbing out to fill time in  (Read 27318 times)

Offline asterix

• Nickel Member
... There are no streamers etc that can drag new people to the game. If you go to Twitch for ex you can find a ton of streamers playing PUBG, WT etc but not a single AH player.
More publicity is definitely better, but is streaming really that popular to watch? Streaming is long and sometimes with periods of nothing going on, so who has time?
Win 7 Pro 64, AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3,0 GHz, Asus M2N mobo, refurbished Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 GV-N960IXOC-2GD 2GB, Corsair XMS2 4x2GB 800MHz DDR2, Seagate BarraCuda 7200.10 ST3160815AS 160GB 7200 RPM HDD, Thermaltake Smart 430W

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
Bacon is awesome  :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
More publicity is definitely better, but is streaming really that popular to watch? Streaming is long and sometimes with periods of nothing going on, so who has time?

The most popular games have 80k vievers. Even a game like FSX have a few hundred viewers. But it also depends a lot on the streamers,
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
I think, approximately, action = (# players)/(combat area).

If you have 600 players and a combat area that is 20 x 20 sectors and lots of action, that might not work well anymore if you have 100 players.  In that case, you might need the combat area to be 8 x 8 sectors to get equivalent action.

I don't know if there is ability to have smaller terrains, but maybe you could control the effective combat area by not having anything usable, destroyable, or capturable outside the combat area you choose.

Agreed, you can find lots of action on "ndilses" and "baltic". Both maps are old maps and small. Though many complain about those maps due to the repetitiousness of them they due have a ton of action, GV, air to air, CV action, and buff to strat runs.

While Bustrs map are well thought out and detailed, maybe it would serve the game better if a few of these smaller type maps were whipped up with out all that detail to throw some freshness into the game. If there were 50+ maps you wouldnt see the same map twice in a month removing some of staleness. Having a lot of maps would also take away some of the memorization players seem to get.... turn right after this tree group, drive 100 yards, turn 20degrees right for 12.5 feet and park for spawn killing......or knowing which routes are favored in buff runs and so on. HTC could add a "Choose the map Wednesday" where by vote over the weekend a "favorite" map can be loaded up for Wednesday or some other promotion for a weekend run of maps, you know "interact with the community"  :D

Small maps can always be changed out for the larger maps should the numbers grow. I think running a bunch of maps would help even if they dont contain the "Bustresque" of some of the maps we have now.

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
What is that about?

I actually tab out to check other things on the internet whilst I am playing the game.  And I do not die very often doing it  lol

Need to tighten the fight, increase the action per hour quota IMO

that will only come with more players.  What everyone was hopping for with Steam, didn't happen and that was to attract and keep more players.  Unless the numbers increase the game will simply disappear.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
If only there was someone to tell us how to make maps..

Did I see what you did there?

:bolt:
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
325th VFG - "The Checkertails"
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
The most popular games have 80k vievers. Even a game like FSX have a few hundred viewers. But it also depends a lot on the streamers,

If I could have clear directions on how to do it. I would attempt it. I'm seriously not really good on the technical side for programs. Don't you have to get another type of film recorder? I might already have a twitch account.

This game surely needs a lot more promotion.

I also hated WT the first 30 minutes I played compared to AH.

The biggest reason why very few play compared to other games is really because of the subscription. A $15 a month just sounds expensive for a college student or young gamer on steam. It did for me. It does for my friends. 2 weeks just doesn't give them a chance for how hard this game is. I'm not saying it should be changed to "pay to win". I'm just looking at it from a psychological perspective. I think it's worth $15 a month. But many players who only have 2 weeks may not get it yet, and I can't play with friends I know becuase their sub is already over..

The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
I think a big issue these days is many of the tools put in place were designed around larger numbers. They were put there to make it more difficult for larger groups to succeed in steamrolling maps but not stop it all together. Those days are gone for the moment. What has always spurred combat was the prize of capturing the flag. I believe we need to reel some things back to encourage player vs player combat.

These are things that I think can be adjusted temporarily to get things rolling...

Perk the M3 with field supplies. Perk it heavily.

Raise the radar level and bring back the threat NOE raids. As of right now, there is zero reason for aircraft to dip below 15k once they’re up there.

Reduce the 88 and 5” icons to 6k like everything else and turn on the kill shooter for them. So if you’re plugging away at a furball, you nuke the gun if you hit a friendly.

Get rid of GV dar and even out the icons. I’m not a ground pounder and even I think the GV dar is stupid. Or, if you’re insistent on keeping it, increase the size of the block by 50%.

We have to police ourselves as a community too. I really wish there was a noob icon. Like a diamond over the icon if the player is within his free trial stage so you can help them and maybe not be so merciless to people who are trying to learn. I can’t imagine how hard it would be to start this game fresh and have 5 players doing the seagull thing.
"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke
P-47 pilot 56th Fighter Group.

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes

These are things that I think can be adjusted temporarily to get things rolling...

Perk the M3 with field supplies. Perk it heavily.

Why do you think perking the M3 would have any impact on the game?   My Squad spends time resupplying fields and I've yet to lose an M3.  I've been playing for a very very long time,  I can't remember the last time that I had an M3 taken out from under me.   Remember, perks are only spent if you lose the vehicle.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Why do you think perking the M3 would have any impact on the game?   My Squad spends time resupplying fields and I've yet to lose an M3.  I've been playing for a very very long time,  I can't remember the last time that I had an M3 taken out from under me.   Remember, perks are only spent if you lose the vehicle.

Even more reason to go back to 6K GV icons.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
Meh...I’d rather see the town re supply go away all together. But too many would cry about it. If they were perked it might give people some incentive to hunt them.
"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
I have to agree with mak. He has been here a long time. Perks??? Perk the damn p47m.  :devil
CO of the Hell Hounds. In Game: Rud3boi
*Ain't no grave can hold my body down.*

Top German Ace of Pantelleria 1943
            6./JG 27- 109G-2

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
I have to agree with mak. He has been here a long time. Perks??? Perk the damn p47m.  :devil
I’m good with that. It’ll take me a while to run through the 48000 fighter perks I have.

Seriously, If the MA took place above 20k most of the Jugs would need a perk.
~Hub Zemke

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member

... and if you go to the Wishlist subforum, and post major gameplay improvement ideas, you get shot down by the armchair generals who say the gameplay is fine.

Been saying this in threads for years and you are absolutely right they say it's "fine" but make no substantial argument why it's better the way it is and not the proposed change...

Jesus I might need to start another "M3 is OP" Post if this is true

I think a big issue these days is many of the tools put in place were designed around larger numbers.
I disagree, M3 town resupply was being used when there was 300+ in the MA and I was making threads about it all the way back then...2011 or 2012 was my first M3 thread.

Game META changes when players evolve and find somethings works over something else....Bomb and Bail, Town Resupply, Front quarter hot merges, tracers off vs tracers on....

a lot of the stubborn old timers will say "It's nothing we haven't seen before" because they are an old fool(Just look at the Aces High Facebook page, half the guys look like they are off their meds or on too many)

Best examples of changes HTC forced to change the games META....Whirbel Turret speed(sorry LTARS), Radar changes vs NOE raids(sorry Jokers), and IL2 3rd person view(sorry GHI)...probably the best game play updates I can remember other than the addition to planes and new graphics/terrain.

Best part of those type of changes....people don't leave because of them, whirbel players just started turning into the direction of their enemy, NOE raids didnt take buffs and went over water instead of land, and GHI started flying a hurricane and abusing ping in that instead
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline pope14

• Zinc Member

I streamed for 2-3 months mostly Aces High during that time. The best night for the game 3 streamers had around 12 people watching which put us around 250 games down on the game list, not many people will scroll down that far. Along with that most of my followers already played the game so I wasn't really bringing in anyone new. I tried to branch out a bit but with no success of anyone else watching from other games, just the same few people watching from Aces High. Something else is you cant search "Air combat" or "WW2 fighter game" on Twitch and find the game.

If I could have clear directions on how to do it. I would attempt it.

Send me a PM if you want to try it, I will do my best to help out.