Author Topic: Any thought being given to running the 12hr Battle of Britain event this year?  (Read 1024 times)

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Seems like "The Hardest Day". already have been designed and run successfully would be something that could run each year in the Fall since August/September was really the prime time of the real Battle of Britain.

Always seems to draw a good crowd.  Fun to fly either side.

August 18th is a Saturday this year after all, and that is the date considered "The Hardest Day"

Just sayin'
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline bgoldy

• Zinc Member
I’d love to fly another spit if this makes another run

Offline puller

• Gold Member
I like the idea of this too but...I just think it's too soon...And with nef being out...The CMs are gonna have to figure out how to handle one of these...

+1 on 12 hour scenario of some sort
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
Seems like "The Hardest Day". already have been designed and run successfully would be something that could run each year in the Fall since August/September was really the prime time of the real Battle of Britain.

Always seems to draw a good crowd.  Fun to fly either side.

August 18th is a Saturday this year after all, and that is the date considered "The Hardest Day"

Just sayin'

That time of year, people can make four Saturdays. 12 hour events should be ran in the summer with the other 2-3  being 4 frames.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
I can't speak for others but there is no way I can sit in a chair
for 12 hrs :eek:
"Would you tell me, please,
 which way I ought to go from here?
 That depends a good deal on where
 you want to get to. Said the cat."
    Charles Lutwidge Dodgson a.k.a. Lewis Carroll

Offline puller

• Gold Member
I can't speak for others but there is no way I can sit in a chair
for 12 hrs :eek:

The 12 hr scenarios are broken up into three 4 hour missions or four 3 hour missions...So sitting in for the entire 12 hours is up to the player...You can pick which missions you can sit in on...
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
That time of year, people can make four Saturdays. 12 hour events should be ran in the summer with the other 2-3  being 4 frames.

August 18th is still summer I thought.  It ran on the 17th of August last time
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
August 18th is still summer I thought.  It ran on the 17th of August last time

Summer doesn't end until late September, so you are right there. However, there is a difference between June and late August. I still believe 4 Saturdays is easier to make in September than June. Then again, this scenario in June averaged nearly 65 players per frame. So, maybe I am wrong.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Summer doesn't end until late September, so you are right there. However, there is a difference between June and late August. I still believe 4 Saturdays is easier to make in September than June. Then again, this scenario in June averaged nearly 65 players per frame. So, maybe I am wrong.

I think we're talking past each other.  Go figure :) 

I was just thinking it appropriate if it could be run, to fly the thing again on the 18th as was it's historical date in 1940.  B of B tends to draw decent, and as you said, numbers aren't good.  Spits and 109s tend to appeal to folks.  The notion of "The Hardest Day" fits well with a one day 12 hour event in my mind.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
IMO it's not enough time...

Both of my 12 hour scenarios were announced months ahead of time.

The Hardest Day was announced in April, ran in August. Target for Today recruiting started in January, publicly announced in early March and ran in late May.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!