Author Topic: Nvidia Driver 398.36  (Read 3641 times)

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Nvidia Driver 398.36
« on: July 12, 2018, 10:14:03 AM »
For the first time ever I was able to do a custom install of the Nvidia driver and when I unchecked the audio drivers, the installer did as I asked and did not install the audio drivers. This is a great day! Still installing the telemetry, though.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: Nvidia Driver 398.36
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 10:15:27 AM »
Well it is a step.  You can use autoruns to remove the telemetry.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 11:27:00 AM »
For the first time ever I was able to do a custom install of the Nvidia driver and when I unchecked the audio drivers, the installer did as I asked and did not install the audio drivers. This is a great day! Still installing the telemetry, though.
I noticed this as well.   :banana:

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 05:36:12 PM »
I too noticed lack of audio drivers install last time I installed new NVIDIA drivers, I think an ealrier version about a month or so back.....

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 10:04:05 AM »
What is "autorun" ?
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 10:15:47 AM »
What is "autorun" ?
Autoruns is a program for finding and managing programs that automatically run at system startup. Originally it was published by Sysinternals which was then bought by Microsoft.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 10:17:58 AM »
Well it is a step.  You can use autoruns to remove the telemetry.

I know you posted that just to remind everyone that comes along later!  :aok

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,393149.msg5218415.html#msg5218415
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2018, 01:40:52 PM »
Installed the new driver and it still installed the audio drivers even though I had unchecked in the custom menu.  Had to uninstall in the System panel.

New driver does seem to have improved my frame rate a bit -- though I didn't do a careful before/after comparison.  Also, haven't seen the "texture error" when mousing over a field yet, but it doesn't always show up right away.

Thanks for the Autoruns info -- disabled the telemetry as advertised.   :aok

So far.... so good.   :D

Spoke too soon, still getting the texture error.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 02:47:26 PM by popeye »
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2018, 05:30:14 PM »
I wouldn't run anything like AutoRun or BlackViper to kill processes.
Your OS may depend on a lot of those processes you're killing. (just because somebody said it's ok)  :headscratch:

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2018, 06:58:23 PM »
I wouldn't run anything like AutoRun or BlackViper to kill processes.
Your OS may depend on a lot of those processes you're killing. (just because somebody said it's ok)  :headscratch:

Coogan

BlackViper has been a trusted site for YEARS. I have used it to turn a junk desktop into a playable one long enough to save enough money to upgrade.

Dont "poo-poo" something until you have done a bit of research on it.

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2018, 10:14:49 PM »
BlackViper has been a trusted site for YEARS. I have used it to turn a junk desktop into a playable one long enough to save enough money to upgrade.

Dont "poo-poo" something until you have done a bit of research on it.

And what do you assume you know of my research?

Coogan
Game Id's:

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2018, 05:11:05 AM »

Coogan

BlackViper does a good job of explaining what each process does and whether it is safe or not to disable.  There are different options depending on how much resources you want to free up.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2018, 07:03:14 AM »
Autoruns can be dangerous and you do need to know what you are doing if you want to really streamline things.  If you do not know what something is, it is easy enough to search for it on the net and find out that it is and why it is there.

On its on, it does not do anything at all.  It requires you to actually click things to remove/stop them, so simply running it will give you an idea of what Windows is loading up and running in the background.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2018, 09:33:38 AM »

Coogan

as AKAK says.....

BlackViper does a good job of explaining what each process does and whether it is safe or not to disable.  There are different options depending on how much resources you want to free up.

Which is something you would have known if you had researched his site instead of throwing out a blanket statement.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2018, 12:58:29 PM »
BlackViper's guides, and that's all they are - - guides, will tell you what you need to know about what processes your particular OS is generally running at startup, what it does and why it needs to run. Or not. The guides are tailored for each OS and are reflective of a clean install without anything else going on. Great info to start tweaking your PC for gaming. Now, any other softwares you're running may invoke processes in support of what they're trying to do in addition to the windows processes. Some of it needs to run, say if you want sound or video! But some of it is pretty much BS(like this telemetry crap) that's just draining away clock cycles and /or bits on the internet.

Anyone even thinking of doing any of this should do more than a little bit of research on every process you might want to kill. Make sure before you just kill it that you CAN safely do so without doing damage to your install. Don't EVER kill a process without knowing exactly what it is. If you're not sure - - Google is your friend. If you're still not clear - - leave it alone! Can't stress that enough.

I haven't used autoruns but it sounds like it does a lot of the same stuff you can accomplish in the control panel, just with an automatic interface. Even so, the same rules I stated above apply. If you don't know what it is leave it the heck alone. It'll save you a bucket of hassle!

Of course, you wouldn't have to do any of this stuff if you are just gonna surf or word process. But chopping away all that extra drag from your CPU and memory can help you wring some extra performance out of your rig for gaming.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group